Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Eircom to BT & Blueface

Options
  • 03-05-2005 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I want to get rid of Eircom BB/Phone and change over to BT Broadband. I then want to sign up for Blueface VoIP - If I'm using VoIP I will no longer need to be paying line rental. I need to keep my current Eircom phone number.

What would be the best procedure for getting my current DSL service changed to BT and having the line unbundled so I'm only paying for DSL, but also having my current Eircom landline number ported to Blueface?

Is it possible? Has anybody done this before?

Any advice would be great,

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

If you want to use DSL then you need a phoneline (DSL works on phonelines).
    With BT Ireland you still pay a minimum of €10 line rental per month.

If you want to avoid line rental then you need to be one of the first 100,000 Smart Telecom customers, or go with a non-DSL bb provider like cable with NTL or wireless with Irish Broadband.
    N.B. You can still use blueface VoIP with any of the above providers.

But I'm not sure if you can have your phoneline changed to a data line only (i.e. no voice), or whether you still have to pay line rental for a data only line.

Porting your number from eircom to blueface usually takes 2-4 weeks; just make sure the port goes through BEFORE you cancel your eircom account.

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

causal wrote:
    But I'm not sure if you can have your phoneline changed to a data line only (i.e. no voice), or whether you still have to pay line rental for a data only line.
    hth,
    causal

I think you can if you're in an exchange that Esat have unbundled, or effectively one that Smart are about to do. I mean, you *can* use the unbundled Smart line, but you don't have to: you're not paying line rental for it.

ruairi

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zenith wrote:
    I think you can if you're in an exchange that Esat have unbundled, or effectively one that Smart are about to do. I mean, you *can* use the unbundled Smart line, but you don't have to: you're not paying line rental for it.

ruairi

You definatly can if your on a Esat unbundled exchange but I think it applys to Business products only (I could be wrong),

Not sure if Smart offer the same setup, it would be good if they could imho

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, if you go for the BT business Broadband (from may 31st) you can have it without a phoneline.

this is what I got back from someone at BT Business sales when I enquired:
    In relation to broadband here is the following offers, connect as many people as you wish, static IP address included, no restrictions on download limit, use phone while online:

1MB/256K @ €45.00 per month no installation charge
    2MB/256K @ €87.50 per month no installation charge

Approx 25 day lead-time on installation at the moment. If you take our Line Rental and Voice from BT and your bills are over €190 per month you will receive a €35.00 credit against your broadband selection for 12 months. Your number is not coming up in any of our exchanges so it looks like we can't offer you broadband until after the 31st May.

Advertisement