Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moldy wall

• 03-05-2005 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

The loo in my (rented) place gets no air and has that black mold all over the walls.
    It smells like a mushroom in the place.
    I attacked it yesterday with a large sponge and Domestos/water and it helped to a degree but ultimately, that mold has been growing a long time and it won't shift.
    Seems to only grow on the painted walls not on any tiles, floor or other bits in the room.
    The paint is fecked anyway and is peeling away in some places.
    I wonder can anybody recommend something, like some sort of fungicide spray bottle would be handy. Or maybe I should just paint over it although obviously if the existing paint is peeling, painting over it isn't going to help.
    I suppose i could try and do a proper job: scrape the walls then paint (maybe add a fungicide to the paint) but sure i'm only renting. The landlord doesn't care what i do to the place, nor is he bothered to fix this problem himself.

I only don't like the look of the place and smell. Don't really care if the problem is remedied long term.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres a problem with damp that causing this. Paint over with an oil based paint will help. But its not fixing the cause of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Theres a problem with damp that causing this. Paint over with an oil based paint will help. But its not fixing the cause of the problem.
    Yes i know the source, it's the shower. After u run it, the water beads on the walls and because the room gets no air, it doesn't really get a chance to dry out. But the floor, ceiling, sink, loo are surfaces that for whatever reason the mold doesn't take hold, just the painted walls.
    Maybe an oil based paint would do the job, at least while i live there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

had a similar issue like that once in a place I lived, found that bleach actually did the trick, just make sure not to get it on you.

get a tissue or a cloth, and stick a bit of bleah on it and work it in to the area, then you will have to leave it for about two days and it will kill off just about everything mold like in that wall, and stop it spreading for the start, then as Ricardo said, get some oil based paint and go over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

First you tacle the cause by putting in a permanent vent, then you establish if you have mildew or mold, they are different.

Also make sure you don't have rising damp, is the wall dry lined ? if it is the plaster board might be soaked.

A lot of the mold is the dirt in the air sticking to the damp surface, that could be why your tiles and ceramic finishes are easy to clean, while the walls may have been painted with standard emulsion instead of vinyl silk or eggshell finish.

Advertisement