Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dj/producer Competition.....

• 01-05-2005 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Why dont we set up a dj/producer competion within our forum, we could do it every month or so, i wouldnt have a clue how to set it up so mabey some moderators could get involved here, mabey it could be broken into genres, obiviously there is a time limit on the sets, also we could do a comp for producers of toons too, person with the most votes wins etc?? how would all that work, would it be possible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

production comp sounds like a good idea.
    we should have 2 samples that have to be used in every track...
    (just copying the idea from the bangingtunes.com production comps)

there should be a private (panel of judges) and public vote for it. the public vote counting for 50% and the private the other 50% of the votes.

dj comp sounds like a good idea also.
    would be tricky with the varying styles you're gonna get here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭DJ RichieParker

i dunno about just giving two samples, let people make what they want with their own samples, mabey the writer of the track has to submitt all the samples he/she uses or submitt there track in full then all the samples used to make the track seperate..

I know what your saying bout the dj comp, mabey do a house music comp one month then a techno then whatever and so on, strictly no classics mixes have to be original???

What ya tink

i actually thought that forcing people to use 2 particular samples (1 vocal and 1 that was an absolute hoor to fit into the track) was a great idea.
    it levels the playing field a bit and is always interesting to see how each producer handled fitting the given samples into their track.

who wants to organise each comp then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I'd be up for this, good way to show off peoples productions and varying skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Let the games begin!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

So, what do ye guys think? I would deffo be up for the comp. A few questions arise:

What samples could we use? (where could we get them)
    How long will the comp run?
    How long should the tune be?

I also think that maybe we could use whatever samples we want. Doing this should introduce categories (ie techno comp, trance, drum n bass etc)

I would love to see this working out tbh. Would be a good laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Really good idea, can i be in your Cheer Squad Loobz :D

kinkstr wrote:
    Really good idea, can i be in your Cheer Squad Loobz :D

Em... no. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Production comps on boards are cursed. Lots of gushing followed by zero entries.

Well ive never had experience with a boards production comp. Id still be interested in a bit of tunage.

• Advertisement

Ok check this out, lets start with a house music production competition,
    Lets set the date for final entries to be no later than 2 weeks, we should finalise it to an exact date and time like midnight on the last night no more entries.

use one thread for all the producers tracks and stress that no comments are to be added in that thread only by the producers with a short few lines on there production how and with what they made it with

then we could use another thread just for votes lets say for example if someone is voting for example Bri cuz he's my best freind and we made love all last night it was great, anyway lets say if bri was voting for me which i know he will all that will be in his post is Richie Parker or whoever the producer is , there will be a closing date on votes too..

What dya tink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Not a bad idea,and it should be centred around all genres of dance music as well from Acid House To Drum n Bass........ :)

yea i know what you mean johnny but lets just start with the most obivious and get it off the ground, i dont care what genres we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Havn't heard your tunes yet so maybe I will vote for ya...Just to spite you of course :D

Sounds good...won't be entering but looking forward to hearing the stuff.

Nice to see Richie and Bri have made friends, what better way to do it than to make love all night. I swear, i laughed so hard when I read that, after what happened previously. :D Lets keep it that way lads. ;)

Anyway, I agree with all genres being covered, its only fair. But we would have to make a list of what will be covered, no late entries. One thing that still confuses me, what samples are we gonna use? And how will they work through a range of genres. That would be a challenge in itself. :confused:

Why are u not gonna give it a shot Bri? Youve had a dabble at this before, no? If so, I say go for it, It will be a laugh anyway. I think anyone who has some experience should do this. We would still have to get a few things straightened out. What do ye think?

I agree with you Richie. Good ideas about seperate threads there. Is there not a way of combining threads so it would make things a bit more tidy? Im not sure tbh.

loobs your hung up on the idea of just using certain samples, just use whatever samples you want i feel, music tech mag or computer music mag are great for samples but im sure you have your own, like i know what you mean by just using certain samples that it would be a challenge but i duno i think we should just do it straight forward for the start what you think..

ok we need to make a thread advertising the competition, the first post will be the rules what we are looking for and when it is to be in by so i think we should all make the rules in this thread then only when we are happy with them proceed to post the competition thread, now this isnt going to turn into a debate for two weeks on the fine mechanics of how the comp should run, lets form basic rules and get this **** on...

mabey a moderator could form a new user name and post the rules. the user name could be called "competition referee" or something, rather than me or you posting it, it would be a little more official, then when the entry date for the productions is up only then will the "competition referee" post the voting thread with strict rules on the first post say if you want to vote for your favorite production only post the producers name, there will be a time limit on votes, it will be clear to see then which producer was most popular "this time" we could run the comp every month or two weeks..

There is a good possibility that the people who are popular on here allready are going to get the most votes, like me, but hopefully people can leave asside there alliances and just vote for their favorite toon, hopefully it wont turn out like the DJ awards with the same guy winning it all the time, so tiesto is definately banned from this comp....

i dont think canvassing should be allowed, like for instance say if a producer in the comp logs in under a diferent name and says "hey you guys check out this cracking new toon i made" my god i just hate that sort of ****, im sure yee know what i mean, but dont worry your little heads we will smoke out the culprits..........

Any way the next post please

Loobz wrote:
    Nice to see Richie and Bri have made friends, what better way to do it than to make love all night. I swear, i laughed so hard when I read that, after what happened previously. :D Lets keep it that way lads. ;)
    lol.
    Loobz wrote:
    Why are u not gonna give it a shot Bri? Youve had a dabble at this before, no?
    Might sound silly but I don't have the time to enter - currently studying for my masters and am in exam-time for the next while to make it worse (Hence me stuck at a computer all day). I've also no experience in production so I know it would take me yonks to get learn and make some I thought was satisfactory. Happy to help out otherwise.

Best of luck with your masters Bri. If i were you, Id steer well clear of this if you want to get some study done. Its so addictive once you get going. :)

What kind of time frame would we work with to get a tune finished? I remember makin a tune a few years back and it took a few months. That was on my own and I was learning all the time I suppose.

Who is seriously thinking of entering this comp? The summer is on the way and I cant see many people spending their spare time in front of their PC tbh. What do ye think?

i think we should give it two weeks to make the tracks, but we need to get it started soon...

So please post a reply here anyone who would be interested to enter the comp, there is no real point if there is just one or too, although i think if we get at least 5 entries we could go with that then once people see it going more will want to enter...

I was also thinking down the line a bit if it really took off we could buy a domain and webspace and upload the tracks there also showing the previous winners and their tracks, that is way down the line but its food for thought

So cmon who wants to enter...

Mabey i should start a new thread " who wants to enter producer comp here"

Nah, no need for another thread yet. this one has a suitable title already ;)

Well Im up for it, anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What kind of programs can we use? I mean if one person is using Reason and another is using FruityLoops, the person with reason is obviously gonna have a big advantage, no?

You can say all you want about talent etc, but I think we should have some rules regarding this.

Anima wrote:
    What kind of programs can we use? I mean if one person is using Reason and another is using FruityLoops, the person with reason is obviously gonna have a big advantage, no?

You can say all you want about talent etc, but I think we should have some rules regarding this.

Agreed. Depends on what you can make the software do for you tbh. But some software is definitley a lot more powerful and would cause disadvantages.

well look if your not happy with the program that you are using and the results you get from that program dont enter your track, cmon like ya either make a track or dont, i dont agree with everyone using the same programs etc, for the record im in for the comp too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 djeoinc

ye i'll submitt but i think we sould use any programs we like it doe'snt matter me i use sonysoundforge 7 & acid pro 4 they work for me so there sould be no rules of which programs to use, u could have the biggest & most expensive studio in the world and still make a crap tune while some one using a sequencer could make some thing amazing so that what i think i made good tunes on the programs i use so there should be no set rules just make a tune & submit it

Suppose so. Feck it, Im gonna be using about 4 programs all together. Everyone should use what they are used to. :)

Make with the samples already.

so are you up for it ste-, how many people is that 5?

I'm up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭zafa

im game if i have the time

• Advertisement

started working on my track earlier today... from the sounds of it, i'm gonna need as much of a headstart as possible :p
    shall we bother using 2 obligatory samples?
    say just one vocal sample instead?
    it can be ****ed arsebackwards into a pretty much unrecognisable state if needs be :)

Is that any vocal sample or a specified one?

a specified one.
    not sure what to suggest though... i might have a root through my samples tomorrow to see if i can find anything suitable.

something hard to use, or preferably cheesy as f*ck will provide a suitable challenge

Duno what yeer on about guys i aint using any obligatory samples, plus another thing do we have enough space on here to post one track each or do you just post a link with yer track hosted somewhere else..

Also there should be a time limit, also i think we should all submitt our tracks at the same time well close enough anyway, rather than some1 having there track up for ages...

so i take it the comp is on then, i better get cracking

If you are reading this, go back and read the whole thread and post here if you wana get involved or any questions, this is a house music production comp.........

Duno what yeer on about guys i aint using any obligatory samples

what the f*cks the point in this whole thing then :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

As much as I'm not involved, I'd have to suggest that the competition holds up until a few ground rules are laid out, as opposed to being simply disscussed. The main reasons being the samples but also the timelimit, upload whereabouts and so on. Maybe Lenny could make this a sticky and so on...

Personnally, I'd think the sample should be predetermined and either recognisable, or perhaps obscure, or even themed - let everyone get their own but have it based on a recurring theme. Just a few ideas, and as I said I'm not entering so :D

well i did hope some moderators would get on board but i dont think they will until it gets bigger, i wreckon that if the people who are interested at the moment just start it and come the time when we have are toons posted to be voted on i feel a lot more people will take the plunge and enter the next one..

Ok as regards the whole sample thing i felt that even though its very broad the theme was "house music" just to kick it off. mabey rather than pick out specific samples lets home in on the theme more and close it down, for example we could have to make a funky house track, acid house track, deep house track, old school house (if there is such a genre) so do you get the picture..

replying to your comment "whats the f-in point" the point is makin toons and tryna get a comp going.

zafa wrote:
    something hard to use, or preferably cheesy as f*ck will provide a suitable challenge
    Off the top of my head I could offer ya 2 acapellas I have ready to go: Mr Jack - House Music or Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life if you want some very recognisable vocal samples for House. Perhaps simply the "jack your body" or "this is fresh" part of the former? That might not suit at all but thought I'd get the slow ball rolling. :D

Richie: Lenny is the only regular Mod on this forum. Lucutus doesn't seem to be around.

Bri wrote:
    As much as I'm not involved, I'd have to suggest that the competition holds up until a few ground rules are laid out, as opposed to being simply disscussed. The main reasons being the samples but also the timelimit, upload whereabouts and so on. Maybe Lenny could make this a sticky and so on...
    aye.
    even though i won't be entering this part of the comp, i think some groundrules should be set down before everybody starts.
    i was thinking 2 weeks would be adequete... 3 is a bit more like it. then a week for judging etc before the next comp gets underway?
    soundclick.com is a great place to host tracks imo. it only takes a few seconds to register to download (and you don't even have to register if you're a sneaky bastard like Ste-)

Lenny. if you're reading this, clear your ****ing pms out a bit man. i've tried sending you a couple recently regarding stickies...

Bri wrote:
    Off the top of my head I could offer ya 2 acapellas I have ready to go: Mr Jack - House Music or Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life if you want some very recognisable vocal samples for House. Perhaps simply the "jack your body" or "this is fresh" part of the former? That might not suit at all but thought I'd get the slow ball rolling. :D

Richie: Lenny is the only regular Mod on this forum. Lucutus doesn't seem to be around.

i dont care what the sample is, if someone yousendit's so everyone can dl it im game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I'd be up for it. I have a few crappy dance tracks I have done in the past year or so. Love to hear the criticsms on them! :)

Seanie.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

tman pm away, the ammount of emails I was getting from boards to empty my pm box, I had a lot of important stuff in here I didn't want to delete

Advertisement