Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best 3in1 to buy or buggy

Options
  • 03-05-2005 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

Baby on the way buggys have changed alot since my first, in parents or mothers eyes what is the best buggy easiest to lift easy to use easy on the pocket price isnt an issue but if someone could help id be geatfull

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

3 in 1s are novelty rubbish.

McLaren buggy is your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

I agree, there's a reason that McClaren buggies are every where, they are light and sturdy and you can put a new born in them

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

plus they fold up really small... you need a small truck to stick the 3 in one into even when its folded...

Big wheel 3 wheel buggies are a pain to steer, but easier for 'off road' walks.

I have a maclaren... the hood is annoyingly fragile, and permanently bends if you leave it in the hot car... but everything else is great. You need a new hood if you get it bent, because the rain gear wont fit anymore. Cost i think 26 euro to replace... I bought it originally because i was going away on holidays and needed something sturdy and comfortable that would fold up small. Other problem with it is there's really nowhere to put the shopping.

Fox_in_Socks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

magpie wrote:
    3 in 1s are novelty rubbish.

McLaren buggy is your best option.

said by a man no doubt...tight git.

You dont have to spend a fortune on a 3 in one, but if you love your wife, get one. Once the baby goes into the car seat part, it enables the baby to be transported from house, to car, to shop, back to car, back to house all the while it still sleeps (if your lucky!)

Babies love car seats

.. nothing against the mclaren etc. those buggies are for later in the childs life. the 3 in 1 is for the first 6 months. (at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Ok, i'll admit, the 3 in 1 was great when Hannah was a newborn... Taking her in and out of the car without having to unstrap and lift her was great... And she slept in the pram part for the first few weeks... However, it had limited use after that... The 'buggy' part was very sturdy, but very very heavy, and like i said, was huge even when folded.

Actually, if you have the money, buy both!

Fox_in_Socks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

have a look at the mamas n papas 3n1, there not the cheapest but very strong and built to last, we got a mclaren double buggy for our 2nd babby and it doesnt even get close to the mama n papas

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

We have spent literally months looking at different options of 3-in-1 versus seperate for our first child due in a few months.

It is bloody ridiculous the options that you have. Bloody different chasis's for different terrains, different types of suspension, puncture proof tyres, different types of braking mechanisms. I was going to ask what the 0-60 was in one shop as they reeled off their sales pitch.

We eventually bought a bébcar (I believe it was 4-in-1 with an extra carrycot)

Some things that influenced our decision. (mostly advice from recent new parents)

1. First few months, baby should be on back as much as possible - due to neck muscles strengthening. So not the best to have baby in a car seat or upright buggy type thing all day long.

2. Handy to have the choice of rear or front facing when in pram. The one we chose is reversable. So can chose whether you want baby facing you or looking out into the world.

3. As mentioned above - Handy to be able transfer baby from car to pram without disturbing baby too much. ie detachable car seat that fits onto pram chasis so you dont have to carry from car seat, to buggy, to moses basket/babycot.

4. Whether pram fits into our ever so compact car - (it does with the wheels off !!)

5. Got a three wheeler (bigger wheels) as plan to do lots of walking and very little dodging around the shops and feels alot smoother than the 4 wheeler with small wheels (which are supposed to better for towns)

Good luck with decisions anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vamp IRL

yankinlk wrote:
    said by a man no doubt...tight git.

You dont have to spend a fortune on a 3 in one, but if you love your wife, get one. Once the baby goes into the car seat part, it enables the baby to be transported from house, to car, to shop, back to car, back to house all the while it still sleeps (if your lucky!)

Babies love car seats

.. nothing against the mclaren etc. those buggies are for later in the childs life. the 3 in 1 is for the first 6 months. (at least)

have to agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

btw - anyone expecting their second kid and already has a toddler can i recommend the Phil & Ted's E3 buggy. Its a three wheeler that reclines flat for the baby and there is an extra seat that clips on top for the toddler - much better than normal double buggies. Plus when the baby is older it can be setup with the extra seat on the back so the younger one can sit up (in a sort of double-decker style)

its very ingenious and easy to push (though the flipside is its rather expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

If you are Dublin based - there is a shop in Walkinstown (I think) called Tony Keadys or Tony Keilys (Sorry for the vagueness - hopefully other parents can help with the name and location).

They have a demonstration evening every now & again which we found really helpful. They explain the pros & cons of every type of pushchair, buggy and pram. We learned a lot from the evening. The staff were lovely.

The evening was not a hard sell evening but was very informative for new parents-to-be as we were then.

Best of Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement