Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime

Options
  • 02-05-2005 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Is there anywhere within ireland that sells it? People don't seem to know much about it.. I for one, think there is a lack of adult cartoons out there, RTÉ should run a trial run of Van Hellsing, people would watch it, sadly, the main problem is , that people believe cartoons are for kids, and then go on to let kids watch it. Team America for instance, had a bunch of parents with 4 year old kids, who left instantly when they relized that the film was not like the Muppets or Thunderbirds. I guess, this type of topic has been made so many times your all sick of it.. ¬_¬ but, I only found out how kick ass animes are recently, and sort of ordering online, I can't find anywhere to get them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Well there is a couple of shops in Dublin that would sell anime like Forbidden Planet but at what price! ... your best bet for Anime are still shopping online. I found the Hellsing (by the way, Van Hellsing is the movie, not the anime) DVD box set for less than 60 quids on http://www.koreandvds.com ... excellent site, that's where I'm buying all my aziat stuff.

On the other matter, unfortunately Anime hasn't been around for long, you'll have to give it some time to ave an impact in Ireland as well as teaching the parents that Animes are not only made for kids. Programmation of the anime on tv will have to be important, in my opinion if Hellsing was to be shown on RTE it should be not before 10.00pm as it is quiet hardcore for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

unfortunately Anime hasn't been around for long
    Well, roughly 50 years. Not long.

Ok, in fairness, the past 5 years have given anime a popularity boost due to the ready availability of digital fansubs, but I couldnt help pointing out this inaccuracy :) I understand what you're saying, you just worded it wrong.

As for koreandvds.com - I havent encountered that one before, and from a quick glance at it, I cant say for sure, but it looks like its a bootleg site.

A

Asuka wrote:
    Well, roughly 50 years. Not long.

Ok, in fairness, the past 5 years have given anime a popularity boost due to the ready availability of digital fansubs, but I couldnt help pointing out this inaccuracy :) I understand what you're saying, you just worded it wrong.

As for koreandvds.com - I havent encountered that one before, and from a quick glance at it, I cant say for sure, but it looks like its a bootleg site.

A

Whassup Asuka! Well all bootleg are codec Region All and HK, you have to look for Korean import directly, usually you notice them because they have Korean Subs. I'm sure coz I ordered a few dvds already and they are definitely not bootleg as I also saw the bootleg and they are different, especially the suppose "Distribution COmpany" which is fake.

Like I said, Korean import, it's like buying your Anime dvds in France, they are cheaper but not bootleg ;)

Well there is still some bootleg on the site, I'm not contesting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

jesus people.

Anime DVD's = www.play.com

Cheap
    Huge selection
    NOT BOOTLEG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

While play.com is certainly not cheap for anime DVDs (although you can bag a few deals during their sales), it's definetly better than buying from any high street store. Their selection far surpasses anyone else as far as R2 goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And if you're really desperate, rely on the ole faithfuls:
    eBay & Amazon ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sub city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Ok, Ive said it several times already in other threads, but since we're going down this road again... DVD Pacific. Very good prices.

A

I'll add cdjapan.co.jp but only for loaded collectors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

A great place for Anime DVD is Laser in Temple Bar, Dublin. Up a bit from the bank. There's a few around the place though. But they sell all kinds of Anime there, and you can order in anything you want. I've gotten two Excel Saga DVDS from there, Two Evangelion movies and one eppisodes DVD, Vampire Hunter D, Princess Mononoke, Spirited away and Grave of the Fireflies. And it's so much cheaper than Forbidden Planet. But Forbidden Planet is the only place I know that you can get Manga, but if you look around hard enough you do sometimes find some Figurines. I got this deadly, really detailed SSJ3 Gokou, with 3 different hands that you could attach, for 12 euro in Tuttles in Liffy Vally, and a Gokou Alarm clock in a pound shop. If you look around hard enough you do find some Anime stuff. And about the TV thing, they're starting to show more and more Anime on TV. Like, on Toonami they're showing Rave Master and One Piece. Not to mention the classics like DBZ, DB, DBGT(Hiss, it sucks), Transformers, Beyblade, Pokemon, Pokemon Chronicles and stuff like that. They're going to be showing the DBZ Movies soon, starting May 31st. And they used to have other Anime on it too. Like Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo and the other Tenchi's and Cowboy Beebop or whatever it is... But yeah, anyways, don't worry, Anime ish slowly taking over the world... I've loved it for four years, I'm a proud Otaku...And forbidden Planet sucks... It's so over-priced, plus I've been banned from there, and can only go in with my mom, but I'm too scared to. My friend was caught stealing stuff. Never steal from there, the guy with the bad hair goes crazy. Anyway, I've rambled for long enough, Ja ne!

• Advertisement
Advertisement