Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording to a laptop? wtf?!

• 01-05-2005 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Seeing as I have no desktop or 1210s here with me at present, I'm trying my hand at recording from CDJs into my laptop (via a mixer obviously!). Problem is it's not picking it up properly. I'm using Audacity (thanks PlazTT) and a gold-plated double-phono to microphone jack (small size)...all fits perfectly. The cable isn't really expensive but I didn't find it on the street either! :D

All I get is little/nothing reading on the inputs. Sometimes (intermittently) I get a really harsh reading on the microphone setting...but the music is barely audible behind the white noise.

I have the main output playing into a hifi so it's working. I have the booth turned up 3/4 way (already adjusted) and all cables are fully clicked in. Surely using a double-to-single shouldn't make the sound quality drop amazingly.

Any ideas? I'm only used to recording into an MD deck or a full PC with a decent soundcard, and I havn't done that for years.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Whatever software your using check what audio device its setup to record from and check all the settings are ok ie. stereo,4400khz ect. Also check your Line in in Sounds and Audio in your control panel.

I had a similar problem recently with an Amp, when in the Phono sockets it sounded ****,e, so i move it to the Cd ones and that fixed it, laptops for the most part don't have great sound cards, so the mic input of your comp could be crappy.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the help. Yeah I figured we were looking at a hardware deficiency here! Oh well I'll try tweek it and do it properly later.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

have ya thaught about buying a protools m box there a couople of hundred quid but dead handy

Ouch; they're seriously expensive. I've looked into some USB peripherals (sp?) before but really they're outa my budget, and I'm quite happy to use what I have (once it works!)

Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

Bri wrote:
    Ouch; they're seriously expensive. I've looked into some USB peripherals (sp?) before but really they're outa my budget, and I'm quite happy to use what I have (once it works!)

Thanks though.

O i do realise there quite a sustaniol investment but for 580 eruos u get that and 1500 euros of plugins .. just an idea that was all ...

• Advertisement

Dub_Ster wrote:
    O i do realise there quite a sustaniol investment but for 580 eruos u get that and 1500 euros of plugins .. just an idea that was all ...

And much appreciated. Something to save up for I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hmmm... i'm guessing that your mic input sucks ass...
    the volume of mic inputs are a hell of a lot higher than a line in (which you should be using but doubtfully have on a laptop)
    having it up at 3/4 is way to loud afair... you should have recording and mic levels both set at about 1/5 iirc

Right so thanks for the pointers. It's so frustrating that I don't have an expandable computer around me! But tbh it's just a way to de-stress during exams at present so I'm probably better off biding my time.

Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

Just adjust your mic levels. Go to properties in volume control and select mic. Thats all that could be wrong. Also try adjusting the mic level in the programme you are using.

2tel1 wrote:
    Just adjust your mic levels. Go to properties in volume control and select mic. Thats all that could be wrong. Also try adjusting the mic level in the programme you are using.
    Done all of the above already. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement