Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I share a wired hotel room network???

• 02-05-2005 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

I am using the net on a wired internet connection. There was also supposed to be wireless available in the room, but its not working.

My laptop has the hotel network into the LAN card and I also have a PCMCIA wifi card in this laptop.

How can I share the connection as an adhoc network? I want a 2nd laptop using another wifi PCMCIA card or a PDA with a Wifi SD card to have net access also, sharing the wired connection on this one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

wolfman wrote:
    I am using the net on a wired internet connection. There was also supposed to be wireless available in the room, but its not working.

My laptop has the hotel network into the LAN card and I also have a PCMCIA wifi card in this laptop.

How can I share the connection as an adhoc network? I want a 2nd laptop using another wifi PCMCIA card or a PDA with a Wifi SD card to have net access also, sharing the wired connection on this one?

You'll need to hook up a base station (be it a bridge or a router), for connectivity to your laptops. These vary in price and quality. There's another way to do it (involving a pc, linux, a wireless card and a low powered omni-directional antenna), but it's not worth the hassle to setup for the "regular" user. Personally, I'd get something like this, hook it up to your net connection, then hook your pc to that with cat5 and use the laptop's wireless cards to surf the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Thanks for the reply. Fiddled about with it for a while but got nowhere so I gave up.

Only needed it for tonight :D
    Cheers anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You should ahve been able to do it by switching the wireless card in to Ad-Hoc mode then enabling internet connection sharing or by bridging the interfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Rew wrote:
    You should ahve been able to do it by switching the wireless card in to Ad-Hoc mode then enabling internet connection sharing or by bridging the interfaces.
    damn, pipped at the post.

might well be worth saying though that XP supports ad-hoc natively, so if you let windows manage your wifi card you can set your pc up as an impromtu access point.

just go into wireless configuration, it's all pretty straightforward once you get started. just be sure to have some sort of encryption or you'll be giving everyone a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Tried the ad-hoc mode and got nothing?
    Although thats what I used to use at home before I got a wireless router
    Thanks anyway lads

• Advertisement

Ad-hoc can be a bit tricky and dependiing on the set up u may have to put in all the IP address info by hand on each unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

ad-hoc is useless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

what you do is connect to the hotel connection, make your wireless connection adhoc, then in WindowsXP, bridge the hotel network connection and the wireless connection. nearly sure this is what i did when i needed wireless at home before i got my router.

Superman wrote:
    ad-hoc is useless!

Wow! Real words of wisdom there :rolleyes:

Advertisement