Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"the games industry is dead" - seemingly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

GTA style game is better over a fairly large area than a huge one.

If the area is too big it's harder for a player to get to know(important in gta).

A huge area also means a lot more "filler" and more development time.

Better a smaller, well laid out area than a huge bland one!

Your more than likely right uber after all i cant think of many people who would embark on a 3 hour car trip up the motorway to get to liberty city on their ps2 .
    If you want world sized maps play Civ 3 or alpha centauri?

Civ and Alpha Centauri have both given me many years good gaming and have raised Sid Myer to the status of god in my house /me looks at shirn in the corner. how ever they are plagued with problems mostly revolving around their very simply diplomatic - trade systems and their small maps (Rome total war suffers from this as well) even the largest map will only give you 3-6 days gameplay if your good at the game where as id love to be able to play a single civ game for a month or more where at the end the ONLY real option
    For finishing the game isn’t all out war fair.
    If a map gets very big for a strategy game like black and white 2 the experiance gets diluted

Well b and w is more a sandbox game than anything. The fact you’re forced to move on to the next level sooner or later always annoyed me and it was nearly always as a result of running out of wood or space for your villages.
    One possibility for a single player GTA style game could be where the game could be updated, and the world/map could expand, as well as old sections changing (for example a cities would change like real cities) – with new missions using old and new

The idea of a updateing city/play area is class imho and i would like to see it happen you would probley have to pay a monthly or update charge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I want to know who in the hell stole my truck for those pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Video-games are uncool in America in a way they haven't been here since before the playstation. The bulk of consumers there is made up of children and stereotyped adult nerds; a type you don't really get here.
    The whole mentality there is different. This article seems ridiculous here; but it maybe would be more plausible over there.
    That said, I still entirely disagree with the author; perhaps even moreso when taking the social differences into account.
    Video games will become cool over there; they already are beginning to. Dance Dance Revolution was a huge hit and very much accepted by the cool crowd and adults; tapping into the nation's exaggerated concern for bodyshgape, and show-offy attitudes. When this happens a very large and wealthy new market will be opened up for video-games.
    New forms of interactivity is probably the way to go. More complex actions should be needed to play than pressing buttons and moving a mouse or joystick. The author's referral to simple retro games is stupid and probably based on nostalgia more than logic.
    The kind of simple games written from the developer's bedroom that made up the industry 20 years ago still have their place in the market anyway: Flash games to promote Websites.
    Games which require a fee to play or buy will become still more complex and immersive, and probably continue to use the internet to a greater and greater extent. Something new might eveolve from MMPORPGs. Maybe a giant graphical chatroom with highly advanced interactive features or something. I don't know. I do know that there is a multitude of possiblities, and that the industry will continue to grow and evolve.

edit:
    on second look I see others have already talked about new types of games evolving from MMPORGs. Soz; I'd only skimmed through the replies to see if anyone had talked about social differences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't think there are any social differences. Games are cool in America and have been for a long time. God knows where you got the impression that they weren't. Watching episodes of cribs and seeing all the hommies with their console collections is enough to prove this. Who cares about coolness anyway?

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

americans do silly
    got the impression from when i was over there and from my ex-gf who was american.
    homies on cribs very different to her so we are probably both kinda right.
    then again maybe she was talking total ****e to encourage me to feel ashamed of myself and eliminate a pastime that didn't revolve completely around her. The more likely explanation in retrospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hehe most girls are like that. Just bitch slap that hoe and tell her to get back in the kitchen. :D

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BloodBath wrote:
    Hehe most girls are like that. Just bitch slap that hoe and tell her to get back in the kitchen. :D

BloodBath
    lmao

Advertisement