Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sale / purchase disaster!

Options
  • 03-05-2005 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys, am in a dreaded buying/selling house chain, and it looks like the chain is going to collapse after 8 weeks of hard slog (through no fault of mine). I've paid for a survey and will be charged for banks valuation of the house i wanted to purchase, but I don't know where I stand regarding solicitors fees (my solicitor has been very little help throughout, so I don't to approach him about this untill I have some info. on the subject, ie. don't want to get ripped off). Has anyone one else been in this predicament?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I lost money while trying to buy a house before. While we were getting the surveyors report done it turned out the toilet was on the neighbours land! Wouldn't reduce the price of the house or sort out the legal issues on the land deeds. As we tried to sort out the whole issue the lawyer cost more. Eventually lost £1300. Apparently the estate agents are meant to check the person can sell the property beforehand so could have sued them but just wrote off the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

All depends on your individual situation. Is the property you are buying new, have you paid a deposit, have land registry searches been carried out to establish legal ownership, has a declaration been isued by engineer/architect confirming site boundries, has a statutory declaration of compliance with planning permission been granted (if applicable),
    Depending on the lending company, the survey may well be built in as part of the mortgage.
    Never be afraid to ask your solicitor. Always put it in writing and insist on getting a writen reply from your legal eagle or sparrow.

There are a lot of factors and as i said the amount of costs will depend on what you are buying and if the deal falls through you must determine as to where the fault for this lies and what costs you are liable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why did the chain collapse?

Did someone over-extend themselves? If so, it's not the solicitors problem.

Did the solicitor find something that compromised the property? If so he has saved you a lot of money, pay him.

Has the solictor done his work, if so pay him.

If he has only done part of his work, agree a reduced fee.

If he has only held the brief and not done any work, pay him when you do buy a house.

Advertisement