Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What a player!!!

• 02-05-2005 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

That Murphy guy is amazing. Thats some of the best snooker I have seen that can shape up to Ronnie. That was great stuff.

And to top it all of, he has the composure and personality to top Ronnie.

Amazing stuff!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah he certainly deserved that win. Some top class snooker played there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

A worthy champion and such a nice guy to boot. Very impressed with his post match interview. Very gracious and had some well chosen words. Best of luck to him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I had a 25 euro on him before the semi-final, every tricky shot I was shouting for him to just play it safe but he never listened. Some of the best pots I have seen under huge pressure. I think he was the only player in the world who would have taken on the red with the rest. Even when he won it he didn't bat an eyelid. Incredible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Crazy match, it still seemed to be any mans game up until that last frame.
    I bet that missed red will haunt Stephens for a while. :eek:
    Ah well, I guess you can't really feel sorry for either of them, going home with those fat cheques!
    gg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

That was some pot on the black along the cushion and the yellow near the very end, it was as if he was practising at home, crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

A worthy champion and such a nice guy to boot. Very impressed with his post match interview. Very gracious and had some well chosen words. Best of luck to him!!

have to agree he seems to have the whole package when it comes to his composure, i noticed in his interview after his match with ebdon that he was a very good speaker, good under pressure and very calm, but to keep on going into the final the way he did was unbelievable.

He clearly has a very bright future ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Gotta agree quality player, how many will he win ? .... To be honest tho i wanted stevens to win, but mabye next year..

When he potted the pink along the cushion that was a shot and a half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Superb player, best final performance by 2 players in years.

You have to feel really sorry for Ian McCulloch though. He got to the semi's and had his top 16 place secured. He now has to still qualify next year because Murphy takes his place. Murphy was 48th before the World Championships. :eek:

How far back are his Irish links btw? His fathers name is Tony Murphy, pretty Irish sounding name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Delighted for him, was rooting for Matthew during the match, but it's a fully deserved win, lets face it he beat 3 former world champs on the way (Higgins, Davis & Ebdon).

The ranking system is really going to be messed up now though, as he is still not a top 16 player (Now 21), yet he will automatically be a seed for all ranking tourneys. So poor Ian McCulloch who has now reached no. 16 will not have his automatic status into ranking events. Gotta hate that. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Rankings for the new season are here BTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A great player indeed , the clearance he made of 80 when it looked like Stevens had pretty much wrapped up the frame was amazing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

matthew stevens was such a cholker, the new jimmy white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

the jew wrote:
    I thought he played well tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Aaron M

the jew wrote:
    Matthew Stevens a choker ? I don't think so. Shots can be missed by any player in high pressure situations. No shame or disgrace in losing a match to the better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Aaron M wrote:
    Matthew Stevens a choker ? I don't think so. Shots can be missed by any player in high pressure situations. No shame or disgrace in losing a match to the better player.
    fair enough pressure will get to you but some players can handle it and some can't. all day yesterday everytime stevens had a good chance to win the frame at one visit i was thinkin, when is gonna f*ck up, and everytime bar twice he did. the last frame that murphy won was after stevens missing an easy pot, although all credit to murphy for holding himself together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gusyf

py2006 wrote:
    That Murphy guy is amazing. Thats some of the best snooker I have seen that can shape up to Ronnie. That was great stuff.

And to top it all of, he has the composure and personality to top Ronnie.

Amazing stuff!
    I had him down to win it at the beginning but never placed a bet on it in the bookies, id be loaded right now :mad:

Advertisement