Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you invest your money?

• 02-05-2005 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

How do you do it?

And why?

If I've missed any particular type of investment just tell me and i'll edit the poll. Am a little distracted atm and might have missed something... :o

How do you invest your hard earned cash? 123 votes

I use a Regular Deposit Savings Account
    0% 0 votes
    Savings Schemes such as the SSIA's
    18% 23 votes
    I invest it for a number of years in schemes like An Post Savings Bonds
    26% 33 votes
    I have money in managed funds.
    5% 7 votes
    I invest in stocks or shares of my own choosing.
    11% 14 votes
    I invest in physical assets such as property or wine.
    14% 18 votes
    I invest my money directly in a business I either directly own or am an investor for.
    13% 17 votes
    I invest in some other way not listed here.
    8% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ok I'll start the ball rolling :)

Deposit Savings Account: I keep a float of of a couple of grand in a deposit account for emergencies.

Savings Schemes: I participated in the SSIA scheme for the maximum amount, it will be maturing for over 20K for me next year. I will be re-investing it all.

Savings Bonds: I've a tidy amount of money lying around in An Post bonds and certificates. Most of them were started in my youth (I loved to save as a kid).

Managed Funds: My uncle is a sucessful fund manager, and he keeps a fund for the family going. I've over 10K in here, returns are around 10% annually for the past 5 years (best year was 35% return, the worst was a 5% loss).

Stocks/Shares: I maintain a few positions in stocks. I don't have alot invested in here just a couple of odd grand that was lying uselessly in a bank account :p

Business: I hold a share of the family business. I have two minor projects running at the moment on the side. This is where the majority of my actual paper assets are. On paper I've quite a bit of money, but the business ties it up.

I'm unusual for my age in just how much I have saved in investments. It comes from being born into a quite poor family and having quite a sparse life as a kid. You don't forget that when you get older. I've been saving since I got my First Communion money and put it in an An Post Savings Cert :) That and my mom is big on savings and has been putting aside money for us since we were born, account opened on the day of my birth kinda thing.

The reason why I am so investment orientated, is that I don't drive or have any loans. Credit is bad when you are paying interest m'kay. I also live quite cheaply, ie I live on well less than the minimum wage, my tastes aren't extravagant. A few pints on a friday night with the lads and a broadband connection and I'm happy :)

That and I find investing fascinating :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well im about to invest in property.
    think its something that will really stand to you, being 18 it can only be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Me I've an SSIA - worth 12k in 18 months and shares - of varying value ;) bout 3k though typically.

Nothing massively substantial. My most signifcant investment to date has been in my education - if that counts?!? I may never be able to measure the roi, but the fees this year were 10k so I'm hoping it'll have been worthwhile!!

uberwolf wrote:
    Nothing massively substantial. My most signifcant investment to date has been in my education - if that counts?!? I may never be able to measure the roi, but the fees this year were 10k so I'm hoping it'll have been worthwhile!!

Education is definitely a form of investment, although generally it's a form of investment on behalf of your parents and the government for your benifit (I'm not saying it's this way for everyone, it's just that in my experience, people who put themselves through college with no financial support from home are not in the majority).

The government "invests" in you by paying your college fees in your first degree/whatever. The return of this investment is an educated workforce that attracts alot of business to the country and results in a more stable society.

One can argue that with the increase in education of the masses, there has been a tangible increase in standard of living. Education and life go hand in hand in my opinion. Education for all (ie free education) is one of the best aspects of our society. Yes not everyone can afford to go to college but we have a much higher percentage of college graduates per head of population than say the US where the government doesn't subsidise third level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

I own a substantial amount of shares in the company i work for, at the moment they're not worth much but they usually are up and around the $130 mark. That's about it, i have a small bit of money in the credit union but i'm still trying to pay off the loan i got:D

I find it very hard to save, there's always something i want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

At the moment my largest investments are my education (currently doing a masters part-time) and the two companies I have set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

mayordenis wrote:
    think its something that will really stand to you, being 18 it can only be good.

Is that meant to be a joke? 18 and investing in property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I have a SSAI maturing in less than 2 years, will be worth about €20k. I have a current account with a few grand in it, have a decent amount in a Northern Rock Demand Deposit online account and the rest of my assets consist of a range of different stocks. I choose all of them myself, some value and some growth. I would not invest less than €5k in each 'bundle' of stock, as commission is a killer. I am also into saving and investing, and haven't had a loan in more than 10 years (since entering college). Always pay my credit card balance at the end of the month. That said, although I do have a small car I don't own any property or have a pension plan (foolish to invest in a pension plan before buying property, so the experts say), so although I seem 'cash-rich' to my peers, many would be more wealthy as they bought houses while I was off working in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Property, stocks and bonds. Only really got interested in investing about 2 yrs ago. Its amazing, but so much information available that it can become a bit much.
    Following the usa stock market at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

A bit of everything, really. The only thing from the above I don't have is a direct investment in a business, but maybe some day!.
    I do also consider my pension to be an investment, particularly from the Tax perspective. It's something that I'll be glad I put that little bit extra in at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

mayordenis wrote:
    Not true. Like all forms of investment, it can also go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

if anyone is thinking of investing in property, longford is the place to go, houses are still relevatly cheap there but are climbing faster than rest of country with exception of dub, I bought my hse there and it has rasin 45% in value in 2yrs, only done some minor improvements to it,
    Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

nesf wrote:
    Managed Funds: My uncle is a sucessful fund manager, and he keeps a fund for the family going. I've over 10K in here, returns are around 10% annually for the past 5 years (best year was 35% return, the worst was a 5% loss).

That pissed me off (no offence nesf). We opened a PIP savings account 5 years ago for my son for collage. Last statement says we have less than what we put in. As I'm no financial whiz are we being screwed?

daveg wrote:
    That pissed me off (no offence nesf). We opened a PIP savings account 5 years ago for my son for collage. Last statement says we have less than what we put in. As I'm no financial whiz are we being screwed?

No offence taken.

Like I said the worst was a 5% loss. Investing the the markets is risky. It does not guarantee a return. I would never advise anyone to put money into such an investment scheme if they could not afford to lose it.

Did you invest through one of the major banks or one of the major investment firms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

nesf wrote:
    Did you invest through one of the major banks or one of the major investment firms?

We have a performance investment plan (PIP medium risk) with ark life (through a broker in Galway). I asked whether this was the best plan for us (saving over approx 15 + years E75 per month with a view to providing funds to send my son - now 6 - to collage). The advisor said in hindsight this may not be the best plan for our situation but that there were very few options at the moment to change. However she said once the SSIA's are paid out there will be a lot more (savings) choice offered from banks.

When it comes to savings I'm cluless. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on our situation please post back.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

daveg wrote:
    We have a performance investment plan (PIP medium risk) with ark life (through a broker in Galway). I asked whether this was the best plan for us (saving over approx 15 + years E75 per month with a view to providing funds to send my son - now 6 - to collage). The advisor said in hindsight this may not be the best plan for our situation but that there were very few options at the moment to change. However she said once the SSIA's are paid out there will be a lot more (savings) choice offered from banks.

When it comes to savings I'm cluless. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on our situation please post back.

Thanks.
    What charges/fees are you paying on your plan? Your broker is probably sending HIS kid to college on the back of the commission he is earning out of the fees you are paying. Look for bid/offer spread, administration fees, allocation units, management fees etc in the documentation to see what you are paying, and compare this to the 1% fees available from Quinn Life or 1.5% fees available from EBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

daveg wrote:

Thanks.

Just to add a few lines with Rainyday there...

I opened a PEP with Ark Life back in 1999 a year after I started working. I was putting in 200IR/month which was increased by 5% per for 5 years. After that length of time it barely grew at all. Charges had a lot to do with it. Bet yours had a 5% bid/spread owned by bank on each monthly contribution you put in and a 1.5% on the entire fund yearly charged on monthly basis. That and a shaky market ensured it didn't do too well. I cashed it in this year and put it into Quinn Life (50% US and 50% Irish - already in the Eurozone ). I like Quinn Life because they have no bid/spreads and a low 1% annual charge.
    Another option is ETFs which you can buy a share that acts basically like you owning a basket of shares.

Better keep to the thread. :)

* My first investment was the PEP. 20K. invested over 5 years. stopped.
    * Next I bought an Irish share (AIB, CRH...) maybe twice a year. Usually about 4000 Euro each time. I try to stick with Blue Chip High Dividend payers. I have about 8 shares in the ISEQ. I plan to hold these long term.
    * I had a Northern Rock account since October 2000. I hold any spare cash here for emergencies.. unemployment, illness, investment etc. 3.05% now thanks to RaboBank's threat. :) Try to hold 5-10K in here at all times.
    * Started a Pension with Eagle star for 3 years. Now with a company pension. Combined now 35K. I do this for tax reasons. I have little fate since much interference can could from the government. ie, the relief and charges. My company also chips in 5%.
    * EBS SSIA... 20K. Plan to reinvest
    * Recently bought a 150K house (2.99% Mortgage rate). I'm not one for property but I needed to balance things. Anyway it's on a mature .75 acres and not a terrace house. 80K outstanding. Will accelerate once rates start to rise - no point yet until the NRock rate is exceeded.
    * 24K in Quinn Life split 3 ways (Euro/US/Irish)
    * 6K in Company ESPP.

- Working 7 years and save 70% of earnings a month. On the "Public sector Industrial Average Wage" - but not a public sector worker.

- Pay rent of 310 E per month (dublin) and spend another 300 (living) total. I'm aggressive with cutting costs like any company would be. I keep track of all spending.

Take the bus to work. No car. Computers/Tech is my spending area and has got ridiculously cheaper compared to 10 years ago anyway. Sweets are my "beer".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I work for a company that gives us both options and allows us to buy their stcok at a cheaper rate - which are fantastic savings opertunities.

But I also put money into US stocks. Have been doing so for about 5 years.

I just cannot sit by and let my money sit in a bank and get a 2.5% (approx) over a year.
    And don't worry - I can lose some and not be worried as I am up on my initial investment.

I also have "cash savings" for a rainy day.
    Don't like European/Irish stocks as info and live trading (<3 sec) is either non-existant or expensive (I could be wrong - US trades $10).

Just my two pennies worth -- no sorry - 3 pennies --ha ha

karltimber wrote:
    I work for a company that gives us both options and allows us to buy their stcok at a cheaper rate - which are fantastic savings opertunities.

Yep, I'm in the same boat here in a ESPP. I get a 15% discount on share price every 6 months. The share price offered is based on the price at the start or at the end of the 6 month period and then a 15% discount of which is taxed at 42%

The weakening Euro is having a quite nice effect at the moment. Quinn Life US funds are up. EBS Global Fund is having a cracker of a run (up 8% YTD)... Eddie Hobbs must be happy. And EBS sent out those apology letters the other day for it's poor run. No need at this point in time. Even Elan is benefiting (assuming they don't freak out with the volatility). Eagle Star's Dynamic fund has risen nicely as well. Spending Euros against dollars is the only downer for now.

hamster wrote:
    The weakening Euro is having a quite nice effect at the moment. Quinn Life US funds are up. EBS Global Fund is having a cracker of a run (up 8% YTD)... Eddie Hobbs must be happy. And EBS sent out those apology letters the other day for it's poor run. No need at this point in time. Even Elan is benefiting (assuming they don't freak out with the volatility). Eagle Star's Dynamic fund has risen nicely as well. Spending Euros against dollars is the only downer for now.

We've had a ludicriously good thing going with buying from the US for quite a while now.

It wasn't going to last forever (unfortunately), so I guess it's to be expected.

Although, it's not that bad a shift, I mean it's not like the Euro is trading at less than the value of a dollar or anything.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    Although, it's not that bad a shift, I mean it's not like the Euro is trading at less than the value of a dollar or anything.

Oh yea... 1.22 is a big difference compared to Mid 2001 when the Euro was a measly 84 cent to the dollar at one point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

My investments consist of:

SSIA max amount
    Portfolio of stocks (11 in total FTSE(2) & ISEQ(9)
    Northern Rock Demand Online Account

I'm always on the lookout for new investments and good deals etc. My stock portfolio is up but only by about 3-4% since about Sep 03 when I started. Having said that I have bought and sold quite a bit and I made a mistake when I sold Tesco at about 2.60 after buying them at 2.40 sterling. Granted I made a nice profit but they went up to about 3.00 shortly afterwards and I think they're still in and around that mark. Bought a few Elan shares as well recently just after they crashed. I'm planning on holding onto them for as long as possible and ride out the current volatility. If they hit 12euro or more I'm selling as I'll have made a 100% profit on them. Of course it could go the other way but it was a calculated gamble so I can't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Eh wake up folks - u only live ONCE yes ONCE... AND IT COULD END ANY MINUTE!!

Live your life , buy a car , go out every night if u feel like it. Its so sad to see so many people obsessed with their little savings and investments..Its no good to you when your rotting in a coffin .. Jesus!

Investments make buggar-all difference if u do NOT OWN your house since your petty investments will be still increasing in value less than house prices. What ya gonna do - live with mammy all your life counting your savings?

Cop On

RJ :D

Rubens banned for a week for original trolling and lackluster attempts at comebacks.

To make myself clear on this one. Posts like the above will result in me banning the user. Although, originally I just insulted him, which was wrong and I apologise for that. I've cleaned up the thread by deleting said posts.

This board, in it's short life, has been very polite and friendly and people have been helping each other a lot and taking time to answer questions. I wish to keep it this way. I won't tolerate people trolling on here.

If you want to tell people not to invest, start a new thread and post up a valid argument. Otherwise, don't post at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Rubens wrote:
    Eh wake up folks - u only live ONCE yes ONCE... AND IT COULD END ANY MINUTE!!

Live your life , buy a car , go out every night if u feel like it. Its so sad to see so many people obsessed with their little savings and investments..Its no good to you when your rotting in a coffin .. Jesus!

Investments make buggar-all difference if u do NOT OWN your house since your petty investments will be still increasing in value less than house prices. What ya gonna do - live with mammy all your life counting your savings?

Cop On

RJ :D

I own my house, mate. Oh wait I see you're banned what a shame, how about investing in a brain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hmmmm do I detect that whoever Rubens is has hit a nerve here. :rolleyes:

Tut tut folks banning the lad for giving an opinion. :confused:

Fredser

Fredser wrote:
    Hmmmm do I detect that whoever Rubens is has hit a nerve here. :rolleyes:

Tut tut folks banning the lad for giving an opinion. :confused:

Fredser

No, if he stated his opinion in a polite and respectful fashion I'd have let him be. I have no issues with someone coming on here and diagreeing with me or other posters. I like to argue. But he didn't do that.

His post was an attack on everyone else in this thread.

That's a banning. Those are the rules. This is a serious forum imho and I'll moderate it as such. If you disagree with this, then feel free to start a thread about it on here or in Feedback.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

We can refut Ruben's rantings if needed. His comment about house prices increasing faster than the value of other investments is misguided at best and illustrates this country's current obsession with property (just as many were obsessed with high tech stocks from 1995-2001). Historically, equities have increased in value worldwide at a faster / higher rate than property prices have increased. Many well-informed commentators (and those without a vested interested in the property boom) would tell you that Irish property prices will not match equities as an investment vehicle in the medium term. The fact that even the vested interests (banks, etc) now calmly refer to the 'bubble' in the housing market should terrify those who have borrowed heavily to invest in the past 12 months - bubbles burst.

As for the living your life, buy a new car, yadda yadda yadda crap he spouted, surely that is each individual's decision? Yes, some of us could sell our investments and buy a penile-replacement sports car if we wanted, but that's not my idea of 'LIVNG MY L1FE 2 THE MAXXXX!XX!'

ionapaul wrote:
    As for the living your life, buy a new car, yadda yadda yadda crap he spouted, surely that is each individual's decision? Yes, some of us could sell our investments and buy a penile-replacement sports car if we wanted, but that's not my idea of 'LIVNG MY L1FE 2 THE MAXXXX!XX!'

Personally, I prefer to have both :)

Although my tastes run more towards useful things, like a nice TV, and such.

His assumption that anyone who cared about investments was a miser, was only the first in a long list of reasons why I considered the post trolling rather than a valid attempt at giving a sincere opinion.

Plus, houses are a cash drain... Sure they "increase in price" but um, you need to spend quite a lot of money on them to keep them in good nick in the medium to long term.

Land is a much easier investment if you're obsessed with owning physical stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Rubens,

All poeple are different. Some like saving -some don't.
    I don't like banks -I prefer US stocks.

The reason I invest in US stocks ,is so in years to come I can pay off my house and have no cash worries. Whatever happens in Ireland/Europe in the next 10 years, will not effect me the same as joe-blogs with his e250k morgage.

Folks live from day to day/week to week and spend what they earn and thats fine - but I want work to be my choice - not beacuse of my mortgage/loans.

q - how do people feel about getting 3%-5%-8% on a fund over the space of a year when investing compared to a possible 50%++ or -- when investing directly. Do most of you do both - funds & direct stocks.

thx

Advertisement