Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDS Information

• 02-05-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

OK, exams begin tomorrow (for me anyway) and I need some info about the RDS. First of all, what do we need to bring to the exams and secondly, how long do we have to stay for them? Can we leave after 30 mintes or so? If someone could detail everything for me, sort of like the RDS Exams for dummies, I'd appreciate it. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm too lazy to type out an entire RDS guide for you, but it will suffice to say this:

1. Bring pens. Lots of pens. Well... Two at least.

2. Yes, you can leave after 30 minutes. When there are less than 30 mins left, nobody is allowed leave until the end. So effectively if it's a 3 hr exam, there's a 2 hour window for leaving...

3. Print off you examination card. It's on SIS StuWeb, I think. This is the first year UCD isn't sending Freshers like yourself any info, and IMO this is one hell of a mistake. You'll need this Exam Card or you won't get in, simple as that.

4. You obviously also need your student card, but the exam card thingy is arguably more important.

5. Eh... That's about it. Altho I personally will be bringing Valium, TetraHydroCannabinol, Whiskey, a GBA and a pillow.

P.S. Does anyone have a GBA I could borrow for tomorro? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Bring a bottle of water and something to keep you going - be it bananas or coke.

You also get searched when going to the toilet. Enjoy!

Bring a hoody or something cos it can get pretty cold in there.

Also, when you walk in - prepare to be dazzled at the sheer size quantity of students.

Finally, look out for the birds (the winged type) who are inside and dive bomb you as you type; if they sh!t on your manuscript it's your problem :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You will get searched
    - going to the toilet
    They MAY ALSO DECIDE if they wish to search you
    - entering the hall
    - leaving the hall (especially when you leave early - make sure you don't have a mobile phone on you or it will be parted from you and taken to belfield for "analysis")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

you can also go to the nurse and get time added on at the end for the time you missed, handy if your girl cause you Always get allowed to go to the nurse with girls problems, who'd say no?
    gives you time to think through an essay or ask the nurse q's about your nursing exam :) also they will see it marked on your test and you'll get a sympathy vote.
    but if you got to use that tactic its safe to say your fu<ked for your exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

You also get searched when going to the toilet.

?

• Advertisement

...at the doorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

some cnut post grad gives u a once over with his sweaty palms? fook that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

so what the hell do i do with my phone then, i'm not leaving it in my bag for some ****er to nick...and i aint not bringing it I'll be like 2hrs away from home, anything could happen-someone could be nice and offer me a lift...fat chance though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is it worthwhile to bring your bag or will I have to leave it somewhere? Thanks for the info though and I'll make sure I go the toilet before I enter the exams. ;)

If you have a bag you have to stick it in a mad pile of hundreds...and if people are out early they get first pick :D

Honestly, don't bother unless you have to. The simple solution is to get a car!

• Advertisement

I figured out a very systematic bag placement. In the atrium place before the exam centre, there are three very big gas heaters built into the wall. I usually leave my bag to the right hand side of the middle one which is handy as it's a tiny little corner you wouldn't know was there if you didn't look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SebtheBum wrote:
    P.S. Does anyone have a GBA I could borrow for tomorro? :D
    I have a GBA, GBA SP and a DS. Take your pick. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

You need 5 things:

Exam card
    Student card
    pencil case
    Calculator
    Bottle of water

actually you prob don't need calculator, i just always check I have 5 things with me when I'm walking in, and then I'm happy!

You can't leave in the 1st half hour or the last 10 minutes

Your bag will be fine - the sheer quantity of bags left there means someone is unlikely to go rooting through yours. Put it under other ppls bags if your worried! Oh and Red Alert brought this up, its very important to put your bag soemwhere with a "mark" i.e. by the heater, by a bench, by the middle door. Seriously cos when you come out you will never find it if you've just dumped it somewhere. There will be thousands of bags there!

When you get handed your exam paper don't freak out - even if you think you can do absolutely nothing on it give it your best shot and don't panic. I know that can be hard, but instead of panicing write down everything even vaugely related to the subject thats in your head. This happened to me in one of my repeat exams last Autumn, lecturer completly changed the style of the paper so none of us could do a thing. I threw down everything even vaugely related to the questions he did ask, left thinking "I'll be repeating the year but at least I tried my best", then ended up getting 30% in it and passing by compensation! :D

When you get to the RDS there will be an oncredible amount of ppl just milling around chatting and studying. Your best bet at this stage is to find a piece of ground, sit down, and go over everything one last time before you go in. Don't go in too early, cos the worst part is when your sitting there with no notes and not able to do anything but wait! (Seriously the time frame from when the head invigilator calls for silence, and they hand out the papers will be the longest 2 minutes of your life :D )

Anyway I'm off so hope this helps someone, you'll all do fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

You can leave your phone and other valuables in the invigilator's office, it's just to the left of the yellow doors. V. handy. State of all the phones going off in the exam hall today though :rolleyes:. And I've never been searched on the way into the bathroom - is that a new thing? Noticed they had a sign-in sheet for it today though, which I've never seen before.

My must-have list:
    Food (today I had a flapjack, sometimes I have a banana. slow release of energy and all that.)
    Water
    at least 2 normal pens and 1 fancy coloured pen
    Lip balm (they get awful dry from chewing on them)
    Tippex
    Wallet
    Exam card/student card.

Anyway, my first exam went like a dream. One down, six to go, and then I gots me a degree. Oh yes.

And two other bits of advice...

If you're doing a numerical problem (or I suppose even with a quote in arts or something), suppose you know the answer you got is wrong (maybe you know it can't be less than zero etc) and you've checked and don't know why. Write a little word beside it, because he's more likely to give you marks for what you have done right if you know that the answer you got is wrong.

If you're unsure at all about how you're proceeding in a question, or you've forgotton a bit of the proof etc. write down in words exactly what you're trying to achieve in this step. (e.g. I know I want to integrate so i get a value over the whole thing) If you know the next step in the calculation or problem, leave a space, write it down and continue. It'll save you hours spent blankly staring at a page.

Choose your seat wisely. You need to see one of the clocks, (in the rds preferably the big one which is what the invigilator will use). In my case I know I get distracted if anyone's in front of me so i try to sit at the front of the section during the exam. You might end up getting more distracted if you can't see people you know - try a few seats and see what suits.

As blondie said there's plenty of room in the rds and the grounds of it. If you don't want people bothering you with last minute questions, go off to a little quiet place where you can study/meditate/do drugs in peace!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

When they say the RDS, do they mean Simmonscourt, where the rides for Funderland are, behind the British Embassy or do they mean the place opposite the big AIB Headquarters? I don't wanna end up walking round the wrong one looking for an exam hall and miss my exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

It's the place where Funderland does be, not the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

SebtheBum wrote:
    3. Print off you examination card. It's on SIS StuWeb, I think. This is the first year UCD isn't sending Freshers like yourself any info, and IMO this is one hell of a mistake. You'll need this Exam Card or you won't get in, simple as that.
    Oh my God all the first years will fail their exams because of this :D

blondie83 wrote:
    You need 5 things:

Exam card
    Student card
    pencil case
    Calculator
    Bottle of water

actually you prob don't need calculator, i just always check I have 5 things with me when I'm walking in, and then I'm happy!

You can't leave in the 1st half hour or the last 10 minutes

Your bag will be fine - the sheer quantity of bags left there means someone is unlikely to go rooting through yours. Put it under other ppls bags if your worried! Oh and Red Alert brought this up, its very important to put your bag soemwhere with a "mark" i.e. by the heater, by a bench, by the middle door. Seriously cos when you come out you will never find it if you've just dumped it somewhere. There will be thousands of bags there!

When you get handed your exam paper don't freak out - even if you think you can do absolutely nothing on it give it your best shot and don't panic. I know that can be hard, but instead of panicing write down everything even vaugely related to the subject thats in your head. This happened to me in one of my repeat exams last Autumn, lecturer completly changed the style of the paper so none of us could do a thing. I threw down everything even vaugely related to the questions he did ask, left thinking "I'll be repeating the year but at least I tried my best", then ended up getting 30% in it and passing by compensation! :D

When you get to the RDS there will be an oncredible amount of ppl just milling around chatting and studying. Your best bet at this stage is to find a piece of ground, sit down, and go over everything one last time before you go in. Don't go in too early, cos the worst part is when your sitting there with no notes and not able to do anything but wait! (Seriously the time frame from when the head invigilator calls for silence, and they hand out the papers will be the longest 2 minutes of your life :D )

Anyway I'm off so hope this helps someone, you'll all do fine!

This information really helped me today. Thanks. I just wish I brought some food with me. I was starving and my belly was growling like a beast! The people around me pretended not to notice but I know they did! :o

And the advantage of food... If you've done all you can do in an exam before the hour's up (been there, done that...) you can spend the rest of the time eating and drawing smiley faces on the rough work sheet.

• Advertisement

And the advantage of food... If you've done all you can do in an exam before the hour's up (been there, done that...) you can spend the rest of the time eating and drawing smiley faces on the rough work sheet.

Don't worry. I'll be bringing my packet of Starburst next time. ;)

Starburst Joosters = best study and exam food ever. Bar none.

I miss the good old days when they were called Opal Fruits. Simpler times. :)

opal fruits are grand but I it drives me a bit nuts when people bring in a ton of food and have a 5 course meal in the middle of the exam! or when they bring in really stinky food like sardines (well it will happen ay one of these days now).
    The worst thing about the RDS is the seats, designed to be un comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I dunno, I mean starburst are good, but what of jaffa cakes? i wanted to bring a tube of them into the exam with me yesterday, but didn't think I'd be allowed! Oh and MNG glad the post helped someone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Hmmmm...them and snowballs-make a lot of noise opening them and then youv all the coconut bits afterwards...but hey its worth it...hmmm....my exam diet consists of a HUGE Mars bar, a milky way (if i remember) lots of water, and ickle mars bars....

think i've a problem..

If I were u blondie I'd bring them in-if they ask any questions use a "its that time of the month" excuse and you need it to help with the pain and stuff....hey it works in work... :D

Alana wrote:
    use a "its that time of the month" excuse

yes that is definitely most womens trump card! jafa cakes ok i'd say cause in a tube I don't think they got krinkly wrapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Alana wrote:
    Hmmmm...them and snowballs-make a lot of noise opening them and then youv all the coconut bits afterwards...but hey its worth it...hmmm....

but the coconut bits are the best part, you can stick them to you finger and spend hours trying to get them all. It's a veritable feast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

prob well late for this but anyway.

there has been some misiformation in previous posts.

you cannot leave in the first hour of the exam, not 30 mins as stated in other posts.

you also cannot leave in the last 10mins of your exam, ie 9.30 -11.30 (2hr exam), cannot leave after 11.20, 9.30-12.30 cannot leave after 12.20

student ID is more important than exam card, becasue exam card is easy to fake. invigilators can get your exam number anyway.

don't leave valuables in cars, several cars were broken into during the week and laptops and bags were taken.

mobile phones are no longer being confiscated, but you will be searched entering toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I saw no searching when I was there and I'm the sort of person who always gets searched - the last time by 2 German police and an alsatian.

themole wrote:
    there has been some misiformation in previous posts.

you cannot leave in the first hour of the exam, not 30 mins as stated in other posts.

you also cannot leave in the last 10mins of your exam, ie 9.30 -11.30 (2hr exam), cannot leave after 11.20, 9.30-12.30 cannot leave after 12.20

Ah invigilators! How I hate the way they uphold rules and regulation's! what ever happened to the good ol' day's when you could slip a 20, a bottle of hooch or a sleeve of smokes and they would look the other way.
    Whats the world coming top with all this rule abiding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

themole wrote:
    but you will be searched entering toilets.

Nope, I was never searched. And I went to the cr*pper every other exam.
    Ya have to sign in, with the time and your student number, but other than that nothin...

SebtheBum wrote:
    Nope, I was never searched. And I went to the cr*pper every other exam.
    Ya have to sign in, with the time and your student number, but other than that nothin...
    Yeah I signed off as all sorts, everyone from tony Montana to wesley snipes has gone to the toilet when I was in the exam , I mad sure to change the numbers as well, a digit here and there.
    Ah can't wait till tomo a-noon, finished last exam (last real one till a easy one on thurs) !
    PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! PARTY!

ahh! exam in 7 hours need to sleep!!! AHHH!

Advertisement