Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use the search function!

• 02-05-2005 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭

As you may have noticed, alot of threads are being locked. This is mostly because the topic has been covered in detail in the past. Use the seach to see if anything has been posted on a similar topic before posting, or even look through the pages of the forum.

There are alot of posts in Broadband and to make sure the place doesn't get cluttered threads need to be locked or moved to stop posts from getting segmented in the different threads which cover the same thing. This helps people who are looking for information as there isn't dozens of similar threads to look through.

It takes less effort to search than it does to type out a whole post only to find it's been done before.

Cheers :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

[irony]
    Giblet, this topic has been covered in detail in the past: here and here and here and even here !!! :D
    [/irony]
    I think Moriarty can speak for us all and change his sig to: "OUR patience for humanity is dwindling." ;)

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Off with their heads!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251914 is a perfect example of someone who search search the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Cabaal wrote:
    Off with their heads!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251914 is a perfect example of someone who search search the forum

Hmmm...... given that you still can't search (as far as I can see) for words of 3 letters or less, IOL BB CAP won't return many hits for you.

Ditto UTV.

For a TLA ridden area like 'computers', surely being able to search for 3 letter words would be a welcome change?.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ArthurG wrote:
    Hmmm...... given that you still can't search (as far as I can see) for words of 3 letters or less, IOL BB CAP won't return many hits for you.

Very good point, you can now search boards using google.

Just type:

"site:boards.ie your search words"

in google and it will also work with short words.

On another vBulletin board I noticed that they have added google search to the search drop down menu, very handy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ArthurG wrote:

Maybe so, but a quick look through the first 1, 2 or 3 pages of the Broadband forum properly would have given the results that were required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hah, yes this has been posted before, but I think by now it deserves its own thread.

BTW search IOLBB ;)

Shortening the minimum search string to 3 letters would kill the servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Maybe you should sticky this thread for a few weeks so people will remember.

I like to leave it in general circulation first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you want short searches:

http://members.boards.ie/seamus/search.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Morons, ted. They're everywhere.

• Advertisement

Lies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ArthurG wrote:

Ditto UTV.

For a TLA ridden area like 'computers', surely being able to search for 3 letter words would be a welcome change?.

If you use an * it will return results. e.g. iol* cap* (BB still to short)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

How about repling to all those posts with a simple http://justf*uckinggoogleit.com/

:D

Moriarty wrote:
    Morons, ted. They're everywhere.

Be nice now will ya? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Infini, watch you language - see point number 2 here :D
    Even if it is self-newbiefication. Anyway you count as an old timer with that many posts ;)

causal

causal wrote:
    Infini, watch you language - see point number 2 here :D
    Even if it is self-newbiefication. Anyway you count as an old timer with that many posts ;)

causal

Whoops. Must've missed that post! :o

Advertisement