Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband counter acting up

• 02-05-2005 7:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Got my broadband on the 29th April. I downloaded about 1 GB of stuff, because it would reset on the 1st of May, or so I thought. Yesterday it had reset back to 0MB. That was great, so off I went. I'm also running down2home, a bandwidth monitor, and yesterday i only transfered 60MB. I log on to the broadband counter on UTV today, and its says i've download 1gb and uploaded 65mb. Can someone tell me whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

mp3guy - I'm also a UTV customer, and I discovered this amazing trick. If you ring 1890926111, there's this bunch of people there who call themselves "UTV Technical Support". They've been able to tell me what's going on any time I needed to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You've been able to get through to them?

Well done to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

tomk wrote:
    mp3guy - I'm also a UTV customer, and I discovered this amazing trick. If you ring 1890926111, there's this bunch of people there who call themselves "UTV Technical Support". They've been able to tell me what's going on any time I needed to know.

I've obviously tried that, they're closed the bank holiday weekend.
    What day of the month does the bandwidth reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

This happens to BT customers also.

Due to the time taken to log your usage(usually 24 hours) your counter reset at midnight but the last days were not logged yet.

When the data transfer is finally logged youve got an almost instantaneous download of 1GBytes on your account.

I suggest you just grin and take it as there isnt a damn thing that you can do about it!!!

man thats annoying... only 7GB of bandwidth left now... so at the end of the month, what must i do to prevent this?

• Advertisement

They usually update their usage stats over night and they can't update the stats until you're disconnected.

So if you leave a download running so that say 0.99GB is downloaded before 12:00 first day of month, and 0.01GB is downloaded after, the full 1GB is counted as next month's download.

Even if you disconnect before then, you still run the risk as they wait till the night runs over before updating the stats.

Do all your downloading at least 2 days before the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Happened to me too. I always try and use up my last bit of bandwidth at the end of the month. However, it seems that your stats are only recorded when you disconnect (not just through Windows, but powering off your PC and losing the connection completely). This is not in the terms and conditions and really irritated.

I don't know what this 'tomk' fella is on about. Getting through to a rep on that number is like finding a needle in a haystack. When I did get through, they basically told me to f*ck off because they weren't going to rectify the problem. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mp3guy wrote:
    man thats annoying... only 7GB of bandwidth left now... so at the end of the month, what must i do to prevent this?

switch to a real isp like esat bt, they give u 12 gig or 24 gig for much less and they dont enforce caps unless u are downloading 24/7 on the low packages.

well, on utv we get free local calls off peak...its worth the low cap.

We don't.

Signing up to the free calls would require another 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mp3guy wrote:
    well, on utv we get free local calls off peak...its worth the low cap.

then take ur medicine from those cowboys tbh,u get nothing for nothing

no, i'm signed up for the talk aswell

Advertisement