Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architecture

• 02-05-2005 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, Architecture in UCD's my #1 course for September. I've been to Belfield a few times, nice place, a bit too far out of town for my liking, but the numbers mean it has to be a laugh. Nice gym, nice track, nice girls... what more do you want?
    Anyway, j'ai visité the school of architecture out there in Clonskeagh at the Open Day way back in '04, them were the days, and all I can remember is a dusty workshop with some great project work. My change of mind form arrived during the week, this is my number one for 5 years now, but can someone who does the course or who knows students fill me in on what it's like, just generally. What's the gender ratio, what are lectures, projects, experience like, et cetera...?
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

so... em... nobody does architecture or knows anyone doing architecture then, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

We all do arts (one or two of us do science/eng).

I'm sure there's one or two arch. heads who read here - there has to be.

ok... and there's no one in all of the arts department who happens to go on boards that knows someone over in architecture. ok

upmeath wrote:
    ok... and there's no one in all of the arts department who happens to go on boards that knows someone over in architecture. ok

Pretty much. Seriously, unless you know them before coming to UCD chances are you won't get to know all that many people from other departments - sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Absolutely not true. If you stay within your own faculty friends wise you aren't making the effort.

If you become an active memory of any sports club or society, you will make several friends from across a wide number of faculties.

To OP, I wouldn't worry too much about the gender ratio if I were you, a good rule is to stay out of your own class with regards canoodling and shenanigans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I'd recommend you Architecture in Bolton Street for the course, and Architecture in UCD for the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you prove successful with architecture please come back to UCD and do something about the oppressive Stalinist buildings that inhabit this place!
    Architecture shouldn't be permitted to be taught in UCD in my view as the architecture here is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Some of the new buildings are cool enough. I saw the computer science and vet buildings yesterday for the first time and they're cool!

Though my home of the arts block and science are rather ugly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

...stay out of your own class with regards canoodling and shenanigans!

Would this be directed at anyone or is it just experience talking? ;)

If you prove successful with architecture please come back to UCD and do something about the oppressive Stalinist buildings that inhabit this place!
    Architecture shouldn't be permitted to be taught in UCD in my view as the architecture here is abysmal.

That's the only reason I have doubts about the quality of course. I don't think UCD deserves the opportunity as a college to boast housing one of just four architecture courses in Ireland. It's terrible. There's more architecture in Tallaght, Blanchardstown and other suburbs where houses were just thrown together than in UCD. So that's why I have my doubts! Stalinist... LOL. I wouldnt go that far but a wrecking ball or dynamite could become UCD's best friends if it ever sees rejuvenation! It is the true concrete jungle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

a good rule is to stay out of your own class with regards canoodling and shenanigans!

Where the hell was this advice when I needed it this time last year?!?!??! :(
    One extremely acrimonious breakup was what it took to instill this valuable lesson in me...

Ah, sod it, I probably wouldn't have listened to ya anyway Landyn Whining Spaceship :D

right... so figure me this one out to avoid me falling into such a trap next year... i cant score girls on my course, but according to an earlier post i won't get to know anyone outside my department anyway? doesn't make sense if you ask me... does this mean celibacy of a sort? and can anyone tell me a little bit about societies & clubs, in particular athletics, basketball, music (trad, rock or hiphop) and comedy.

last question.. i know a lot of you are ortsheads, but which faculty offers the best talent? honestly!!!

upmeath wrote:
    right... so figure me this one out to avoid me falling into such a trap next year... i cant score girls on my course, but according to an earlier post i won't get to know anyone outside my department anyway? doesn't make sense if you ask me... does this mean celibacy of a sort? and can anyone tell me a little bit about societies & clubs, in particular athletics, basketball, music (trad, rock or hiphop) and comedy.

last question.. i know a lot of you are ortsheads, but which faculty offers the best talent? honestly!!!

I was a bit harsh when I said you don't meet people from outside your course.
    In the day to day runnings of things you probably won't unless you're very gregarious. But the clubs and socs (a UCD strong point it has to be said) are an opportunity if you attend them (many don't).

My mate is 5th Arch in DIT and loves it (I hated Kevin Street, but you wouldn't be based there), I don't know any Arch heads in UCD.

Regards etc,

Birds - the best looking birds are in the lake (swans and queer ducks).

As for the non-avian variety the best would probably be Arts; for two reasons (a) the sheer number or girls there (and they're ratio to guys) (b) the different types of Arts chicks, this is thanks to the wide variety of courses available from psychology to maths studies to greek.

However, the science/eng chicks do tend to be less pretentious if fewer in number.

Med chicks are just insane ;) (waves at Panda100 and Michelle).

Ag birds are usually easy to get on with but wellies 'aint really my thing (I'm only half joking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Birds....? non avian variety... I think "we've" fought long and hard for equal rights etc, and now u degrade us with such terms....tut tut tut, would expect that from a commerce student, but I thought arts students would know better, from now on it's yer one, MILF's in training or ladies-generally the krazy variety is preferable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

UCD arts chicks :
    MILF's in training

classic alana, classic.l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

Law girls are the best! Oh yeah!

Alana wrote:
    Birds....? non avian variety... I think "we've" fought long and hard for equal rights etc, and now u degrade us with such terms....tut tut tut, would expect that from a commerce student, but I thought arts students would know better, from now on it's yer one, MILF's in training or ladies-generally the krazy variety is preferable...
    :):):)

Ah, well you see I'm only a mulatto Arts student what with my course being based in the both Science building and Arts land (and being 4 years long :rolleyes:).

Besides I think a pair of flying wings would suit you... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

upmeath wrote:

Arts has plenty of damn fine looking ladies. ;)
    The trouble is, if you start the year ignoring the societies and generally being fairly quiet and reserved (in other words, if you do what I did), you will find being around all these beautiful girls is like being a kid in a candy store...who has given candy up for lent. :o

Advice for next year, if you want to be around the beautiful girls apply to the fashion show, to model or be on the committee! Must be the best way for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Alana wrote:
    Birds....? non avian variety... I think "we've" fought long and hard for equal rights etc, and now u degrade us with such terms

Eh... Well, I'm from South-East London, so where I come from "birds" is a perfectly acceptable description of a female homosapien... It could be worse. At least we don't say "b*tches".

Anyway, to upmeath; You'll know loadsa ppl after a while who aren't in your course but are in your department - ppl who are a year below ya or a year ahead of you. Stick to the rule - don't go for ppl in your course, it always ends in tears an then you have to see em regularly for the next oooh 3 years at least. But that doesn't mean you have to be celibate in college thank cr*p...

Okay. And clubwise I suppose it's advisable to stay clear of the Ladies' rugby, camogie and football teams when I'm scouting? I've seen the lake, I'm inviting friends over to come skinny-dipping in it with me on New Year's Day 2006 (weather permitting, subject to licence), that should up the quality of the birds tenfold. Any takers? So are engineering/law/med girls the "worst" if you catch my drift?

You'll catch many a disease if you go near that lake.... seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

It does...I went for an ill-advised swim in Lake 2 on the last day of term this year, and a tetanus shot seemed the only way to go....

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Errr...

By "it does" , I of course meant "You will."

Me fail English? No way!

I blame three hour philosophy exams. :(

ok.. and the fac to avoid at all costs as regards ladies, with the glaringly obvious exception of the ag dept, is...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Architecture - prepared to do a LOT of work. Long hours and lots of projects. Guy I kind of know doing it is really enjoying it.
    With those hours I'd image you'll be pretty confined to the department.

And scoring your own class isn't always a good idea... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

heh up meath, i just finished 1st yr architecture last friday over in richview(backarse of UCD)
    It is possibly the best course in UCD, only about 60 in each year and you get to know everyone really well, as for scoring your own class, loads of architects end up marrying, or so d lecturers told us!
    The hours are mad, lots of 12 hour days before handups etc, lecturers are pretty easy, exams are ok, Studio is excellent, u will spend all your time here, 1/2 years marks 4 projects!

Advertisement