Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car cruise & garda

Options
  • 02-05-2005 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I took my dads car out to a cruise last night , at the end all the exits were blocked off by guards and they were checking all cars coming out. they checked my dads car and everything was in order ( i have full licence, and car is taxed insured & nct'd) .they asked me for my insurance cert but it wasnt in the car and then they said i have to produce it at a garda station within 10 days.
    my question is : will i get in trouble as the car is my dads and only insured on him (it will say this on the insurance cert.) and what if i just forget about it and not go up at all.??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Its people like you who drive our insurance up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

why for taking my dad car out 10miles and returning half an hour later? ....the car IS insured and i wasnt acting the bollox there either.
    Back to the topic , any usefull suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ya is insured for your dad not you! You dont have to travel more than 10miles to have a crash, write off a car and you not being insured. Hope ya get what coming to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

PlayaFlow wrote:
    any usefull suggestions?

PISS OFF :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

a little f..ker ran into my sisters car in the estate last june,he was only driveing around the estate and had no insurance,own up ur caught :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you and your Dad have open drive on your policies, bring both insurance certs to the station and explain the situation.

If not, tough ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

if u ignore it and dont produce something in 10 days you will get done for not producing it as well as not being insured.go in and own up,u got busted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PlayaFlow wrote:
    why for taking my dad car out 10miles and returning half an hour later? ....the car IS insured and i wasnt acting the bollox there either.
    Are you insured to drive the car? If you're not, frankly I hope you get screwed. Hard.

And if you're not it's just justified the cops blocking all the exits and checking documentation on the way out so well done there if that's the case.

If your insurance cert says that you're entitled to drive other cars then just produce the cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

You had no insurance to drive that car - full stop.

1. Tell your father about it
    2. Plead guilty and get a good solicitor.
    3. Produce your driving licence at least cause you have that.
    4. Explain it to the Garda.

The head in the sand approach is not a good choice in this situation.

You have not stated your age - if you are under 18 you could be cautioned under the Juvenile Liaison scheme - this means you will be given a second chance and will not have a conviction recorded against you - if you are over 18 this does not apply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your dad was insured to drive the car NOT you. You were driving a car that YOU were not insured to drive. It doesn't matter whether it was 10 miles or 10 meters you broke the law. You could have hit something or worse still hit a pedestrian right outside your door. The rest of us are not paying big bucks every year in car insurance for the fun of it.

The guards have the car's details so expect a knock on the door soon, your father as the registered owner may be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

bazz26 wrote:
    The guards have the car's details so expect a knock on the door soon, your father as the registered owner may be prosecuted.

I don't think his father can be prosecuted for anything as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

KILLER BLOW :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PlayaFlow wrote:
    they asked me for my insurance cert but it wasnt in the car : will i get in trouble as the car is my dads and only insured on him
    It's a bit late now , but check your cert in case it allows you to drive another persons car with thier permission. Also check his cert to see if allows named driver / open drive. If so then you were covered.

But for taking out a car without knowing if you were insured or not - no sympathy.

I know of someone who crashed the family car. Because they were only thirdparty on the car , the owner of the car claimed that they didn't give permission and so the car was stolen and so the could claim full insurance. Not sure how it ended or if urban myth but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

jeez, your some dumb kid to be going to a cruise uninsured, nevermind being uninsured in the first place. I spent 5 Grand on my first years insurance... 5 F*cking grand because of idiots like you. You won't get any sympathy from sites like CruiseIrl either so dont bother asking for help there. Pray your on an open policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

PlayaFlow wrote:
    I took my dads car out to a cruise last night , at the end all the exits were blocked off by guards and they were checking all cars coming out. they checked my dads car and everything was in order ( i have full licence, and car is taxed insured & nct'd) .they asked me for my insurance cert but it wasnt in the car and then they said i have to produce it at a garda station within 10 days.
    my question is : will i get in trouble as the car is my dads and only insured on him (it will say this on the insurance cert.) and what if i just forget about it and not go up at all.??

okay couple of things here

firstly you have to produce your documents it is a legal demand and you can ( and will be ) prosecuted for not producing the insurance cert within 10 days

The cert if i read your situation correctly will only show the fact that he is the only one insured to drive the car.

Assuming that this is the case , and that you are not insured on the car
    and if the situation was something like " hey dad can I borrow the car " well then he can be prosecuted for letting you use the car without insurance,
    as well as you being prosecuted for not having any either,
    this will be mean mandatory endorsement and /or disqualification if your convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can pay my insurance if you don't want to pay for your own:D

EDIT:Oh.. your that guy who doesn't use round-abouts correctly and who overtakes on the inside lane? :p

EDIT 2: Ideas removed, fli, remove your quote please:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Take your punishment like a man(if you are one), personally i hope you get whats comming to you. I mean of all the places to drive un-insured you go to a cruise. i hope your not looking for sympathy because anyone here who pays car insurance is gettin it in the arse because of people who do stupid things like this. I dont drive myself but it still pisses me off that people can be so stupid to get in to these situations without realising the knock on effects it can cause for other Motorists

cormie wrote:
    done :)

thats a crock of **** tbh.hopefully he would have produced his licence when stoped as its now law to have it with you at all times when driving.dont be giving ideas of how to get out of it to him.he took a chance and got busted now its time to take whats comming

fli wrote:
    thats a crock of **** tbh.hopefully he would have produced his licence when stoped as its now law to have it with you at all times when driving.dont be giving ideas of how to get out of it to him.he took a chance and got busted now its time to take whats comming

My bad, sorry!! Could you edit your post so your not quoting the idea? I removed them from my post! I was just typing as I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

Worst thing you can do is ignore it. Speak to the Garda who stopped you, explain and apologise. They have some discretion, but its extremely unlikely he'll let you go - especially considering where you were stopped. It was a stupid thing to do - accept the consequences.

• Advertisement

done :)

just saw another post by that guy here

sounds like a right looney tbh

Cool Fli!

It's good to see he's using the forums anyway, it's a valuable learning source, even has been for me:)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You may want to acquaint yourself with this . 5 points for driving without insurance, and you deserve it. Who would pay for theperson you crash into if they wind up a vegetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From the penalty points website:

[font=Century Gothic,arial] Under the Penalty Points System

· Driving without insurance is generally punishable by a fine of up to EUR2,500, disqualification of one year or more for a first offence and two years or more for a second offence, and, at the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months.

· In the case of a first offence of driving without insurance, the court may decide in special cases not to impose a period of disqualification or to impose a period of disqualification of less than a year. Since 1st June 2003, where the court decides not to impose a disqualification drivers convicted of a first offence of driving without insurance will incur 5 penalty points on their licence record in addition to any other penalty imposed by the court.

· The commission of a second offence for driving without insurance leads to an automatic disqualification.

· In addition, it should be noted that where a member of the Garda Síochána believes that a mechanically propelled vehicle being used in a public place, which is registered in the State, is being driven without insurance, the vehicle may be impounded.
    [/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Sounds to me like PlayaFlow needs to be taught a valuable lesson.

I sincerely hope they throw the book at him and, based on his description of his own past offences in that other threat, I also hope that they disqualify him for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You deserve what's coming to you. Uninsured dicks have been ramping up the cost of insurance for the rest of us for far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stuff

cormie wrote:
    Cool Fli!

It's good to see he's using the forums anyway, it's a valuable learning source, even has been for me:)

The guy that replys to him is a bit of a tool aswell. (30-6 shooter)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I'm in court on Thursday as a witness against some uninsured wanker who hit my car back in October. He was less than 2 miles from his house, so theres goes your argument about only driving a short distance.

Will let you know what you can expect - hopefully a ban or 5 points and a €2.5K fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only ban ppl for personal abuse but I may just stretch the rule to include downright stupidity. :rolleyes:

That said, scolding muppets has its value too.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Neuro wrote:
    I don't think his father can be prosecuted for anything as far as I can see.
    isn't it an offence to knowingly allow your car to be driven by any person not legally allowed to, I recall court cases in Mayo wasn't it over similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement