Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony's new Vaio Player

• 01-05-2005 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭

older version and new player

Looks like sony are finally starting to catch up with the ipod. First one's been out awhile but still looks impressive, pity it only has that crappy atrac system :mad:

Second one looks pretty damn good but the whole video playback thing is only really a gimmick at the moment. At least its got mp3 compatibility :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

And in a rare move for Sony, the player supports MP3 rather than the company's own ATRAC audio forma

sony have publicly admitted that mp3 is the way to go and that al there players would support it.
    they said this ages ago,
    strange that the regiseter dont know, since they reported it

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/23/sony_supports_mp3/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/30/sony_nw-hd3_mp3_player/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

older version and new player

Looks like sony are finally starting to catch up with the ipod. First one's been out awhile but still looks impressive, pity it only has that crappy atrac system :mad:

Second one looks pretty damn good but the whole video playback thing is only really a gimmick at the moment. At least its got mp3 compatibility :D

Where do you hear that it only supports ATRAC? All their new players support Native MP3. Even the MD.

I was listening to the Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1 in a Sony shop the other day. Sound was amazing. Interface was a bit odd. However its too limited feature wise for the price. Nice size though.

ricardo,
    check bargain alerts,
    there 220 from zee germans

You mean 220+VAT+DEL. Then you have to consider it doesn't record, no FM Radio and you have to use SonicStage which is a nightmare. Big capacity though, I'll give you that. Can't connect to the PC without a dock.

For my money I reckon a iRiver HD player is better featured. More expensive granted, but worth the extra.

i thought you were thinking of buying one but put off by the peats price.

i wouldnt touch one tbh

• Advertisement

Chalk wrote:
    i thought you were thinking of buying one but put off by the peats price.

i wouldnt touch one tbh

I'm still trying to justify the cost of an iRiver to myself, and then talk myself into buying one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Just recived the VGF-AP1L (40gb model) today. Ordered it from www.cyberport.de last monday and got it today for a very tidy sum of €247 euro.
    Being playing about with it for the past few hours and im very very impressed. Only thing that worried me about it was the lack of mp3 support but im in the middle of downloading new firmware for the player to fix all that. The input design is odd at first but you get used to it and i think its a lot better than an ipod. Looks the biz too.
    I give it 9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

For my money I reckon a iRiver HD player is better featured. More expensive granted, but worth the extra.

:eek: I thought u were a sony fan boy.

A few questions about the sony-

Plays mp3s after firmware update?
    Has 20gm cap?
    Has 30 our battery life?
    How's the sony service/support?
    You can only add files to it thru the sony software? (that sucks)

What features such as play lists and things like that does it have?

:eek: I thought u were a sony fan boy.

Dunno where you got that idea. I like their design, but its a bit patchy these days. 2 steps forward 4 back, that kinda thing.

You need SS to copy music. Data can be copied drag and drop via explorer AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I'm still trying to justify the cost of an iRiver to myself, and then talk myself into buying one. :D

Same as me, want it but its damn expensive, any chance there might be a price cut soon, can't really find any bargains out there mx2.com seems the best priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Plays mp3s after firmware update?
    Yup , downloaded all the firmware updates from the sony site and Roberts your fathers brother.
    Has 20gm cap?
    20gm?
    Has 30 our battery life?
    Nope has a 20 hour battery life (well it bloody better have since it takes 6 hrs to charge)
    How's the sony service/support?
    Dunno, have'nt had any problems with it but any other sony products ive had always been great support
    You can only add files to it thru the sony software? (that sucks)
    Yeh SonicStage is the dodgiest program I've ever seen in my life. the music transfer program is handy but I need to find a proper transfer program
    What features such as play lists and things like that does it have?
    Show pictues on the LCD screen , has playlist setup, can import pics straight from your digital camera....Good few little bits here and there.

comet wrote:
    Same as me, want it but its damn expensive, any chance there might be a price cut soon, can't really find any bargains out there mx2.com seems the best priced.

Peats is cheaper for the H320SE. Which has to be a first for Peats.

Advertisement