Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COM + Registration Failed

Options
  • 03-05-2005 12:48pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Platform Win 2k Professional
    SP 4
    New installation of Win 2k, instaled VB 6. .NET 2003, Framework 1.1

We have VC++ Dll's, when I go to the Component Services Manager, COM+
    Applications, NEW, add empty Application, Server Application, Interactive
    User, Finish.

Go to components, NEW, Install New Component, Find the DLL, Press Open,
    Next, Finish, then get error message.

"The Component DLL's self registration routine failed. The DllRegisterServer
    function failed or the routine did not register the component"

I have checked and the user I am logged in as is in the Administrator
    Groups, I have run an update and have downloaded all Updates for Win 2k.

Has anyone come up with anything like this before?? I have googled it, tryed teh suggestions, but no joy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

This will seem like a really basic question, but are you sure the VC++ dll's are COM+ dlls? Do they have the COM interfaces? If you use regsrv32.exe at the command line with the dll's what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

are the dlls dependant on anothere dll that has not yet been registered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

I agree, most likely missing dependancies. If you build using VS2003 you'll need to ensure you also deploy MSVCRT71.DLL etc. Run Depends.exe on your Win2000 machine to check for whats missing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads

Thanks for your response, after miles of googling the answer was down to permissions when adding object to COM Catalog.

I had to download a program called Regmon, this analysed any activity that was happening with the registry so that I could trap the registering of the new object in COM, I noticed an access denied error in the program on one reg key, I then went to regedt32 and found the key and had to set the permissions to full control for my user and the admin and sure enough it worked!

Many thanks

Advertisement