Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels-Cork Game

• 02-05-2005 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Can't wait to get to the match tomorrow night, hopefully it'll be a cracking game.
    Of course, I'd be happy with a 2-0 win for goal difference but I'd say it'd more likely be one goal between the sides.
    Anyone else have a prediction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

4-1 Shelbourne... ;) Relaistically, I think we should win it 2-0, or 2-1. Abviously with GD looking likely to be very important, I hope we win by 2 clear goals. But Cork have been fantastic away from home so far this season and are a very good side. So who knows? Lets just pray Shels put in another of the fantastic performances of late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

we're missing a few players tonight, danny murphy and alan bennett are suspended, john o'flynn is (still) out with a hip injury, while kevin doyle is struggling with a calf injury..

hopefully our magic away form wont fail us tonight, but i'd settle for a draw.. and i think it will be a draw too

At least if we draw tonight, we can still rely on the Ports to do us a favour! ;) Fingers crossed, either way, should be a fantastic match!

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    At least if we draw tonight, we can still rely on the Ports to do us a favour! ;) Fingers crossed, either way, should be a fantastic match!

agreed, pity i'm stuck in cork at work and have to resort to setanta tv.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

yeah i think we would be very happy with a draw tonight. i can't see us going there and winning, although hopefully i'm proved wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

A two goal win means Cork have to put four past Portadown I think, though it is ofc possible it's very unlikely, so a win by two or more and we're there. A one goal win though and, I think, a two goal win for Cork v Portadown puts them through. A draw or a loss and we're out and Cork are all but through.

I think Gary O'Neil is back, but Crowe is out. So it'll be either O'Neil or Fitzpatrick beside Jayo or we may go with Wes 'in the hole' like against Portadown, with Bobby Ryan on the left. I think that's how Fenlon will go, with Byrne and Ndo in central mid field and Baker on the right. The advantage there I suppose is you'll have the two strikers on the bench which is a great option to have, but I'd rather he went with two up front.

Very difficult to predict, just come on the Shels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very difficult indeed. The loss of Bennett is huge for City, but Greg O Halloran will make up for Murphys absense.

I would be delighted with a draw, as it would effectively put Shels out, even a one goal defeat aint the worst result in the world for City, and if I were a betting man, thats what Id go for.

2-1 Shels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Hi, just got allowed access :)

I predict a 2-1 win for Shels, as they are almost always top at home, but with Cork being good away I don't predict a thumping either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Controversial win for Shels .. keeps the Group wide open ... felt a bit sorry for Cork but thats football for ya ... Shels still can go through :)

Just home now, the crowd where was thought it was in ;) I think Shels deserved the win anyways, Cork didn't seem to have a whole lot about them, especially up front. Either way, I'm happy, and fair ****s to the linesman! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Yeah, just back I'm not entirely sure that it was over the line but I believe we deserved the win.
    Hawkins and Scouse were rock-solid in defence and Bobby Ryan was good when he came on.
    I thought Willo was a bit shaky and slow off his line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yeah, just back I'm not entirely sure that it was over the line but I believe we deserved the win.

Well if ye deserved it then of course it was over! :rolleyes:

Ching ching. Those officials seemed to make sure Shels would win last night. It was apparent from the first few minutes than City were not going to get a single decision. It was not a goal, no way, no how.....even if it was over the line, there IS NO WAY the linesman could have seen it, as Mick Devines body would have TOTALLY blocked his view. To say that its a disgrace is to understate the matter completely.

As for the game, there is no denying that $h€£$ dominated and deserved the win, but the manner in which it happened is disgusting. After the game, Fenlon did a Wenger - "I didnt see it", Rico was furious, and Devine questioned the officials.

Our win over Ports in 2 weeks will be all the sweeter now.

Erra.. these things happen.. Shels dominated the game and I feel they deserved to win.. Just the "goal" isnt sitting easily with me this morning. But the referee awarded it, it stands, we'll just have to get over it.. ah well...

Why gamble didnt start i just dont know, we really missed him.. bringing him on for the last 5 minutes just isnt good enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    It was apparent from the first few minutes than City were not going to get a single decision.
    You are, of course, joking. We had four penalty appeals turned down in the course of a minute, two of which were stonewallers.
    gimmick wrote:
    It was not a goal, no way, no how.....
    :D

"City, it wasn't over the line"

But come on now, in the two Setanta games between the clubs the officials have been disgraceful. What with the goon sending Crawley off after Gerogie's amateur theatrics in the game in Turner's X, then last night. I haven't seen any replays, and I was at the far end of the ground, so I can't really comment on the legitimacy of the goal.
    gimmick wrote:
    Our win over Ports in 2 weeks will be all the sweeter now.
    I hope you are here to eat your words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Whats the story now with the final games ?? Shels need a Portadown - Cork Draw or ??? whats the scenarios that see each side go through ??

city need to win by two clear goals, or the odd goal in 7 to advance on goal difference

seansouth wrote:
    You are, of course, joking. We had four penalty appeals turned down in the course of a minute, two of which were stonewallers.

When? If Shels had any penalty appeals last night, they would have been given. There were so many times where there would have been a 50/50 between players, and it went Shels direction. Even the most biased can see that the ref last night was a 'homer' of the highest order.

However, thats football, and these things happen.

Now that Portadown have nada to play for, I cant see them giving too much of a game....i hope anyways.

There's was at least TWO blatant CCFC handballs in the box during the first half.

Typical anti-CCFC conspiracy isn't it?! I mean, poor poor Cork, everybodys out to get them. GROW UP.

It ports win they finish second, which will make it look like there's less of a gap between N/S. I can see them playing for that, they're a proud club and wont want to lose 2 games in a row to Southern opposition.

There's was at least TWO blatant CCFC handballs in the box during the first half.

Oh ya, I remember now, the ones not a single player appealled for.
    Typical anti-CCFC conspiracy isn't it?! I mean, poor poor Cork, everybodys out to get them. GROW UP.

Look at the 'goal' and tell me how the linesman could have awarded that goal.
    It ports win they finish second, which will make it look like there's less of a gap between N/S. I can see them playing for that, they're a proud club and wont want to lose 2 games in a row to Southern opposition.

They certainly wont lie down, but they wont be as up for it as they would be if they had a chance of progress. They will be off on the summer holidays, and wont be wanting a broken leg, so dont de surprised to see them not quite going for those 50/50 balls.

• Advertisement

Typical Cork whinging. The ref was crap, not biased, try to see beyond the decisions that didn't go your own clubs way please. Our fans were constantly changing 'you don't know what you're doing' etc etc at the ref because he was crap! Alot of decisions went against and you can't just ignore the penalty ones that any 'biased' ref would have given in a heartbeat, no doubt about it.

But oh no sorry I forgot, the anti Cork City conspiracy that last week reached Scotland has finally taken over Northern Ireland. Is there anywhere safe for Cork to play anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Don't think it was a goal but the ref was rubbish. Not biased tho.

Anyone reckon Portadown won't be up for the City game because they have nothing to play for?

You can't say Owen Heary getting booked was because of the ref being biased in our favour.
    If that had been the case he wouldn't have been cautioned at all.

^^^ Constant fouling is what he was booked for - not for any particular incident.

Even if we got a lucky decision it was justified considering Georgie's thespian talents on display at the Cross on Easter Monday. And there was no question of cheating with match officials etc. Your just a bitter Villager.

gimmick wrote:
    ^^^ Constant fouling is what he was booked for - not for any particular incident.
    So how come he didnt book Kearney for "simulation" in the opening minutes if he was so Shelbourne biased?

shelsfan, you need to tone it down a bit, remember, personal insults are bannable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nice thread, kinda pissed no Tv replays on news or photos in paper for general public to see.

Expected more publicity for some reason.

kdjac

shelsfan wrote:
    Your just a bitter Villager.

:D :rolleyes:
    So how come he didnt book Kearney for "simulation" in the opening minutes if he was so Shelbourne biased?

Kearney didnt simulate, he was knocked off balance, edged off the ball, no foul, no dive.....nothing. Its a contact sport, everytime a guy goes to ground doesnt mean foul.

Ive also noted no one has tried to answer my question earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement

shelsfan, you need to tone it down a bit, remember, personal insults are bannable.

Yeah, sorry just they always have some conspiracy theory.

What are you on about? Conspiracy theory? Where did i ever mention that? I may have said that the ref was a total 'homer', but conspiracy?

gimmick wrote:
    Ive also noted no one has tried to answer my question earlier in the thread.
    I'm not sure, but are you talking about this :
    gimmick wrote:
    Look at the 'goal' and tell me how the linesman could have awarded that goal.
    Allow me to address it.

He flagged straight away, so he obviously was convinced that it was in. It's not as if he dithered about it. The referee didn't even go to consult, which would lead me to believe he thought it was in, but wasn't sure. After the linesman flagged, he knew for sure.

That, or the linesman was Russian, they do a great line in Linesman Optical Equipment :p

The ref did consult with the linesman, as play continued for a few seconds. And IMO, the linesman flagged too quickly ie he expected it to go in, saw Devine saved it, but would have looked stupid(er) had he haken the flag down.

And as Ive already mentioned/asked - how good could his view have been, and secondly was he actually in line with the play? From watching eL officials for years, they rarely are, so Im not sure that this guy could be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    Nice thread, kinda pissed no Tv replays on news or photos in paper for general public to see.

Expected more publicity for some reason.

kdjac
    RTE news showed the highlights.

eirebhoy wrote:
    RTE news showed the highlights.

Arse west brom were on Sky.

read all 5 irish papers in work(busy day :D) and not a pic to be seen of this "goal".

kdjac

• Advertisement

A picture would have proved nothing, to be fair.

You would have needed a photographer on the line for any kind of conclusive evidence.

Was it the same linesman in the Champions League Semi Final I wonder :D

Do we hear any Chelsea fans spouting the following
    gimmick wrote:
    Ching ching. Those officials seemed to make sure Shels would win last night.
    The "Ching ching" comment, what exactly is being implied here, that the officials were somehow bribed?

By who exactly. Shelbourne? eircom? Irish League? The Anti-Cork Worldwide Conglomerate Everyone is against us Consortium especially them filthy jackeens, sure we're the real capital anyway TM?

seansouth wrote:
    The Anti-Cork Worldwide Conglomerate

So you've finally named your little group :p ?

;):D

For what it's worth.

The goal from Setanta coverage.

It's pretty inconclusive.

I got this from the Cork City Forums btw.
    http://www.corktrophycentre.com/highlights/shels020505.zip

Lol i feel Gimmicks pain.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Gimmick, I'm not disputed it didn't go past the line I'm disputing your claim that there was some bribery.

Well the rules state that the ref and linemans has to be 100% sure that it was over the line.

Do they make super linesmen up the north or something.

It will be all sweeter now when Cork City thump portadown by more then 2 goals :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

jank wrote:
    It will be all sweeter now when Cork City thump portadown by more then 2 goals :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)
    Yes, I can see the smileys, there's enough of them :)

But, I hope you are back to eat your words.

This is a serious question.

What happens if the game is 3-3?

Sorry about that, brain fart.

If it's 3-3 Shels go through

:o

I know...as I said, Brain Fart

What happens if the game is 2-0 :rolleyes:

Brain fart that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jank wrote:
    Well the rules state that the ref and linemans has to be 100% sure that it was over the line.

Do they make super linesmen up the north or something.

The same linesman must have been at last nights game in Anfield. :)

I think you mean, what happens if it's 3-2 to Cork?

If it 3-2 to City, Shels go through. However, if its 4-3 City, City go through on goals scored I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement