Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Nokia 6600

Options
  • 02-05-2005 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

My Nokia 6600 is completely messsed up!
    Got an error message on friday night saying memory full, delete some data. Couldn't get near anything to delete because the phone was practically frozen. So i figured it was the temp memory that was full, so I turned the phone off. Then when I turn it back on all that happens is the blue Nokia symbol loads up, and nothing else, I don't even get as far as my Pin Code.
    So I tried formatting it, using the green key, * and number 3 when i turned it on yesterday, because it was still at the blue nokia symbol.

Then it says formatting, and its at that for ages, no progress on the bar at the side, so i figured it was frozen, and that maybe it had formatted enough for the phone to load up.
    BUT NO!!
    All that happens now, is when i turn it on the Blue nokia symbol flashes 4 times then knocks itself off.

I'm really worried as I bought it this time last year, and I couldn't get insurance on it. Any one any ideas on what to do? Or how to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

bring the phone to the

Mobile Phone Repair Company Ireland,
    Cellular House, 1 Sandyford Park, Sandyford
    Industrial Estate, Dublin 18. Tel: 353 1 295 0907
    or
    FoneFix, (Sigma Telecom), McKee Avenue,
    Finglas, Dublin 11, Ireland. Tel: 1850-66-00-00

and if the phone is under a year old it is covered in the warraty and you'll get it fixed for free, it'll take about a 3 hours to fix if drop it Mobile Phone Repair Company..
    if its over the year you'll have to pay for the repairs its usally not that expense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

I would say its a software problem its practicly normal with smartphones.Just go to your nearest phone shop or club nokia they'll do the job it probaly needs to be flashed(reset).
    It happened to my 3650 and they did fix it.Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Cheers, don't live in dublin, but I think i know of a nokia place in Galway. Do i need a receipt or anything to prove it's been a year or will they have me on some database?

these is one or two places in galway, but i cant think of what there called or where they are?
    on you wont need any recipet. cause your imei is in an database and they can see when u got the phone

Went into the meteor store i bought it in today, I have the phone for 1 year and 3 weeks, so it's outside warranty.
    They sent I could get it sent off to get looked at and that they'd ring me in the next while with an estimate to get it repaired, if it can be repaired. :-(

• Advertisement

Got a phone call from meteor today, said it couldn't be fixed some sort of nitrous (no idea if that was even the word thats what it sounded like) liquid damage and it wouldn't be repaired. I find that hard to believe that there is any liquid damage, given i took unreal care of it after paying €500 for it. Also, i thought it was just a software problem not anything else.

Pretty annoyed, gonna go in and pick it up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My friend has a 3300 years ago that he dropped on the ground and it wouldnt turn on.

Meteor refused to fix it for free as they said it was "Liquid damage"

Even though he dropped it on the ground :rolleyes:

I've only ever dropped it twice that's how good care i take of it, I just don't understand how it could be anything other than a software issue.

i would get a second oponion, meteor are probaly saying that, cause they dont know wats wrong with it.. its all sales talk.. there is a few places where you can post it to them.. ill have a look for the company name and number for ya

Cheers man, I'd really appreciate that.

• Advertisement

dshakey wrote:
    i would get a second oponion, meteor are probaly saying that, cause they dont know wats wrong with it.. its all sales talk.. there is a few places where you can post it to them.. ill have a look for the company name and number for ya

heres one place, its run by an post. you send it free of charge to the company and they'll fixed for ya.
    Click Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

okay I can imagine the replies I am going to get to this post but I will post it anyway... call me a liar if you will!

I know someone that works fixings phone for Meteor.. they have a scam going. Some people leave their phones in to have them fixed after dropping them in a pint or in the bath etc... they are then told over the phone after an engineer has looked at the phone that it is going to cost alot of money to repair or is unrepairable. Believe it or not most people tell them to forget it and dont bother collecting their handset, not worth the trip.

So.... someone arrives in with a similar handset that has a software issue or similar and the engineer takes the inside out of the liquid damaged phone that the customer never came back for and puts it into your phone! He fixes the software issue on the franken-phone he just created and has a brand new phone ready to sell and you get a call telling you your phone cannot be repaired as it is liquid damaged. You can argue until the cows come home but the phone is actually liquid damaged..... its just not your phone!

This is more common then you might think and as I said I am awaiting the replies saying how paranoid I am etc... THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME!! but as I said someone I know makes a healthy couple of quid off this scam regularly.

Would "he" also change the imei?If he does he would be commiting many crimes.Ask meteor for a photo containing the info where its water damaged.I think Cpw do this also to prove its actually water damaged.I'd look in too this as the symtoms seemed to be a software problem rather than a liquidisation problem?

Barrie wrote:
    Would "he" also change the imei?If he does he would be commiting many crimes.Ask meteor for a photo containing the info where its water damaged.I think Cpw do this also to prove its actually water damaged.I'd look in too this as the symtoms seemed to be a software problem rather than a liquidisation problem?

"he" just lifts the inside out and puts it into the other phone. Why bother changing the IMEI? the user is not going to get an EIR bar on it and is most probably not going to tey get it fixed.

If you were thinking the "he" is me then you would be very wrong...
    1. I wouldnt work for meteor
    2. I wouldnt work fixing phones
    3. If I was scamming phones I wouldnt be writing about it on here.

okay I can imagine the replies I am going to get to this post but I will post it anyway... call me a liar if you will!

I know someone that works fixings phone for Meteor.. they have a scam going. Some people leave their phones in to have them fixed after dropping them in a pint or in the bath etc... they are then told over the phone after an engineer has looked at the phone that it is going to cost alot of money to repair or is unrepairable. Believe it or not most people tell them to forget it and dont bother collecting their handset, not worth the trip.

So.... someone arrives in with a similar handset that has a software issue or similar and the engineer takes the inside out of the liquid damaged phone that the customer never came back for and puts it into your phone! He fixes the software issue on the franken-phone he just created and has a brand new phone ready to sell and you get a call telling you your phone cannot be repaired as it is liquid damaged. You can argue until the cows come home but the phone is actually liquid damaged..... its just not your phone!

This is more common then you might think and as I said I am awaiting the replies saying how paranoid I am etc... THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME!! but as I said someone I know makes a healthy couple of quid off this scam regularly.

I've been thinking about it and i dont believe my phone has liquid damage, i mean i have missed calls etc because of my refusal to take the phone out in the rain, and i've got terrible abuse over it.

Tell me more about this scam, will the phone i get back be all mine? So i can send it off to that an post place? Or am i getting back a phone that actually has liquid damage and not the software problem which I outlined in my OP?

"he" just lifts the inside out and puts it into the other phone. Why bother changing the IMEI? the user is not going to get an EIR bar on it and is most probably not going to tey get it fixed.

If you were thinking the "he" is me then you would be very wrong...
    1. I wouldnt work for meteor
    2. I wouldnt work fixing phones
    3. If I was scamming phones I wouldnt be writing about it on here.

No,you have it all wrong mate.I used "he" because i dont know whether its true or not and im not accusing you of such a thing and never intended to.

Barrie wrote:
    No,you have it all wrong mate.I used "he" because i dont know whether its true or not and im not accusing you of such a thing and never intended to.
    cool man.
    he is real... although sometimes I wish he wasnt.... hes a muppet

I've been thinking about it and i dont believe my phone has liquid damage, i mean i have missed calls etc because of my refusal to take the phone out in the rain, and i've got terrible abuse over it.

Tell me more about this scam, will the phone i get back be all mine? So i can send it off to that an post place? Or am i getting back a phone that actually has liquid damage and not the software problem which I outlined in my OP?
    Is it worth my while? You have me well concerned.

Tbh it doesnt seem to be liquid damaged.Correct me if im wrong but:

A-The phone powers up(Normally a water damaged mobile wouldnt even turn on.And even if it does it would go onto the main menu without a problem and still work with a none or a few defects)

B-You say it has never been near water and were extra carefull around water.

C-Go to club nokia or to a mobile repair shop to get a second oppinon(maybe first dont tell them that it has been marked as water damaged and tell them its not powering up to the full menu.
    See what they say.

It powers up no prob just dont get as far as the pin code stage. I'm 99.9% certain its a software issue and all it needs is formatting.

I'm defo getting a second opinion, but i am now concerned that the phone i get back will not be the one i submitted? (to johnnymobile)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Been watching this thread and getting annoyed with all the conning that goes on.
    PM me and I'll give you my address and I can look at it for you and flash it ....................if it needs flashing

Conning?

Yeah!
    The meteor story above etc
    And all the usual water damage stories

In almost all cases I've seen, the water damage excuse is just to fob you off.

Hi. If they have told you the phone is water damaged then they have probably already had anything that was good out of your phone and the handset you get back will have water damaged parts in it. If you have the IMEI (will be on the box the phone came in) check it against the IMEI on the sticker behind the battery. Im not sure about the 6600 but on alot of the phones this sticker is stuck to the mainboard of the phone so it cannot be easily changed. If they have swapped the inards of your phone for a liquid damaged one then the IMEI will more then likely be different to the one on your box. If thats the case you have been swindled and some thieving animal has half of your phone.... Again I expected people to say I was making up stories or "conning" as that other fella said but accept my advice or not I dont really care.

If you take your phone back and the IMEI does not match the IMEI on the box complain to Meteor as its your last hope.

I didnt say YOU wre conning!!!!!!!!!!!
    God almighty. Everybody gets it wrong.
    I was agreeing with you that there are people out there pulling conjobs such as the one you described

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement