Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it a Dublin thing?

• 02-05-2005 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Yes this is a media question, more or less, its about those cheesey musical advertisements. Just when we thought we hadd gotten our selves a break from the GO HARVEY GO!!!!! advert, now we have a new one which is equally if not more annoying.

Tallaught Ford's advertisement is starting to drive me up the shagging wall, i have their damned telephone number going round and round in my head.

But This is just the latest in a litany of these musical adverts. I can still remember the ones from the eighties. such as Bargaintown. and Des Kelly the carpet man, not to mention

northside....northside....the Great Great shopping centre."

Please could someone in the BCI restrict these adverts to local dublin stations so as to preserve the sanity of the rest of us :)

There probably is places outside Dublin that use this horrendous type of advertiseing, but its mostly Dublin based companies that use them.

four double 0 double 0 double four....there I go again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tallaught Ford's advertisement is starting to drive me up the shagging wall, i have their damned telephone number going round and round in my head.
    But This is just the latest in a litany of these musical adverts. I can still remember the ones from the eighties. such as Bargaintown. and Des Kelly the carpet man, not to mention
    northside....northside....the Great Great shopping centre."
    four double 0 double 0 double four....there I go again.

Seeing as you remember the phone number and the company, it shows that the advert has worked.

Sadly companies have copped on that people will remember really annoying adverts as well as really funny ones. It is much easier to create the former type, hence some quasi-Australian man bellowing down the radio at us.

But I have to say Harvey Norman comes a close second to the most annoying advert IMO - that. fùcking. crazy. frog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Radio adverts have long been the least imaginative form of advertisment...
    "Hotel breaks for €20 in Clare"
    "Hotel breaks for €20 in Clare?"
    "That's right, hotel breaks for €20 in Clare!"
    "I can't believe it, hotel breaks for €20 in Clare... how do I avail of this fantastic offer?"
    "just call 1234 567"
    "1234 567?"
    "That's right..."
    And so on.

But it does seem to work, you do remember the number. Generally when I see/hear an ad that really annoys me I make a pledge not to buy that product in protest (until they make a better ad). It isn't always workable, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Teh absolute worst one at the moment - and it isn't a Dublin one - has to be the one for some insurance comapany, where they sing along the telephone number to the tune of
    "Itsy bitsy teeny weeny, yellow pokla dot bikini"
    Get a clue lads.
    THE NUMBERS DON'T FIT. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Teh absolute worst one at the moment - and it isn't a Dublin one - has to be the one for some insurance comapany, where they sing along the telephone number to the tune of
    "Itsy bitsy teeny weeny, yellow pokla dot bikini"
    Get a clue lads.
    THE NUMBERS DON'T FIT. :mad:

that isn't even radio, but it is a stupid ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

i once heard a Limerick Chamber of Commerce advertorial extolling the virtues of the town... It was on Today FM at about 5 in the morning. their by-line was "Limerick.... it's better than most places" fell off my chair at that one.

bad as it was, i remembered it... still haven't set up in biz there yet tho'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

eoin_s wrote:
    hence some quasi-Australian man bellowing down the radio at us.

Actually, he's a senior manager in the Irish operation, and an actual Ozzie, so you know where to send your complaints to.

That Bollix,
    Harvey Norman,
    Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

landser wrote:
    i once heard a Limerick Chamber of Commerce advertorial extolling the virtues of the town... It was on Today FM at about 5 in the morning. their by-line was "Limerick.... it's better than most places" fell off my chair at that one.

bad as it was, i remembered it... still haven't set up in biz there yet tho'

The fact that what the advertisement was promoting, conflicts with your views is not the issue, the issue is whether or not annoying singing advertisements are a phenomenon unique to local dublin busineses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

zenith wrote:
    Actually, he's a senior manager in the Irish operation, and an actual Ozzie, so you know where to send your complaints to.

That Bollix,
    Harvey Norman,
    Dublin.

I heard him interviewed on Today FM before, I could swear he said he was Irish, born in Donegal, but lived in Oz for about 30 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

They had the same bloke doing ads back in australia..... thought id heard the last of him till I heard him in the car on way home from airport... funny...

Advertisement