Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting A Dog From the ISPCA

Options
  • 03-05-2005 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

im just wondering about getting a dog from the ispca (well probably the gspca as i live in Galway). am just curious to know what the proceedure is? do they come out and inspect the home and see where the dog will sleep, walk etc?

we lost or dog there last year and its only now that my dad has suggested gettting another one for the house. he's on his own at the house as im in college and i just want to get things sorted for him. i would like to give a dog a good home and thats why i wanna go to the gspca.

has anyone here got one from them before?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hiya, You will be homechecked & they will decide if you are a good enough home.

There is a load of info & loads of doggies that need forever homes on www.irishanimals.ie

I have not rescued from the ISPCA but I have taken doggies from other pounds to stop them being put to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

We got our (latest) dog from a rescue home about 10 years ago now.

I can honestly say that it was the best thing to happen to us - ever. She had to be neutered before they would let us take her. Apparantly it's commonplace, to prevent any more dogs being dumped/abandoned.

After I leave home, I will most certainly be getting a rescued dog - she really has brought so much to my house and is part of the family in every way that counts :)

I'd say take your time and consider all your options - but in the end, I'll always say "go for the rescued dog" :)
    There are still small signs of her previous life before we got her ... even now, a decade after we first picked her up! But it's worth it, she would most likely have been put down had we not taken her :(

You can tell I like dogs can't you? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I'm currently awaiting a homecheck before being allowed to bring home the happiest German Shepherd I've ever seen (surprising, considering both she and her sister were virtually dead from starvation 6 weeks ago). Assuming they reckon my place is good enough, I can go pick her up, whereupon they expect me, very reasonably, to hand over an €80 donation to ISPCA. Not too shabby when you consider the cost of neutering alone is €120.
    As a matter of interest, anyone know how long I can expect to wait before the whole procedure is complete (the wait is killing me :) )? I imagine it'd be fairly quick, since it's costing them money to keep her.

Advertisement