Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos AV480

• 03-05-2005 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

I got this last and i really like but i still havent figured how to get your ripped movies onto it.i can record off the tv but the quality is lower.does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

According to the Archos website (http://www.archos.com/support/faq/faq_AV400.html), the player should just show up as a new drive in Windows Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 meduza

It is a really cool and entertaining gadget, i have AV400 and i'm really satisfied.
    It should come up as Jukebox in my computer whenever you plug it in, no drivers needed for win xp. and you can load it with Xvid and divx video files which is brilliant.
    You should be able to increase the recording quality, just have to alter few settings in system.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i don't see a point starting a new one since it's the same product, same title blah blah.....
    I got one of the AV400s last week and i have noticed fractures in the plastic part of the casing at the top and bottom of the unit. I didn't drop it or anything and i have noticed references to similar problems on the net. Apparently if you transfer lots of files to the unit (like i do) it gets hot and the plastic starts to fracture. One guy managed to put his thumb through the top of the unit when he lifted it out of the cradle! :eek:
    It's not a good sign after just a week from a 500+ euro gadget. :mad:
    I'm considering getting my money back but I hate the hassle of returns to online companies.
    Has anyone else noticed such a problem with their AV400 series?
    Does anyone have experience of returns to blokesstuff.co.uk?

Any help would be great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got an Archos AV400 and it does just open as an external drive on connection with the USB cable.

But it's pretty picky about resolutions and frames per seconds. Won't accept just any oul resolution in videos. Will only accept VCD / SVCD compliant videos such as 25fps 320 X 240 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Leprachaun wrote:
    I got this last and i really like but i still havent figured how to get your ripped movies onto it.i can record off the tv but the quality is lower.does anyone have any ideas?
    There's a free proggie available that I assumed was shipped with all Archos units, it's called virtualdub, it will convert the video files to conform with the Archos os. here's the link. http://www.virtualdub.org it's gnu. I have used it many times with good results. You should be able to get good quality video from tv rips by the way. Just read the documantation that came with the Archos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

I bought a 440 a few months ago and its been running great. Im mostly run it as a pvr.
    The recording quality can be set up at max picture size 512x384, 385kbps which is an acceptable quality. As was said before, read the documentation. The options to set up recording quality are straight forward.
    Also make sure you have the latest firmware. The biggest difference with the latest revision is that it will now happily play divx files with vbr audio.

As for getting movies onto it there are many ways of doing this.
    VirtualDub is fantastic with many options to edit and tweak video output.
    For converting a dvd you own to divx google autogk.
    Another app for hassle free converting various video eg mpg avi etc check out pocketdivx. It even has an inbuilt profile for the av400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

thanks.does virtual dub convert any files to avi(divx)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Yes it does.. not sure about the divx thing but deffo avi

Advertisement