Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 1.1

Options
  • 03-05-2005 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Guys - I'm going into 4th year of my degree (BSc Comp Science) in September and really need a 1.1 result for the postgraduate course I want to do - I was wondering could anyone tell me where I might find statistics on what percentage of the final year students get a 1.1 , 2.1 , 2.2 etc (which will hopefully give me an indication of how much effort will be required) for Computer Science degree courses (not specific to DIT, - UCD, TCD, DCU, etc)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't have stats, i just know that 1.1's are RARE :) I'd be delighted to get a 2.1 myself when I finish my degree this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'd need to do a LOT of work. A LOT.

If you've a fourth year project eating up your time then you'll find it about 10 times harder to get the same result as in previous years.

What college are you going to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm in DIT - I know what you're saying about the final year project, but I already know exactly what I'm going to do for it, and what languages/software/etc I'm going to use.. which gives me a bit of a headstart or so I hear..

One of my lecturers told us there were some students that still hadn't decided what they wanted to do by November!

Also - is it true to get a 1.1 you need an average of over 70%, and a 2.1 is an average of over 60%? If that's the case then surely there's not that much difference in workload/effort between a 1.1 and 2.1

Yeah a lot of people don't start until later in the year. But the assessment of fourth year projects can vary wildly. Some people get relatively easy ones that they can start in November and not spend too much time on (damn website brigade).

Do you have your supervisor yet and do you know if he's easy going/slavedriver? Also make sure you start writing your report from day 1 and if anything at all about writing the project gives you headwreck, then put it in the report. Even if they tell you it's not a documentation project. 40 pages will be the minimum for a report, it's a right balls when you get landed with it at the end of the year and can't remember half of what you did.

Don't have the supervisor yet no, in my college we can choose our own projects so long as they get approved by the supervisors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes, a 1.1 is over 70%, but there is no real pattern to how they're awarded in my experience. Some courses will only hand out a certain percentage and that is that.

Then some courses will give them when they are due, for instance in my class (Physics in UCC), 5 out of 8 got 1Hs. In other words, over 50%, that would skew anyones statistics, but I think to deny any of us who got one would have been grossly unfair.

So lets hope, that when you do the work, you will get the 1.1 you deserve, and not be scre*ed over by the bell curve system

Yes, a 1.1 is over 70%

A 1H is over 70%. There's no such thing as a 1.1 (if there was, it would probably be over 85%/over 90%).

Thanks all for the replies
    (However I am even more confused now than before I started this thread!!)

Just do your best :p And cut back part-time hours to about 4 or 5 if you're working.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What postgrad is looking for the 1.1, normally its a 2.1 or better?

I got a 2.1 my project brought my average way up. If you really want a 1.1 you will have to work your ass off for the year. Do you know what your current average is and if the subjects are weighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Rew wrote:
    my project brought my average way up

Same with me. I did the MSc. in Griffith and it was the project that got the H1 for me.

Instead of looking for statistics on who gets what, how about working out your own statistics? For example, my project was worth 40% of the overall mark. So, in the other 60% (i.e. exams) I needed to be averaging above 70%.

Common sense will tell you that won't be possible in all subjects, so focus on the subjects you are good at and do what you can on the others.

This might give you a better idea what to concentrate on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its funny my research Msc isn't graded at all I will either get it or I wont. Always thought that it was odd when compared to the taught ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I was only 3% off a 1:1 and I'm a dumb ****, so it can't be that hard ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Repli wrote:
    Also - is it true to get a 1.1 you need an average of over 70%, and a 2.1 is an average of over 60%? If that's the case then surely there's not that much difference in workload/effort between a 1.1 and 2.1

That should be the case but it's probably not. In DCU anyway I get the impression that they are very reluctant to give a 1:1 out to a student assignment let alone a final project.

That said, hard grind always pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Repli:
    Guys - I'm going into 4th year of my degree (BSc Comp Science) in September and really need a 1.1 result for the postgraduate course I want to do
    Which postgraguate course are you looking to get into?

I want to get into the HDipPsych (Higher Diploma in Psychology) course in either UCD, or TCD - there are only 12 places in each per year. I have emailed both colleges about their courses and both have said the main criteria for entry is your primary undergraduate degree result..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lump wrote:
    I was only 3% off a 1:1 and I'm a dumb ****, so it can't be that hard ;)

John

Yeah but you did a course with no exams :p

Meh!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Getting a 1.1 or 1H, whatever you want to call it its >69 isn't THAT hard. I know a load of people who have gotten one and it's possible that i might get one this year yet...first exam tomorrow though! Anyway i'd be happy with a 2.1 but if you want a 1.1 it all hinges on your project.

I like you got an early start on mine only for it to be turned down by 2 supervisors. Anyway i picked a new project and it had the qualitites a first class project needed...good research background (vehicle dynamics) new technology (JOGL - Java bindings for the OpenGL Api) and old stuff i could show off with (Java Swing for menu system etc).

If you get a project that incorporates those things you'll get your first. As was said above though your report is as important as code!

Anyway back to study...but a 1.1 isn't THAT hard to get. I've put in feck all work all year and will get a 2.1 at the very least.

Farlz

And stephen just cause I jumped ship to the UK and took a course that was a year shorter and contained no exams makes me rather clever I think ;)

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement