Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 03-05-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to put your Health Insurance through your company as an expense? Like when you go for an interview and the employer tells you one of the benefits is a Health Insurance plan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

Most likely, no. Depends on whether the company offers health insurance as a "benefit" or not. If so, yes. If not, most companies at least enable you to pay for your VHI/Bupa along with your wages but it will come out of your own pocket. That's my experience anyway. There are so many companies out there that do not even consider their employees' health insurance needs and you would have workers five or 10 years into their careers before they sign up for health insurance, often on their own bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are talking about the tax treatment? You get relief at the 20 percent rate.

Why would it be the company's social or moral obligation to provide health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yes I'm talking about the tax treatment. Sorry, I should have mentioned it's because I'm set-up as a sole trader and obviously the more (legal) expenses I put through the books the more tax relief I can claim.

As those of you who are sole traders will already know, there are some things you can, and some you can't, put down as expenses. I just thought that Health Insurance might be an expense you can put down on your VAT3 form?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the company can pay for PHI (permanent health insurance) for you as a company expense, these schemes are run by insurance companies and basically pay your wages if you out sick after an inital 6 week period.

there is no vat on it though

http://money.msn.co.uk/Bank_Plan/insurance/Guides/Basics/005008/default.asp

BUPA/VHI paid by the company on your behalf is taxable as BIK though. No vat here either

Advertisement