Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict houses

Options
  • 03-05-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

My uncle was thinking of buying one of the derelict properties dotted around Dublin cause he thinks it will be cheaper than buying one fully renovated. Anyway, how the hell to you find out who owns them so he can make an offer?? Is it the cor-po?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

he doesnt know much about land then does he? property seldom changes hands, usually only 2 reason death and debts. look at your parents house say, do u ever think it will be sold or will a family member move in? a particular property might change hands on average once every 50 years. i would love to see what the real figure is, i doubt if i am far off though.

incidentally there is one for sale in kinegad at 200000 grand.needs demolition i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I don't know if you can fairly say that property stays in the hands of family. There is a lot of property in older areas that is occupied by people who have no connection to previous residents.
    Derilict houses are a bit risky to buy and do nothing with. In theory the local council can cliam ownership of derelict buildings. In reality it takes them a while to do it but if it comes to their attention they can do it quickly just look at the case with O'Connel Street.
    The land register is the place to check who is the last registerd home owner. Sometimes they still own the property but rarely are. It is a good way to get started. Normally it turns out the last owner is dead and family couldn't be found. If that't the case you need the local council to claim ownership. If they plan to sell it they take bids with proposals on how you plan to develop it. THey decide who has the best plan and money and sell it to them.
    If the owner is registerd and still alive the chances are they know the value of the property,have plans or just holding onto it untill it is worth more.
    There is potential for money to be made but it's not as easy as you may have thought and certainly not risk free.
    THe best way is to check what land is being sold by the Dublin City Council (Corpo no longer exists). Failing that ask the locals sometimes they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The land register is the best place to start looking.

I don't agree with the notion that land is just "forgotten about" in Dublin. Not anymore its not. It was extremely common for owners to deliberately sit on derelict sites in the 1970s and 80s in Dublin until the market picked up enough for them to be profitable to sell or develop. Any remaining derelict sites usually have something already earmarked, are having trouble getting planning permission, or there is some structural problem with the site.

Now Cork might be a better place to look. Half of Cork is falling down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Purchasing derelict houses is becoming extremely popular especially in areas of the country where planning for a site may be hard to come by (Louth, Meath, Wicklow, Galway etc).

From cases I've seen, there are a couple of issues with this approach. One is that due to the difficulties with setting a budget for the renovation of such a property, banks are none-too-keen on lending money for such a project.

The other is with planning - people have purchased derelict homes in the belief that it is a surefire way of obtaining planning. I'm not so sure if this is the case but have no data to confirm or disprove this theory.

Would be interesting to hear the experiences of some people who have purchased derelict properties with this in mind..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

paulocon wrote:
    People have purchased derelict homes in the belief that it is a surefire way of obtaining planning. I'm not so sure if this is the case but have no data to confirm or disprove this theory.

In rural areas .

Not at all in a National Park unless the project is pre approved by the National Park body.
    Dubious in a SAC area , again you need pre approval from the National Park body (its not an taisce but a government equivalent)
    Otherwise yes. You normally get planning permission as long as it has a roof.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

lomb wrote:
    incidentally there is one for sale in kinegad at 200000 grand.
    But that's 200 million :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lomb wrote:

incidentally there is one for sale in kinegad at 200000 grand.needs demolition i believe.

and people say there's no property bubble,

200,000 for a house so you can knock it down LOL

Advertisement