Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better Xbox Or PS2 ??

Options
  • 02-05-2005 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you think ? Don't have either and will prob buy one soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

they both have a lot of the same games, only a few good unique games, which games do you prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PeoplesRepublic

I have both, Id go with the PS2 for games and the controllers are better. If your going to mod it I'd go with the xbox. You should look at the Gamecube aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

PS2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hardware wise the Xbox is far superior, with better sound and graphics, a hard drive, and controllers I found to be far superior to the ps2 for games such as FPS and action based games.

Depends on what genre you are looking at though really, and on what basis you judge the better console.

Personally I think the Xbox is alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Have a look at some games you like and see which ones are on which consoles.

Taking the games out of the equation, the Xbox is the better machine. And a modded Xbox is just on a different level than the PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A Modded Xbox > all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The xbox isn't worth getting unless you are willing to go on line and mod the xbox. It definitely has the best online support and when modded is a good entertainment system and runs emulators. However I can count the amount of exclusive xbox games that I'm interested in on 2 hands (8 to be precise). For me the PS2 is a far better machine because there are far better exclusive games for it and much more support for it. It has every multiconsole game that the xbox has and despite the xbox running them a little better they run nicely on the PS2. A mod chip is required for a few import gems but even without it its a far better system.

You should also consider the Gamecube. The Resident Evil 4 pack is going for pocket money prices. Also since you are buying it late in its life all the best games are on budget and can be gotten cheaply on line. There is also no need for a modchip for import games since freeloader does the job. I'd be more inclined to go for the Gamecube. There are far more AAA titles on the GC than on the PS2 and Xbox combined and most are on the players choice budget range. Most of the best multi-console games are available for it too most of which are the only ones to be considered. The only problem is the lack of on-line play except for 2 games, i think, but then thats what PCs are for.

I'd go with a GC first, then the PS2 and finally the Xbox. Whatever you choose you won't be disappointed if you buy the right games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I have both, Id go with the PS2 for games and the controllers are better. If your going to mod it I'd go with the xbox. You should look at the Gamecube aswell

You gotta be kidding. The ps2 controllers are far inferior to the x-box ones. It's always a matter of opinion with any of these topics though so these threads are stupid and pointless.
    You should also consider the Gamecube. The Resident Evil 4 pack is going for pocket money prices. Also since you are buying it late in its life all the best games are on budget and can be gotten cheaply on line. There is also no need for a modchip for import games since freeloader does the job. I'd be more inclined to go for the Gamecube. There are far more AAA titles on the GC than on the PS2 and Xbox combined and most are on the players choice budget range. Most of the best multi-console games are available for it too most of which are the only ones to be considered. The only problem is the lack of on-line play except for 2 games, i think, but then thats what PCs are for.

That's your opinion. Another person might beleive there are more AAA titles on the x-box. It's all a matter of taste. Not everyone has decent pc's either for online play.

BloodBath

Retr0gamer wrote:
    For me the PS2 is a far better machine because there are far better exclusive games for it

I have a PS2 but I havent been interested in it for a while, are there actually that many exclusive games for it? Off the top of my head the only game I can think of is Tekken, GT4, and Snake Eater.

Pro's for Xbox:
    Four controller ports
    Harddrive(never EVER have to worry about saved games space)
    Custom soundtracks on most games which need them(Driving games etc.)
    Better graphics(I honestly never cared about this untill I saw Chaos Theory on my friends PS2)
    Downloadable content
    Good online support

Con's for the Xbox:
    Looks very ugly
    Doesnt have a huge selection of games
    More expensive games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Kazaanova wrote:
    Con's for the Xbox:
    Doesnt have a huge selection of games
    More expensive games

Other than older titles nearly everything thats on the PS2 is on the Xbox.

Games are the same price. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wait six months and buy an XBox 360 (groan), which will play all those old XBox games. Or buy a GameCube, you can pick those up for €50 these days, and there's dozens of games you'll be proud to own available for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Xbox games are not more expensive?

And how could you want a bigger selection of games??

Unless you have very select taste that requires a ps2 for the sort of fantasy/rpg games you seek, there is more selection then you'd ever need for the xbox....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If you have the money - get a modded xbox. For XBMC alone it is worth it.

If you want a console for games only then get whatever is cheapest - they have mostly the same games anyway. They're both being replaced soon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

BloodBath wrote:
    You gotta be kidding. The ps2 controllers are far inferior to the x-box ones. It's always a matter of opinion with any of these topics though so these threads are stupid and pointless.

Aaah, having a bad day Bloodbath?
    have to agree with you on the controllers, is really a matter of taste.
    the OP was asking for opinion, which is never a waste of time when buying something, so get over it
    BloodBath wrote:
    That's your opinion. Another person might beleive there are more AAA titles on the x-box. It's all a matter of taste. Not everyone has decent pc's either for online play.

BloodBath

Of course it's his opinion, or he wouldn't be posting it with his Account, don't see him mentioning that the whole world thinks this way. Have to agree with Retrogamer though, the Gamecube is actually the only console which has very unique and interesting games

But bad to topic

I recently got myself one for 40 Bucks and have to say, I love the GC, never had as much fun with Console games (well, except for the Final Fantasy games on PS2, which was the only reason I bought one in the first place.)
    on any other plattform.

think I would haveto recommend the GC, res 4 is great fun. and the price is great for it, especially seeing that the successors to the PS2 and XBOX are only a stonesthrow away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I have a PS2, and I have no complaints.

Hasn't this type of thread been done..... more than once?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Illuvatar wrote:
    I have a PS2, and I have no complaints.

I've a PS2 and i've loads of complaints. I've gone through 1 already due to a faulty laser that was more expensive to replace than to buy a new PS2 and my less than a year old PS2 sounds like a turbine when using CDs and seems to be on the way out as well.

Some people just have all the luck, huh retro?
    Around here one of my friends had a bad PS2 and one had a bad X-box so we're 1-1 and also around here if you own a Gamecube you're labled queer and get the **** kicked out of you.
    Secondly, why would you recomend the PS2 as your second pick when you've had so many problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Illuvatar wrote:
    Some people just have all the luck, huh retro?
    Around here one of my friends had a bad PS2 and one had a bad X-box so we're 1-1 and also around here if you own a Gamecube you're labled queer and get the **** kicked out of you.
    where the fúck do you live? Lord Of The Flies Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aaah, having a bad day Bloodbath?
    have to agree with you on the controllers, is really a matter of taste.
    the OP was asking for opinion, which is never a waste of time when buying something, so get over it

Lol no I just hate these sort of threads. There is no right or wrong answer. It's like saying is the P4 or a64 better? It depends what your using it for. It's up to him to look at the games available and see which ones he would prefer. Technically the x-box is superior. He may prefer the exclusive cube games though. The x-box has a lot of exclusive games too though.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Illuvatar wrote:
    also around here if you own a Gamecube you're labled queer and get the **** kicked out of you.

Sounds like a nice place to live :eek:

• Advertisement

Illuvatar wrote:
    Secondly, why would you recomend the PS2 as your second pick when you've had so many problems?

Because I love the games on it. CD based games really mess up the laser on the PS2. You will only really have trouble if you play games as much as me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

BloodBath wrote:
    Lol no I just hate these sort of threads. There is no right or wrong answer. It's like saying is the P4 or a64 better?

NOW NOW, the P4 is better by far, ROFL
    knwo what you mean man, and agree with you

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    where the fúck do you live? Lord Of The Flies Island?

Sadly, no. I live in Michigan in a very remote part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Illuvatar wrote:
    Sadly, no. I live in Michigan in a very remote part of it.

Ah that's it you see, there's only steers and queers live in Michigan.
    You got a pair of horns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

omg, well xbox is better technically no doubt about that, however with Xbox 2 or 360 or whatever its called just around the corner I would not bother wasthing money on the xbox 1, ps2 is cheap and has some brilliant games which are also heavely discounted, gamecube is better then both of em In my opinion but games are more expensive and much much less of them, there is only about a dozen worth buying that are exclusive and wyou will be constantly dissapointed witht the big games not coming out for it, gta? anyone (even thought they would be amazing).

Buy the PS2 God of war bundle when its out in June, if you must play KOTR and HAlo play it on the PC not xbox.

Oh wait I forgot about RE4 on the gamecube, thats reason enough to go with the cube imo, oh and metariod much better then halo any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

I prefare the PS2 Controller, Am I allowed to say that?? lol
    I even bought a converter so I can use PS2 controller with my Xbox, I do like the logitech xbox controller tho, much better. On a side note the PS2 controller is being used to control all of the lighting effects on U2's Vertigo tour, Looks like I'm not the only one who likes it. Also why did microsoft stop making the original xbox controller? because it was so easy to use?, The S was an improvement at best.

At the moment its a hard choice for me, without going into the back catalog, I started playing the Gamecube recently, Resident Evil 4 is amazing. On the Ps2 at the moment is God of War which is brilliant, then on the xbox theres Halo 2. I'd hate to have to choose 1, If I had to it would be a modded xbox.

Gilgamesh, I dont suppose you would be interested in a Viper GC for your Cube??
    Its sealed in the packets brand new. If you want it I could fit it for you.

GO AMD!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Slightly off topic (and forgive my ignorance) but what are the benefits of a modded xbox? I have a regular one, and I know that you can both softmod and hardmod it, but why? Why do I hear so much about modded xboxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Originally Posted by BloodBath Lol no I just hate these sort of threads

yup i agree

personally i prefer Salt and vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Elessar wrote:
    Slightly off topic (and forgive my ignorance) but what are the benefits of a modded xbox? I have a regular one, and I know that you can both softmod and hardmod it, but why? Why do I hear so much about modded xboxes?

An xbox can become a complete media centre when modded. You can stream video/music from your pc to watch on your TV, run games off the HDD (no need to change disc) and you can even get linux on it and use it as a web browser.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote:

You can play imported games for one. Then theres Xbox Media Centre, a download that you store on your harddrive, and that lets you play anything you can play on your PC on your Xbox, which is great when your Xbox is connected to a nice big television. The Xbox comes with a 4 gigabyte harddrive, which can store a lot, but if you have a chance I'd recommend getting a new harddrive put in. The great thing about that is, you can copy your entire Xbox library to your harddrive. Then you have a menu of all your favorite Xbox games, and you just scroll through them and pick one. Finished the game? Go back to the menu and pick another. No getting up, no finding the case, no scratching the DVD. The bigger the harddrive, the more games you can put on it. A standard game is 3 about gigs. I've never read about this, but I'm pretty sure that games load a lot faster when they're stored on the harddrive. Then theres emulators you can put on, and a load more other things because theres a great community on the internet for it.

You know, I have to wonder, why didn't Microsoft just embrace harddrive gaming? They could of fought piracy with some kind of advanced CD checking. I know it isn't that consumer friendly, but they should of at least given the option of a more expensive unit with a bigger harddrive. I think the two benefits of lightning fast loading times, and having a catalogue of 30 games accessible from just a controller alone would of been worth it.

Advertisement