Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Election Quiz

Options
  • 02-05-2005 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭

With the mods grace, I'd like people to try to get as many answers correct. Note my choice of words has been very specific. I'll post the answers (hopefully) on Thurdays night.

1. What is the maximum number of years there can be between general elections?

2. What is the third largest grouping in Parliament?

3. What geographical factor largely dictates likely Conservative seats?

4. Who leads the fourth largest party in the House of Commons?

5. What is the (edit: currently) oldest legislative assembly in the British Isles?

6. If the (theoretical) result on Friday is:
    Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40
    Who is Prime Minister on Saturday?

7. What is the voting age?

8. How many parliaments are there in the UK?

9. How many seats do the Conservative hold outside England?

10. What is the minimum age for candidates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

6?
    What is the third largest grouping in Parliament?

Lib Dems?

I don't know what this means.
    Who leads the fourth largest party in the House of Commons?

Plaid Cwybru?
    5. What is the oldest legislative assembly in the British Isles?

Scotland?
    Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40

Tony Blair.

Not sure about NI, but in Scotland and Wales I believe it's 0. So, I'll guess 0.

21?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

1. 5

2. Liberal Democrats

3. Rural

4. Alex Salmond

5. Scottish

6. Howard

7. 18

8. 4

9. 1

10. 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

what dub said except

5 the house of lords

6 blair as i would imagine the house of commons would not sit on saturday to elect a new pm howard would be pm elect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Victor wrote:
    With the mods grace, I'd like people to try to get as many answers correct. Note my choice of words has been very specific. I'll post the answers (hopefully) on Thurdays night.

LD

The england / scotland border.

Ian Paisley
    5. What is the (edit: currently) oldest legislative assembly in the British Isles?

Manx Parliament.
    Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40

Tony Blair.

Not very many at all.
    18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

1) 5
    2) Lib Dems
    3) Countryside
    4) Ian Paisley
    5) Isle Of Man
    6) Michael Howard
    7) 18
    8) 2
    9) 1
    10) 21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know a whole lot about this, but will give it a shot.

Lib Dems
    Proximity to London
    Nigel Farage
    The Tynwald
    Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40
    Michael Howard
    3 - Westminster, Isle of Man and Scotland. Wales had an assembly, NI's is dissolved.
    Under the name 'Conservative Party', none

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some interesting answers, not all right! Keep them coming?

I await sceptre's answers, but still wonder will he get them right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Victor wrote:
    I await sceptre's answers, but still wonder will he get them right. :D
    Doubt it but I'll pay my tuppence anyway, wanted to give others a go before I tossed in red herrings everywhere and got them wrong anyway.

However long parliament wants it to be. Since the Parliament Act of 1911 it's ben set at five years with an exception during WW2 where they knocked it up to ten. A simple Act of Parliament could keep Labour in power until they lose a bagload of by-elections some time in the next decade as no Act of a previous parliament can bind a future one. I'll go with "infinity" then.

May be a trick question ("Parliament as opposed to "Commons") but Liberal Democrats if it's just Commons. Plaid Cymru and the SNP make up the fourth-largest grouping. If near-200 Lords cross-benchers can be regarded as such as they're technically a grouping, it's them (if they count as an actual grouping there are about 180 of them compared to 50-odd LD Commmons members and 70-odd LD Lords members so they'd have 60ish more). (edit: I realise the Tories have under 170 MPs but they've barely got more Lords than Labour so they're still second)

I'll go for the cross-benchers just to be contrary.

Traditionally the Conservatives have done well in the beautiful south while Labour have done well in the harsh north and wet Scotland. It's a general rule that's stood while coal miners and dockers have changed sides and while working class inner city dwellers have voted for Thatcher and trendy yuppies have voted Blair. There's probably a more complicated answer involving people with over two thousand acres but I didn't really understand the question.

Ian Paisley

The Tynwald's been about since at least 979. Probably longer. One could make a case for the current Westminster parliament bring the natural successor of the Witenagemot through the curia regis but in any case there was some interrupted service there. I'm assuming "continuous".

Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40

Whoever the Queen chooses to invite for tea, crumpets and hand-kissing on Friday. UK Prime Ministers are invited/appointed to form the monarch's government, not elected. Blair would have resigned by then (probably - Heath didn't when he lost the 74 election) but she could invite anyone from the Commons or Lords (Alec Douglas-Home resigned from the Lords to become PM in 63) she reckons will have the support of a majority in parliamentand be able to maintain that support. If she doesn't invite anyone to tea until Monday and Tony's resigned there isn't anyone on Saturday AFAIK, I've no idea whether he gets to do a Haughey'89 in the interim or not. For practical purposes, Michael Howard would be polishing his head and practising his conversation over a cup of Assam. Theoretically Tony could ask for a dissolution ten minutes after losing the election but the Lascelles Principles would come into play and Liz mign't want him for tea any more then. Note to Howard: you're not actually required to kiss her hands these days. She got embarrassed when a few people didn't know that.

Short answer: anyone with good support as long as the Queen likes the cut of their jib depending on when the invite comes.

18. You can register when you're 16 but don't get to spoil your vote till you're 18.

Two. The UK one and the Scottish one. Wales and Northern Ireland both have assemblies, with permanent holidays for one of those lately.

Three if you choose to recognise the Cornish Stannary Parliament - the office of Stannator is apparently recognised and the parliament has the right to veto any Westminster legislation under Henry VII's Charter of Pardon but the current supposedly revived parliament is not and has not as it needs to be a local parliament elected by local people of the Stannary Towns according to the Home Office IIRC. Two then unless you wanted three and if I guessed the third correctly. The Isle of Man isn't part of the UK, nor are the Channel Islands.

It's just Peter Duncan in Galloway and Upper whatsit, innit? Obviously Duncan is chair of the Scottish Con and Un Party but he's still signs in with a regular blue pen. The SNP are preparing to hire a bus to carry 75 extra people to the ballots so it might be a solid zero again by the weekend.

21 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Sceptre I salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Anyone can come up with that having nearly 22 hours to research it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Anyone can come up with that having nearly 22 hours to research it :D

banned. How dare you have the temerity to besmirch a mods good name.

We finished with this thread? Victor you can respond to clarify the correct answers if you wish. Otherwise thread getting locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Offically there is no fixed term, but the Parliament Act of 1911 unoffically fixed the term at 5 years. This has been extended to 10 and 7 at various times (10 years during WW2).

Lib Dems with 54 seats

Not quite sure what you mean. Prox to London?

Alex Salmond

Isle of Man

Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40

Howard

2, the UK Parliamnet and the Scotish Parliament. Wales and N.I have assemblies.

None

10. What is the minimum age for candidates?[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cece1986

ANS:legally 5 but they mostly go at four although in 1997 it had been 5 years since the last election
    ANS:liberal democrats
    ANS:rural areas
    ANS:alex samond of the SNP?
    ANS:the house of lords
    Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40
    Micheal howard
    2 but with 2 assemblies wgen the ni one is working and not on sick leave
    very few 1
    _______21___________

uberwolf wrote:
    We finished with this thread? Victor you can respond to clarify the correct answers if you wish. Otherwise thread getting locked.
    Ah, bah humbug! Can we run it until Thursday night?

And Sceptre is in the running. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

uberwolf wrote:
    a mods good name.
    Mine? You must be kidding.

AdiG, I'd have thought you were around here long enough to notice that generally I'm too lazy to look up anything unless idiocy annoys me. I did look up the spelling of Witenagemot, though I was tempted to pop in Wizengamot to see if any Harry Potter fans read the board. Besides, judging by Victor, the perfect score still has to be achieved unless the ubermod feels strongly about locking it (in the absence of abuse, I try not to make mod decisions about threads I've participated in).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Victor wrote:

And Sceptre is in the running.

am I to take it that he's not on 10/10 so? Cos I was only closing it on the premise that he'd got them all right, and seeing as I'd spammed the thread I had to make it look like I meant business :p

Sceptre - you're fired, showing the team up like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The leader of the fourth largest party, thanks to Jeffery Donaldson is the Rev. Ian Paisley. The DUP have six MP's as opposed to the UUP's five and SNP's four.

The law is currently 5 years plus the time to organize the new parliament (in 1918 this took 52 days), so my answer is 5+ years. Reference to wars, etc. are largely irrelevant, the basic statute is the Septennial Act 1715.

In practice it has been somewhat less than 5 years recently to allow a particular date be picked, but that is merely a matter of convenience and for tactical considerations.

Page 10 http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/rp2004/rp04-038.pdf

"Grouping" and "Parliament" were picked deliberately here and the answer is the Cross Benchers. The Cross Benchers are independent members of the House of Lords who cooperate in administrative issues, but vote independently.

http://www.crossbenchpeers.org.uk/

Conservative seats are largely rural and almost exclusively in England (excluding Cornwall ;)). The North / South argument doesn’t quite hold water within England.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005/flash_map/html/map01.stm

Ian Paisley, MP. "Party" was chosen deliberately.

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hcio/stateparties.cfm

Scottish National Party and Plaid Cymru are listed together, but this seem to be out of tactical strategy / cooperation. They are separate parties.

"British Isles" was chosen deliberately. My answer is the Tynwald. Probably longer. While Westminster may be the natural successor of the Witenagemot / Curia Regis, there is no continuity – they are separate. Note: the Channel Islands also have several parliaments, but the islands are not part of the UK, they are crown dependencies.

Labour - 206
    Conservative - 350
    Liberal Democrat - 50
    Others & Independent -40

Howard. An outright majority makes one PM immediately, without a vote. If “Mrs. Windsor” had anything else in mind (with an outright majority), there would have been trouble (in my hypothetical situation). A minority government would need to be voted on (and involve crumpets :D).

Two. Westminster and Holyrood.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/home.htm
    http://www.parliament.uk/
    http://www.welsh.parliament.uk/ One of those little internet jokes (think really hard).
    http://www.parliament.uk/home.htm One of those little internet jokes. (think less hard)

One. Dumfries and Galloway, Southern Scotland. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005/flash_map/html/map01.stm

RagShagBill	2.0
    A Dub in Glasgo	4.8
    cdebru 		2.8 (3.8 less one penalty point for copying 2.8)
    pete		4.5
    shedseven 	9.7
    pickarooney	5.0 (Q9 didn't help :D)
    sceptre		8.5
    aodh_rua	-
    uberwolf	Boo! Hiss!
    Wicknight	5.9
    cece1986	6.9
    Raskolnikov	1.0

shedseven is teh win! :D

Advertisement