Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Chelsea Before/During/After Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The one thing that makes this victory even sweeter is that Mourhino lost.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PHB wrote:
    Uh Oh,
    Mourinho just said the best team lost.
    He's not happy at all at all.
    Wonder what would have happened if Chelsea had scored first! Bull****e!

best team are out so,
    I for one couldnt give a ****,
    we're goin to istanbul,
    they can sit in london **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

How the hell did they win!? What a dire game though.

Fair play to the pool all the same, sure they sat it's worse to lose in a semi than in the final itself. Won't be too tough on them when Milan hockey them then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. My heart was pounding!

Chuffed to bits, living with 4 Manchester United fans makes home life unbearable at times, but nights like these make it worth while :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Fair play to the pool all the same, sure they sat it's worse to lose in a semi than in the final itself. Won't be too tough on them when Milan hockey them then...

hockey them about like juventus did to them or like chelsea did to them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

g'wan ,liverpool!! :D great to see chelsea's 'superstars' flop once again. robben, drogba were woeful. no creativity at all from chelsea when they needed it, didnt work dudek once apart from a fairly easy to save free kick.

pressure from liverpool was all that was required and thats what they did. they doubled up on wide men when possible which forces chelsea to play narrow which they cant do.

6mins of injury time :rolleyes: what a joke. ref clearly a chelsea fan, gave them everything throughout the game.

come on milan! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

José is a bitter man isn't he.

Fair enough, Liverpool defended for the most part, but at the ned of the day, Chelsea weren't good enough to break them down.

It'll be a fierce boring final but I hope Liverpool win it.

Fair play to them, Benitez knoes his stuff about Europe, and has proven it tonight.

You have to ask though, what the hell happened to them in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It was shocking how one dimensional Chelsea were without wingers.
    Liverpool packed out the midfield as they have done very well in Europe and Chelsea were pretty much stumped.
    Mourhinho was not the master technician tonight, and he can moan about Liverpool's play and the better team going out all he wants, but it's done and dusted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I'd say Gudjohnsen is kicking himself for that chance near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Where's your master, where's your master, where's your master fnckin plan.

Eamon, great to see you are still about lad.

Alonso back in the final, gotta be the biscuit dropped for him with Hamann dealing with attacks breaking them down. Need Cisse to stick the winner in the final..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Exciting last few minutes , every time Kewell got the ball in the corner and lost it i had visions of Ginola type disatsers.

Carragher and Finnan were awesome ,odd tho Hypia and traore didnt have a lot to do in the game nothing came down the right side until Kezman came on then even less came down :confused:

Played pool , after them getting to the final i betting everything i ahve on PSV to get there too :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

SMASHING

One dimensional - take away the wingers and it's like Ireland of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I loved that match. Well done Liverpool. Having that manager Rafa Benitez has made me think a lot differently about Liverpool. I actually want them to do really well now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KdjaC wrote:
    Exciting last few minutes , every time Kewell got the ball in the corner and lost it i had visions of Ginola type disatsers.

Carragher and Finnan were awesome

kdjac

I had the same thought when Nunez went down to the corner...Finnan was nearly as good as Cara tonight. My only hope is that Benitez feels he can play two up from the start in 3 weeks.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Well done Liverpool, should have went for the second goal to kill the game off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I was on the edge of my seat last night looking at Shaun Murphy playing snooker,but i fell off sofa tonight.What a match.Jamie Carragher outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Well.

Fair play Liverpool. Carra deserved to win that game - what a match he had. We were missing our main attackers in duff and cloe. (cole just never got in the game where he was.) Drogba was shíte. Kezman should have tapped home that Robben cross. And Eider is not as much at fault as Drogba was on that last shot. All Drogba had to do was lift his leg or turn sideways. No strikers instinct. Ah well.

Anyway. Fair play 'pool. Wish you all the best against Milan.

Again. Carra deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

im so happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

amazing! What a result. had a feeling we would pull it off. I really think were destined to win it!

Alot of debate about the goal, but it was either a goal or a peno and cech off, all chelsea fans would of chose a goal. Anyway the goal thing dudek had to save was lampards free kick over the two legs.

Carragher was MOM. Finnan was excellent aswell. Hamann did his job aswell. him gerrard and alonso in the final will be excellent for us. Delighted everyone got through without a booking. Kewell i feel deserves a mention, hes was brilliant with the ball in the corners. Risse was outstanding all match, great going forward and defending. Djimi was solid aswell. Baros was great, but he didnt really have much of a chance to shine. Garcia ran his socks off. Very frustrated when he gave the ball away twice in the first half.

Chelsea were very quiet. lampard wasnt on his game. Duff was a huge loss, robben wasnt at the races. Drogba was woefull, 26mill? stinger. Kezman was poor aswell.

Huth?! THe tv3 lads gave CM an a load of stick for that one a rightfully so. Nice to see him saying the best team didnt win. Cant understand that one, chelsea were poor over the 2 legs. the fact the only got one good shoot on target over 2 legs says it all, and that was from a set piece.

Milan or PSV, either one. We'll take them. I am sure Jivin turkey is going to have himself a enjoyable night over there. lucky b*stard. :D

YNWA

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well.

Fair play Liverpool. Carra deserved to win that game - what a match he had. We were missing our main attackers in duff and cloe. (cole just never got in the game where he was.) Drogba was shíte. Kezman should have tapped home that Robben cross. And Eider is not as much at fault as Drogba was on that last shot. All Drogba had to do was lift his leg or turn sideways. No strikers instinct. Ah well.

Anyway. Fair play 'pool. Wish you all the best against Milan.

Again. Carra deserved it.

Nice post Clown.

Its all about your big players preforming in the big games. What about Frank Lampard. Was he quiet or was it that the liverpool midfield had done their homework on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Doubling up on player who had the ball was superb, I though that we would then leave gaps but the gaps that were left were obviously not exposed by Chelsea.

Have I mentioned YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss yet ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OH MY GOD IM IN HEAVEN.
    All you guys who said pool wont beat this team ,that team and so on and so on and so on EAT YOUR WORDS YOU WERE SO VERY VERY WRONG.
    Yet again cheasea were inept at trying to break pool down.
    Fantastic performance.
    Win loose or draw in the final i am so proud of LFC no matter what the outcome. :)

Thanx could you edit your joy (its gone off the edge!)?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Der-der-der-der-der-deeeerr, der-der-der-der-der-deeeerr!!!!! C'mon you Reds!

Don't care what anyone says, Liverpool deserve it. Chelsea had one shot on target and that was from a free-kick, the best side won and the Reds have shown that all the money in the world can't buy the kind of heart and desire that Carra, Gerrard and Finnan showed tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Well done and congratulations to Liverpool FC and Fans. Delighted with the result and a spirited performance and a bit of contraversy thrown in for good measure - makes for the perfect game. Traore (sp?) played brilliantly and as most others here say Carragher was fantastic.

JM's interview at the end proved what a total plank he really is -
    " . . no, the better team lost !!!"

Twit !

Nice to see footbal win out over money.

Now . . . Milan to beat the scousers 2-0 in the final anyone ???!!!:D

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Well done LFC. I had heart palpitations throughout that second half. Carragher was on a different level to anyone else.

Where did 6 minutes come from?? Who was Benitez going ballistic with near the end of the game? There is a god - Mourinho got a taste of his own spoiling tactics and obviously didn't like it. Best team lost?

Flicked over to ITV after the final whistle and the icing on the cake was the look on Owen's face while discussing Liverpool's chances in the final. Looked like he was going to cry!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

After mourinhios interview just now he is not too far behind arrogant ferguson for most hated manager now tbh.

At least he did'nt mention a parked bus....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Leonard wrote:
    Nice post Clown.

Its all about your big players preforming in the big games. What about Frank Lampard. Was he quiet or was it that the liverpool midfield had done their homework on him

He was forced back. He hung around the attacking midfield area for bits and pieces but wasn't getting or making anything. Hamman and Biscan just held that central area. So he bropped back. He was spreading play but there was no-one on the wings to take up on it. most of his passes were miscontrolled or the reciever - geremi or gallas - couldn't continue and had to drop back. He was only really seen in front of the back four.

There just was no width without our wide players. And all we had was the centre to make play. Hamman and Biscan did enough. And when they didn't Carra was there every time to clean up. Like EVERY time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Luis Garcia - a man of his word.

This morning on the UEFA site -

Liverpool FC midfield player Luis García has promised to score a goal against Chelsea FC at Anfield as his side seek a place in the UEFA Champions League final.

The playmaker had a special message for the Anfield faithful when he spoke to uefa.com, saying: "I want to tell the fans that I will score against Chelsea. I want to do it for them, and make them very happy. I will try my best to do it, and I believe I can. I want to win the Champions League for them.

"Liverpool fans are an example to the football world, and it is unbelievable to play at Anfield on a European night," he added. "The fans will be fundamental for us. They have to play every ball with the players and cheer us along. They must help us to create history at the club and put Liverpool back on the map."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Carragher was simply awesome tonight - remindful of Paul McGrath Vs Italy in 1994.

I thought Gerrard had an outstanding game. He broke up the play very well, made some very important tackles. Sure he didnt get forward too much, but his job tonight was to marshall and defend, which he did exceptionally well.

Finnan, Riise, Garcia, Hamann are all 8.5/10 as well. Traore hardly put a foot wrong. Screw that - the whole team were 9/10 except Carragher who got 10/10. Everyone did their jobs capably tonight.

I am only a casual Liverpool fan, but man was that nerve wracking. Longest 6 mins ever. At least Pool werent under the cosh for most of it though.

As for Mourinho, I thought he was magnamious in defeat, and as always he tells it like he saw it. He spoke like a fan, and wouldnt be in anyway critical of him. I liked how he shook hands with everyone at the end - a true sportsman. Chelsea were more enterprising, Liverpool were tactically better. 50/50 for me, but over 180 mins, Chelsea didnt score, Liverpool did, end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Ever since that wonder goal by Gerard in the last minute of the last match of the group stages, I've had a feeling Liverpool were going to do something special.

Carragher must be the most underrated player in England. Everyone will say he played great but a few months down the line he'll be nowhere near starting a game for England. Jamie is ten times better than Ferdinand but he'll never get the recognition he deserves. Carragher has been playing superb all season I just hope he gets the credit he deserves now. If Liverpool win in the final he must get European player of the year, but of course he won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

That was stupid... a goal shouldnt be awarded just because the ref dosent wnt to make a hard decision!

Even if Cech was sent off wwe still have cudcini another world class goaly!

When that second guy ran on the pitch i was hoping for a similar situation to that of the milan match, they could have given us a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Chelsea were awful going forward. Kezman should never be allowed wear a Chelsea shirt again, he did absolutely nothing right. Geremi and Cole were ineffective on the wings, thus Chelsea were forced into going through the middle. With Carragher and Hyypia on form then they had no chance whatsoever of scoring. It wasn't until Robben came on that Chelsea began showing some bit of skill.

On the Liverpool side, Nunez and Kewell ought to pack their bags, they're an embarassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

^^^ Whatever about Nunez, but I thought Kewell fought well, and looked alot more committed than he has done in a long time.

As for the goal, I wonder are there many Shels/Chelsea fans here??? :p

My take on it. Watch the replay carefully and slowly. Look at Garcia. He has his eye on the ball for quite a while before he wheels off in celebration. He doesnt start his celebration until he has 'seen' it over the line. Whether that was done as a decieving tactic we will never know. However, he was still close enough to the ball that if it hadnt gone in, he could have got at it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What is it with Robert Huth and Champions League semi-finals???

Anyway, a great result for Liverpool. Justice done after their harsh defeats to Chelsea already this season. I nearly wet myself watching Gudjohnsen at the end though... I was sure he was gonna score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

So we have concluded that money cannot buy Chelsea three things:

Love, dinosaurs and, of course, character.

The final of these was, naturally, while Liverpool persevered... There's something that I find elementally similar between the styles of Liverpool and Ireland on the pitch - that certain "never say die" gutsy determination I suppose.

You can only imagine Roman sitting there wondering: "I ploughed €500 million into the team for this?!?".

Luis Garcia... a lot of people seem to love criticising this guy but, in my estimation, he could become a great player (I'm not just saying this tonight - I've been saying this for a while) though I could just be talking out of my arse. Nunes, on the other hand, is just dreadul - and he always looks ill, poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This isn't going to win me many fans, but I wish these Liverpool fan boys would stop wetting themselves over Carragher. Sure, he had a good game, only because Chelsea were crap going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Unbelievable result. I really expected a Chelsea v Milan final. Fantastic defending from 'pool esp. Carragher.

I still can't tell if it was a goal and I have watched it about 30 times now.

Chelsea looked so toothless tonight it was amazing. I think the biggest cheer of the night came from the Kop when Kezman came on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I don't care what the chelsea fans say .. Liverpool won . end of story ... roll on turkey The only time Chelsea threathened was with Gudjonnson at the end POOL WERE GREAT DEFENSIVELY with FInnan , Carragher and Traore etc. ... Goal was unsure but POOL deserved some luck .................... Cisse to score the winner in Istanbul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

GET FúCKING IN THERE!!!!

Holy shít I was so nervous during that second half and when Gudjonsen had that shot at the end I fell to the ground thanking god it didn't go in :) 6 minutes of extra time was a joke and the goal was a goal no matter what.

The best thing is - Chel$ki loose and football/Liverpool wins :D Now bring on Milan!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

murinho is too sly and u people are brainwashed by his charm.

he shook hands with everyone, managers, players, applauded the fans. (this guy has some physcology degree remember). so this all builds up our image of him and we are reluctant to hate him.

but then when nobodys about, he goes behind everyones back and uses the media as an amplifier to get his critical arrogant commentry about. disgraceful behaviour. plus he had a pop at the linesman too whom he shook hands with at the end. he wasnt so brave then was he, when he was face to face with the linesman?

That was stupid... a goal shouldnt be awarded just because the ref dosent wnt to make a hard decision!

Even if Cech was sent off wwe still have cudcini another world class goaly!

When that second guy ran on the pitch i was hoping for a similar situation to that of the milan match, they could have given us a win!

it wasnt, the goal was awarded becuase the linesman felt the ball went over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This isn't going to win me many fans, but I wish these Liverpool fan boys would stop wetting themselves over Carragher. Sure, he had a good game, only because Chelsea were crap going forward.

Terry could learn a lot from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you look at the replay, the ref had the whistle in his mouth, and was about to blow, but saw the advantage and let it go on. Then when it went in/or nearly in blew for the goal.

But my question is this. If it was a foul, and advantage was allowed to be played on, can/should Cech still be sent off, and if so, why wasn't he?
    Surely if the ball went over the line he should have just blown for the whistle and sent Cech off.

PHB wrote:

But my question is this. If it was a foul, and advantage was allowed to be played on, can/should Cech still be sent off, and if so, why wasn't he?
    Surely if the ball went over the line he should have just blown for the whistle and sent Cech off.

surely you cant send him off since he didnt deny a goalscoring chance, since they scored?

^^^ The ref was rubbish, thats why. He was as poor an official i have seen since....The Shels Vs City game yesterday :D .

He never got hold of the game.....Baros' booking Vs Carvalhos luck at not being booked a few times being an example of the refs indecision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

He's been fantastic all season, I'm not even a Liverpool fan but I'm a big fan of his. It's not like he's had the odd good game. Quality central defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Congrats Pool, hands up, Carragher was a rock, the goal decision was v tight.
    I've stood up for Drogs in past but thought he was downright awful, I snapped in The Odeon finally tonight, Lamps was instrumental in all second half play, Robben should have come on at HT. Good luck in final.

• Advertisement
Advertisement