Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Chelsea Before/During/After Thread

• 02-05-2005 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So then, Liverpools latest "biggest game since 1985" and Chelseas biggest since er Saturday.

Heres the squad for Pool

Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Hamann, Riise, Kewell, Baros, Cisse, Smicer, Nunez, Carson, Le Tallec, Warnock, Welsh, Potter.

I hope to see

=======Dudek
    Finnan==Cara=Hyypia=Traore
    Garcia=Gerrard==Biscan=Riise
    ====Cisse====Baros======

but I suspect

=======Duduk
    Garcia====Biscan=====Riise
    ====Gerrard==Kewell
    =======Baros

is more likely.

Theres some confusion on the bbc site as to if Biscan is fit, obviously Hamann
    will step in if not.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

My prediction :confused:

No clue how this will play out, Chelsea to uber defend and score on break? Pool to play into Kop and finsih the tie in 45 minutes as with previous games?

Penos?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm expecting Hamann to start over Biscan TBH.

Though I'm suspecting something similar to yourself.
    Benetiz seems to recognise that Kewell has something to offer even if he's shipping him in the summer. To that end I think Hamann and Gerrard will sit side by side in the centre with one Gerrard marauding and Hamann sweeping. Which means he'll support the front axis rather than form part of it - something which suits him - this is a defining game of his career and he knows it.

Dudek
    Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia--Traore

Hamann

Gerrard
    -Garcia
    Riise

Kewell
    Ciise

or similar. Though I'm not sure how I'd feel about Kewell pushing Riise to left back.

Benetiz has hinted Ciise will start - though it may well be a bluff - it would suit the hour he's good for, high tempo crowd fed start to the game. Cann't rely too much on that though as if it fails to produce a goal there need to be alternatives.

Pool can do this, in fact they may well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I hope your right with

=======Dudek
    Garcia=Gerrard==Biscan=Riise
    ====Cisse====Baros======

Although Garcia was crap last week he can score some exceptional goals. Stevie G should be in a good frame of mind after his nice goal on Sat. I don't think Kewell deserves to be in the squad at the moment. Wouldn't like to see it go to peno's.

Prediction: 2-1 to the Pool. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I wouldn't like to see Kewell or Baros in the side....but I supppose we've got no-one else up front...

Think when Cisse came on in the last game he looked lively, did he play on saturday? Did he play well....?

I think Hamann and Biscan should play.... but i don't know where we could accommodate them...

Not sure how Gerrard would be like on the right of mid but I'd like to see rafa try it, I dont think he captures the middle of the park against the big teams...

======Dudek
    =Gerrard==Biscan=Hamman=Riise
    ====Cisse====Garcia======

otherwise I'd like to see this formation 2m but I don't think Cisse will start (he should tho) Rafa might have Kewell on :(

=======Dudek
    Garcia=Gerrard==Hamman=Riise
    ====Cisse====Baros======

mada999 wrote:

Think when Cisse came on in the last game he looked lively, did he play on saturday? Did he play well....?

he played (as a sub), but was pushed out wide afaik - not ideal for him.

Kewell was good on Saturday, played 90 mins and was lively, improving as the match went on. Our options are limited. Mike65 saying he'd like to see Biscan on emphasises how stricken resources are for 'pool :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah most games i've seen Cisse he has hugged the touch line a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Chelsea will line up as follows:

Cech
    Carvalho-Huth-Terry-Gallas
    Makelele
    Lampard-Tiago
    Duff-Cole
    Drogba

I honastly can't see chelsea not scoring, i just can't see it. I think Duff will be the one to preform, and I think he can alone win this match :)

Thus I think that Liverpool absolutly have to score. They know this, and Benetiz knows this, and thus they have to attack. I think that Liverpool will be hit on the break, so it will take an absolutly massive preformance from the Liverpool defense to win this game.
    I'd both like them to win and to loose :/
    It's an odd feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd go with the same formation we went for at Stamford Bridge, with Hamann coming in for Alonso and possibly Warnock for Traore (though he didn't have too bad a game last time out!).

Cisse would probably be more useful coming on from the bench if we need a goal later in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

uberwolf wrote:
    Mike65 saying he'd like to see Biscan on emphasises how stricken resources are for 'pool :p

Hey, he's been a good player in CL! It would be harsh if he got dropped now.

Looking at tactics, I'd love to see 'em come flying out of the traps and get the 12th man roaring. I really think its the best option then when the goal/s come withdraw a forward player and put 5 across midfield.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Play Gerrard in the Alonso role. This is essential. Whatever the formation, this is absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cheesedude wrote:
    Play Gerrard in the Alonso role. This is essential. Whatever the formation, this is absolutely necessary.

gerrard is terrible in the alonso role. Hamann or biscan have to play in that position.

duff is definitly fit yea?

Rafa seems to be making Cisse into a right midfielder. When he has come on in the premiership in has played in that position all the time afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i'm so nervous. i've never been like this before for a game. The atmosphere is gonna be unreal i cannot wait. As for the game i really think chelsea won't know what hit them if Liverpool perform like they did at the first leg of the juve tie.

Nerves, nerves, nerves................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I hope Huth starts at right back for Chelsea. He will be a weak link and Risse can take advantage of this big time..

Not gonna bother trying to figure out what Benitez will do either.. Impossible to predict sometimes I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

From a pool point of view Johnson would be a better (or worse) player to want to see, hes muck going backwards Riise will tear him apart, dunno if he would do same vs Huth.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think he could start with Geremi at right back...he was excellent on Sat against Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I really hope carra doesnt get booked, especially not from another dodgy dive. Would be terrible to see him miss the final, of everyone he really doesnt deserve that, hes been outstanding. Can't see us beating Milan without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

true stekelly,
    if anyone deserves to be in that final it's carra. He's gonna have to be immense tomorrow and i feel he will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

T'was the night before Chelsea,
    And all round the land,
    True reds were stirring,
    No mightier band!

The scarves were hung by the front door, with care,
    With prayers that Istanbul, we would be there.
    The Kopites not resting, tossing in bed,
    While visions of Glory ran through their heads.

And Ma in her red top, and I in my cap,
    Much too restless for a Euro Eve nap,
    When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
    I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
    Away to the window, I flew like a flash,
    Tore open the shutters and ruby red sash.

The spring sun setting with a red delight glow,
    Hinted and promised of the 'morrow we'd know.

When what to my wandering eyes should appear,
    But a Liver Bird, with disciples at rear!
    Whose little old leader so lively, so quick,
    I knew in a moment was Shankly, to wit.

And out of his mouth, the legends the came,
    And he whistled and shouted as he called them by name.
    "Now Paisley, Now Fagan, Now Liddell, Now Scott.
    Oh Stubbins and Emlyn, those Kings of the Kop!"

"We are the red men, the Kings of them all!
    The Chelsea, The Chelsea, The Chelsea will fall!"
    As footsteps that walk while the hurricane flys,
    Never alone, and then the golden skies.

So up to the heavens, the legends they flew,
    With arms full of trophies, and Shankly with two!
    And then in an instant, I heard on the roof,
    The dancing and calling of someone aloof.

As I waved with each hand, my mood of astound,
    Then down the chimney Billy Shankly abounds!
    Dressed in his bestest, from his head to his foot,
    His clothes, all a gleaming, a heavenly cut!

A sack full of medals was flung on his back,
    And one blue and empty for what Everton lacked!

His eyes- how they twinkled, his smile so merry,
    His cheeks red like roses, off the Mersyside ferry.

He looked happy and gleeful and pleased with himself,
    A tear when I saw him, inspite of myself.

A wink of his eye, and a nod of his head,
    Soon I was sure I had nothing to dread.

He said not a word, but spoke straight form heaven.
    And emptied his stocking : medals, Euro, Eleven!

And laying his finger aside of his nose,
    And giving a nod up the chimney he rose.

He called to the legends, to his team gave a whistle,
    And gone this Scot rose, though man made of thistle.

But I heard him exclaim, as he rose out of sight,
    "The Chelsea will fall! For all reds- a good night!".

Mooro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Hope its not 0-0.

I think Liverpool will need to score twice to win as I cannot see the defence holding out again, especially for 120 minutes.

(What happens if 0-0 af full time and 1-1 at extra time is it away goals rule or penos)

If Duff and Robben are fit (don't think both will start though even if they both are fit) then I think it will be comfortable for Chelsea especially if they can get their passing going early, if both are out then its going to be tight.

Liverpool need to get a start like against Juve but don't think they will as it leaves them prone to a Chelsea counter attack.

@ Mike65 I know he's been good in the CL but in the grand scheme of things he doesn't seem to have it for Liverpool. I'll take pleasure in being wrong.

I don't think flying out of the traps is sufficent, Chelsea are too smart for that, and what if it doesn't work - where do they turn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Just before we settle down for the build up to the Liv v Che CL match, a comment on the Liv draw against Mid on Sat. Yet another very dissapointing result for Liverpool and Benitez. I was once again completely unhappy with the inclusion of Pellegrino. Is Benitez dumb at times? This was a disasterous selection and invited a problem. And it duely came. Pellegrino was 100% responsible for the first goal and even Benitez took him off at half-time. I dont know what Benitez is playing at in the league. Liverpool are 3 pts behind Everton now (luckily they lost and deservingly so) with only 2 games to go and Everton have a game in hand. It is nearly gone mathematically and practically it went last week.

All will be forgiven if Liverpool win the CL by beating CL and AC Milan (most likely), but that is two very big asks.

Come 10:00pm tonight we could all be very dissaopinted just left to ponder Dunphy's wide smile.

The LIV/CHE game though is very difficult to predict. It could be close, its shaping up that way, but goals can come from nothing in football. It looks like a match that could go either way. I think most pundits will be going for Chelsea "just to nick it". It may even go to peno's. I think it will be a tension filled match, and an error may swing it one way or the other.

If Duff plays, Chelsea will have a much better chance. I think Hamann and Biscan will play in the duel holding roles, but Hamann is likely to be off match pace.

Its definitely a match to watch, and record and watch again for those that win it .....

enjoy

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

tbh I might have been more worried about tonight's match had we won at the weekend - a sudden change in form could be most upsetting at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

mada999 wrote:
    yeah most games i've seen Cisse he has hugged the touch line a bit...

I've noticed that too. He runs toward the open space rather than trying to beat the man and take the direct route like Owen used to. Hopefully he won't gradually move into a right wing role (like Diouf) before getting turfed out for having a poor strike rate (like Diouf).

And according to Football365 both Duff and Robben are doubtful. But I wouldn't be too quick to believe anything I read from either manager before this one.

Pool need two goals here for me to enjoy the match fully. 1-0 early on will make for a very very very nervous match, given that an equaliser would put them out.

Prediction: 2-1 Liverpool with the defence earning the freedom of the city of Liverpool by keeping out a relentless Chelsea onslaught for the last 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,060 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think i fancy 2-1 liverpool, but that could just be my heart talkin'. chelsea must be favourites on paper.

what id like to see

Finnan---Hypia---Carra---Riise (miss him in midfield but dont trust traore)

Hamman

Biscan
    Gerrard

--Garcia
    Kewell---

Baros/Ciise

If goals needed Biscan(or Hamman, depends on how either is playing) can be swapped for the unused striked. If secure just swap strikers.

I think this formation is pretty good tho, pretty tight at the back with hamman guarding and biscan being the most industrious man ever, allowing gerrard to help attack and if garcia and kewell can produce anything like they're capable of, theres goals in the team.

As for riise back in defence, he's proven over years hes pretty good and definately better then dodgy dodgy traore. every time i see him play he makes mistakes that could prove our downfall. Couldn't see rafa not playing traore tho.

Fingers crossed! GO ON THE 'POOL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

im so nervious WAN D POOL

Stevie G to have a cracker (man of the match) and score the winner! what ever score 4-3, 3-2, 2-1, 1-0 just once it dont go to penos i couldnt take that!! i'd end up having a heart attack.

WAN D POOL!!!

Chelsea would, IMO, be clear favourites on penalties - sure we cann't even decide our primary taker, never mind the other four!

Penno's for 'pool

the way it happens in my head;
    gerrard - dodgy last one, still fancy him to score tho..
    baros/cisse (whichever on the pitch) - score rocket straight down the middle
    garcia - score with cheeky chip
    biscan - in off the keeper
    carra - score the winner, top right corner to deservedly put pool in the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Penno's for 'pool

the way it happens in my head;
    gerrard - dodgy last one, still fancy him to score tho..
    baros/cisse (whichever on the pitch) - score rocket straight down the middle
    garcia - score with cheeky chip
    biscan - in off the keeper
    carra - score the winner, top right corner to deservedly put pool in the final!
    Chelsea/Liverpool are 22/1 on PP to win on penos. If there's a goal in the game it can't go to penalties but might be worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Boylesports are offering 11/1 on a 2-1 home win, for us deluded 'pool fans :D

• Advertisement

Fancy these 2

John Terry to score with his head in 90mins 6-1

A substitute to score in 90 Mins 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Players on yellow's:

Liverpool: Stephen Warnock, Steve Finnan, Jamie Carragher, Dietmar Hamann
    Chelsea: Glen Johnson, Alexei Smertin, Ricardo Carvalho, Mateja Kezman, William Gallas

It'd be a shame if either Carvalho or Carragher were to pick up a booking and miss out if their team got through, they've both been excellent recently.

For all Liverpool or Chelsea fans out there, put some money on the opposition. At least that way if you lose you'll get some financial compensation!

To get you in the mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I lost my posting somehow. In summary it was that the pressure is qual on both teams, even though the managers and players repeatedly keep saying that the pressure is on the other team.

Here is the betting from PP, who are going for a 1-1 draw:

Liverpool 1-0 13 - 2
    Draw 0-0 11 - 2
    Chelsea 1-0 11 - 2
    Liverpool 2-0 12 - 1
    Draw 1-1 5 - 1
    Chelsea 2-0 7 - 1
    Liverpool 2-1 10 - 1
    Draw 2-2 14 - 1
    Chelsea 2-1 8 - 1

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

~Rebel~ wrote:

Finnan---Hypia---Carra---Riise (miss him in midfield but dont trust traore)

Hamman

Biscan
    Gerrard

--Garcia
    Kewell---

Baros/Ciise

I like that team. Swap Biscan and Gerrard around (need Gerrard to cross from the right, spray balls to the left flank etc) and you have probably the best team we could field given who is available. Riiise and Finnan could get forward lots while Hamann protects the central defenders. Could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Quite nervous about this game tonight, more nervous than I've been in a long time. I fancy Liverpool to go through though and I was impressed with how bullish Rafa was being in the pre-match conference yesterday - in reply to yet another journalist going on about "is Jose Mourinho christ re-incarnated" and other such over-hyped questions Benitez simply said "he's one of the best coaches but he will lose tomorrow!"

Gwan Rafa/the pool :p

Nah drop kewell put riise there and traore left back we need riise in the mid and traore does the job when its asked of him.
    Kewell will offer us nothing hes just to damn lazy!!

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote:
    I like that team. Swap Biscan and Gerrard around (need Gerrard to cross from the right, spray balls to the left flank etc) and you have probably the best team we could field given who is available. Riiise and Finnan could get forward lots while Hamann protects the central defenders. Could work.

Cheers mate :) Ya agree with the gerrard change, was just throwin em in central midfield wasn't thinkin bout which side each would stay on, expect em both to roam around the area and cover each other anyway. But no matter Rafa almost certainly wont select this team anyway, seems to love the heart in mouth edge of your seat defensive errors only pelligrino and traore can offer which pushes up riise and means if kewell is playing has to be behind striker which im not a fan of. Don't think he has the confidence to be relied upon in front of goal, like him out wide creating chances and coming inside when he can. Was recently thinkin on how good he used to be actually and seems rafa thinks hes back fit totally for first time in nearly 2 years. This is also his last chance to prove hes worthy of a top team place.

Take it wrote:
    Kewell will offer us nothing hes just to damn lazy!!

Do largely agree with that but have a feeling rafa is seeing something different from him in training or something cause noway he'd give him a chance otherwise after the sh!t he's been playin this year, especially after carling cup final - biggest disgrace of football i've ever seen from him.

Think maybe rafa has something up his sleeve with him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

~Rebel~ wrote:

Think maybe rafa has something up his sleeve with him..

I hope you're right man!

I think Liverpool will sneak it, by 1 goal.

COME ON THE POOL! :D:D

Nah Kewells just lazy think Rafa is an amazing manager but just gets attached to certain players like Kewell and Peligreno (thank god he is cup tied other wise I think he would be playing) really hope I am wrong though and Kewell produces some of that magic we know he is capable of doing.

think Rafa is an amazing manager
    Done well in CL but to call his performance in PL amazing is grasping at straws - even Houilliers record was better in it. Unless Liverpool win the CL they have gone backward this season, the league is the Bread & Butter and waht all managers are judged by.

• Advertisement

In one season he has signed the best midfielder in the prem with alonso, has got top class performances from Riise, Carrigher, Finnan (which houllier did not do)

I think Jose and Rafa are the best managers in the PL at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

1-1 Duff to score first.

45-1

I'll have a bit of that!

B.

TheMonster wrote:
    Done well in CL but to call his performance in PL amazing is grasping at straws - even Houilliers record was better in it. Unless Liverpool win the CL they have gone backward this season, the league is the Bread & Butter and waht all managers are judged by.

Noone said he was amazing in premier league, just that he's an amazing manager full stop and really noone can dispute this after what he's done in spain, back to back champs league finals, winning la liga and uefa cup with a team that had to compete with barca and real but with less money.
    As a pool fan have to say im much happier with him then was with houllier, he's made actual steps to improve quality of play and the general standard of liverpool. Its very fair to say pool will be much healthier next year barring another ridiculous spate of injuries. Obviously its gonna take a while for a new manager to adjust to a totally different style of play but given time i have total confidence in him to be honest. - Roll on next year!

Take it wrote:

I think Jose and Rafa are the best managers in the PL at the moment.

they may be the best managers at top flight clubs, but Rafa has yet to prove himself amongst the top League managers in britain IMO. Their failure to get 4th place see's to that title this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I believe Liverpool will qualify for the CL final, logic says they will not but something else says yes they will!

For the sake of football I hope that LFC can once again make us dream!

Leaving work now so no more comments till tomor when hopefully they'll be LIVERPOOL MILAN FINAL HERE WE COME!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I really thought we needed an away goal last week. Chelsea can win games through sheer determination. In Liverpool's UEFA Cup winning season they beat better teams even when they were played off the park. No matter what was happening they just kept playing and being on the end of any lucky break. That's the mood Chelsea are in this season and it's really annoying!

Liverpool havn't deserved to loose all three games against Chelsea when you look at how we matched their football. But in fairness Chelsea have the balls to win games they don't deserve and just don't give up.

The fans will be in full voice at the start of the match. Hopefully they'll roar throughout the match and not go quiet for long periods in the middle. I wanna see Chelsea afraid. I wanna see Liverpool win the toss so they can play into the Kop in the second half and see Petr Cech make some mistakes for a change. And Tiago owes us a peno.

For the first 5 mins I'll just be happy to see Traore make a good tackle and Garcia not give the ball away. Oh and Cissé (if he's playing) to stay onside. I have faith in the rest of the players.

True Rafa has yet to prove himself in the PL but ive every faith that he will his first seasons a bit harsh to judge him by as its a new league for him,a new style thats faster and more physical, he has proved his worth in europe and ive no doubt he will get his head around the PL style next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

2-1 liverpool.

1-1 in injury time then hypia heads home form a corner and benetiz sprints up the touchline with his hands in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

smemon wrote:
    2-1 liverpool.

1-1 in injury time then hypia heads home form a corner and benetiz sprints up the touchline with his hands in the air.
    ...and every Liverpool fan in the stadium puts their finger to their mouth and faces towards "the press box".

• Advertisement
Advertisement