Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people go and see **** films?

• 02-05-2005 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Seriously, Take xXx 2, is there anyone seriously considering going to see this? I know people will but why? The 1st film was easily the worst film i ever saw, this one is destinied for ****ness, what was Samuel L Jacko thinking?

That new film with Tommy Lee Jones, why will people go and see this, it's pretty obvious it's ****e.

I know i'm judging a book by it's cover but, there ARE some films that you KNOW will be ****e.

Here is a list of current movies that i haven't seen but i pretty much think they're ****.

Sahara
    xXx 2: The Next Level
    Guess Who
    Hitch

Don't go and see these films people or you'll die!!!

Sorry, just thought i'd have a little rant there. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you there.

Especially with xXx 2, the first one was so terrible, I wouldnt go see the sequel if someone bought my ticket. But, if it was made, theres obviously a market for it, as crap as the first one was, it did reasonably good in the box office....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sahara coz Matthew Mc Conaghy is in it and for the boys Penelope Cruz. Theyre in the desert so she aint gonna be wearing much.

XXX2 for boys who like big toys!

Guess Who - Ashton K. fans and i suppose a date kinda movie. Really dont understand that one!

And Hitch, well I'm in love with Will Smith and probably who go and see it. Bad I know, but being honest.

Some people like bad films. My brother has a whole DVD collection of them, and these are BAD. Stuff that I think didnt even make it into the cinema!

Saw The Interpretuer at the cinema last week. Shockin film, so bad. And it got really good reviews. Tip Never read reviews!! Sean Penn, haven't seen him in many films. What's all the hype about him? And Nicole Kidman, well I don't like her anyway, trying to be all cool. Feck off! And then what was the deal with Sydney Pollack appearing out behind the camera, just for the sake of it. Oh no sorry he was meant to be Sean Penn's boss. Towards the end you didn't know who was with who, who was trying to kill who and why the hell they were doing it! waste of my friend's 9 euro or whatever it cost!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Larianne wrote:
    Some people like bad films. My brother has a whole DVD collection of them, and these are BAD. Stuff that I think didnt even make it into the cinema!

Seeing as you're a girl(i presume) and you're brother's a guy(i hope), i'm going to assume most of his dvd collection fall into the ''soo bad it's good'' catagory. Like universal soldier which i bought the other week :D Ya can't beat a bit of cheese!! Where as xXx 2 has no cheese, it falls into the ''soo bad it's not good'' catagory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Larianne wrote:
    Sean Penn, haven't seen him in many films. What's all the hype about him?
    Not to fond of any of the films i've seen him in recently. but credit where credit's due, the guy can act.
    Carlito's way and Dead man walking for instance.

to the original poster. men are blinded by big flashy explosions, guns and boobies in trailers... no matter how many times we're burned by the actual film being ****, we still make the same mistake a couple of weeks later :(
    and girls just plain have bad taste in films (at least the types that list "pretty woman" as their all time favourite film...)

Yeah well I can understand him having Commando and Red Heat there's humor in them but there's a few dodgy ones going on. I'll write them up once my brother gets outta bed!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Commando is a classic!!

''Let off some steam Bennett''

:D

Don't get me started again about Richard Gere!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251637

Yes, Commando seems to appeal to most people. Dunno why. That was one of my favorite films growing up! No matter that its an 18 cert I was probably watching it when i was 9! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Well I have to admit that I am planning to go and see the next star wars movie, even though I know it's going to be **** and the rest of the movies (with the possible exception of empire strikes back) weren't exactly brilliant. I'm going to see it because I've seen all the other one's. It's like reading all of robert jordens books except the last one, you will read it just because you have to finish it regardless if it is good or not.

[edit] commando rock! (what you can smell them?) [/edit]

Like universal soldier which i bought the other week

Thats an awesome film!!

Its Universal Soldier 2 and the other sequel that are apalling, but the original is great stuff.

Commando is a classic.
    men are blinded by big flashy explosions, guns and boobies in trailers... no matter how many times we're burned by the actual film being ****, we still make the same mistake a couple of weeks later

So true. Its depressing for my brain and wallet.

• Advertisement

Lol, guys are gas!!! :D

Another reason for people to go see **** films...
    When I was 13/14, I would go to the cinema with my mates coz there was nothing else to do at that age. I used to get 7 pounds and get mc Donalds and all with that!!

But anyway.... So no matter what was on, we'd go to the cinema and see a film. Did see a few dodgy ones. The worst being IQ a film with Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid and Walter Matthau was supposed to be Einstein or something. Needless to say Woefull!!! So blame the young ones!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Larianne wrote:
    Saw The Interpretuer at the cinema last week. Shockin film, so bad. And it got really good reviews. Tip Never read reviews!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quote_whore
    One reviewer who was widely labeled a quote whore was David Manning, whose quotes often appeared on promotional posters for Columbia Pictures. In early June 2001, the company admitted that Manning was an entirely fictional creation of their marketing department.

Yeah, ya can't believe all the hype. But in fairness, there was nothing else we wanted to see. No good films at all out at the moment!

Bring on Sin City!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Larianne wrote:
    Yeah, ya can't believe all the hype. But in fairness, there was nothing else we wanted to see. No good films at all out at the moment!
    I beg to differ there. 'Downfall'. 'The Chorus', 'Garden State', and 'The Edukators' are all worth catching, and I'm hoping 'Mean Creek' will be added to that list in half an hour.

Also I reasonably enjoyed 'The Interpreter', even if it's by no means a classic. Penn was reasonably restrained from his sometimes scenery chewing antics and Kidman had a nice graceful pose, although I felt 'Birth' gave her better material to work with. I certainly didn't find the ending confusing though and I thought it was pretty clear what was going on and whom was alligned with whom.

It just got stupid at the end, IMO. Fair play to them for getting the permission to film it in the UN headquarters. pity it was a **** film. Didn't like Garden State much either. Well I did like Zach Braff but Natalie Portman is an annoying little headwrecker!

Oh I do want to go see 'The Chorus' but the boy I was with said he'd rather scrape his skin off with a fork so we didn't go see 'The Chorus' lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The main problem is that the general public are uninformed idiots.
    Larianne wrote:
    but Natalie Portman is an annoying little headwrecker!

Jealousy will get you nowhere. I think she's great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Well, my opinion: Some people are idiots.

I'd like to confess that I went to Man Of The House (the new Tommy Lee Jones flick). It's been bugging me for a while now. I think my soul is unclean. I went cos' I was offered a free ticket to any film but it was the only one I could go to due to time constraints.

Forgive me.

No not jealous of the girl at all, don't like her.. well okay she was good in Leon I admit but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

There's the old saying that "horses for courses". Just because it's an old saying doesn't make it any less true. Some people simply just have different tastes. That's not necessarily to say that someone is particularly *wrong* because they enjoyed any of the movies you mentioned. Nor does it mean that you are right for enjoying something different. Learn to accept that the world is a better place because of the rich diversity of tastes and opinions and I guarantee you'll be less stressed out.

I've been abusing my UGC unlimited card by going to see some decidedly dodgy movies. I don't enjoy them all, but I was surprisingly entertained by things like Sahara, Without a Paddle and Harold and Kumar. They're not high art (well.. in one sense of the word, maybe they are), but they're a better way of spending an evening than sitting on my couch scratching my hole.

And personally speaking, if I had to constantly sit through heavy movies like Downfall and Maria Full of Drugs^H^H^H^H^HGrace, with nothing to break the monotony, I'd go berserk.

So I say God Bless Dumb Movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Well , why do people eat Mac donalds? Why do people take heroin? Why do people elect people like Bush? Why do people still abuse the planet, even though, we actually KNOW that we are destroying our planet? We know we're running out of oil, yet we continue, we know biological weapons are bad, yet, we make them. Is the big scale of things, why do we do anything? We don't even know why we're here, we have to have answers to everything and fill in the blanks with ideas such as relgious believes or evolution. We spend so much time thinking about why, and not about how to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

bonzai bob wrote:
    Seriously, Take xXx 2, is there anyone seriously considering going to see this? I know people will but why? The 1st film was easily the worst film i ever saw, this one is destinied for ****ness, what was Samuel L Jacko thinking?

That new film with Tommy Lee Jones, why will people go and see this, it's pretty obvious it's ****e.

I know i'm judging a book by it's cover but, there ARE some films that you KNOW will be ****e.

Here is a list of current movies that i haven't seen but i pretty much think they're ****.

Sahara
    Guess Who
    Hitch

Dont you remember Family Guy? Samuel will do anything! lol

Dont you remember Family Guy? Samuel will do anything! lol

Lol!

The one where Brian became the movie director.....what a classic! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The last time I spoke to my sister she had just been to see Miss Congeniality 2. And I mean the last time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Well I go to the movies every week without exception so inevitably I end up seeing some stinkers, blade trinity, hide and seek and so on. Usually these are picked as the lesser of two evils but sometimes it is these movies which turn out to be the best. For instance a few weeks ago we saw Hitch as there was nothing else on we hadn't seen, went in with low expectations and it turned out to be one of the best movies I have seen so far this year.

Point is, who cares what reviews say. You might end up missing some gems (god knows I missed a ton a few years back when I took the sunday times film reviewer seriously). Then again you WILL see alot of crap taking this approach, just laugh it off and look forward the the next one (star wars III baby)

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

bonzai bob wrote:

Sahara
    Guess Who
    Hitch

Maybe because their taste in films is different to yours. :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for bad films how would we be able to appreciate good films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fools Gold

Hitch.....best movie.......same sentence??? Hitch was a horrific movie. Will Smith playing....horror of horrors....an even more over the top version of himself. Why are all rom coms the exact same? Guy meets girl.....some sort of a porkie/misunderstanding/bet happens early on......things are great.....girl/guy find outs about porkie/misunderstanding/bet........dumps his/her ass......he/she runs around and does summit romantic......he/she falls for him all over.......they all live happily ever after. See (or dont rather) Maid in Manhattan, Working Girl, 10 things I hate about you, the aforementioned Hitch, anything with Freddy "Im Buffys husband" Jnr in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

bonzai bob wrote:
    Why don't you tell us?! You went to see XXX when it was out. Forget Samuel - what were you thinking? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

rammstein were in the first movie though(only reason i went tbh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

So that makes it okay? :rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Larianne wrote:
    No not jealous of the girl at all, don't like her.. well okay she was good in Leon I admit but that's about it.

... and ... Closer ??

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but she's an oscar nominated actress ... Can't be completeley sh1t now can she ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The last time I spoke to my sister she had just been to see Miss Congeniality 2. And I mean the last time ever.
    Classic!

Man, I've got to see Commando again. "I had to let him go". Sheer Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

bonzai bob wrote:

Sahara
    Haven't seen it, won't see it
    Guess Who
    Hitch
    Not that bad and actually enjoyable in parts.
    Closest I'll get to this movie is ogling the advertising poster. And thinking that Zooey Deschanel sounds rather like Sandra Bullock. I'd almost rather see Legally Blonde 35.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

wait til you see trailers for House of Wax, Paris...Hilton...acting!!!! :mad: :mad: :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ruu wrote:
    wait til you see trailers for House of Wax, Paris...Hilton...acting!!!! :mad: :mad: :confused::confused:
    Pff... She was terrible in her last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Hitch is not that bad, i laughed a lot!

Really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hitch is bad, except for that fat guys really funny dancing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Ruu wrote:
    Hitch is bad, except for that fat guys really funny dancing :)

As i said...it is not THAT bad... what about when
    His head baloons from the fish and he is high on Benodryll!
    OK that is all i have!

Maybe you are right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The original was on TV the other night in Ireland and one of my flatmates seemed strangely hypnotised by it. I said something along the lines of "Can you believe they've made a sequel of that?" and she greeted this news with enthusiasm. Scareh.

As for bad films, I accept that they can be funny from time to time but I don't understand why some people refuse point blank to go see something a bit different. They're missing out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

Believe it or not,the people that go to these films,like these films,my m8 for example,he thought Bad Boys1+2 were brilliant for the action,I thought they were the biggest pieces of **** ive ever seen :p

Advertisement