Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny: Ireland's only Tesco free zone.

Options
  • 03-05-2005 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

From Times Online:

TESCO’S quest for global domination is right on track. The world’s third-largest supermarket group is to open an outlet in Co Leitrim later this year, leaving Kilkenny as the only county in the republic remaining to be conquered ...

Full Story

Does Kilkenny need a TESCO?

Where I'm living there are 3 TESCO supermarkets and 1 TESCO petrol station within a 10 minute drive. We rarely shop there choosing to go to Superquinn instead.

With TESCO's new 24 hours 7 days a week opening times will this mean the end for other smaller retailers even the likes of SuperValu etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

In Galway myself at the moment and I find Tesco cheaper than Superquinn and Dunnes.
    Twould be nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Planning laws in Kilkenny are tough. They only allowed a 24/7 garage to open their last year.

I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. Although, they'll probably buy one of the supermarkets like Loughboy.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

My mum loves the food my sister brings down some weekends to discover mostly from Tesco, or M&S, so would be good.

I mean there is going to be THREE Dunnes Stores in Kilkenny

As far as i know Tesco wil that the anchor option on the Cattle Mart eventually, so on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Oh, yea arent' they already putting on in there. Close to my house.... ummm

John

yea i'll be close enough to the new eurospar, the new Dunnes and the new Tesco .

How much food do people eat !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Speaking of that new eurospar, what else is going in that new Newpark shopping centre (i think thats what its called anyway, the place at the johnswell road/new orchard junction) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Amz wrote:
    From Times Online:

TESCO’S quest for global domination is right on track. The world’s third-largest supermarket group is to open an outlet in Co Leitrim later this year, leaving Kilkenny as the only county in the republic remaining to be conquered ...

Full Story

Does Kilkenny need a TESCO?

Where I'm living there are 3 TESCO supermarkets and 1 TESCO petrol station within a 10 minute drive. We rarely shop there choosing to go to Superquinn instead.

With TESCO's new 24 hours 7 days a week opening times will this mean the end for other smaller retailers even the likes of SuperValu etc.

Supervalu is a rip off and superquinn is getting worse, ie, poor service.
    I heard rumours that superquinn is pulling out of kilkenny.(new owners)
    I'd Welcome Tesco. (Every Little Helps!) :)

They are hoping :
    A doctors surgery
    A nurse station
    A hairdressers
    A chemist
    A chinese take away

can't remember what else.

sure I'll never have to lmove more than a few 100 m from the house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

we need tesco cos dunnes have a near monopoly in the town, what with superquinn being 2 expensive and supervalu being too small and sh!t. it is hoped it will go in the site of the cattle mart. the council need to stop being so strict with planning applications for developments like these as they will only hurt the economy of the town. anyone remember when dunnes originally wanted to open in town? it took them years cos they couldn't get planning permission. and as Kilkenny is already losing out to Carlow for shopping it can only be of benefit to the town if one opens

I remember peeking throught he hoarding on Kierans treet for yes at a vast abyss

Was my first experience of ...hoarding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Personally, I've always found Tesco's to be a lot more expensive than Dunnes (that's from shopping in Cork). The Supervalu's down here are pretty good and cheaper than Tesco's too.

No superquinn down this neck of the woods, but the one in KK is not as good as it used to be. I think that when it came to town first, it forced the likes of Dunnes to pull up its socks, but Superquinn never evolved after that.

As Hmm_Messiah said, Tesco are due to be the anchor tenant on the old mart site.

Are Dunnes def going to be in the railway development? I had heard it was going to be Supervalu...wouldn't mind if it was Marks & Sparks though!

And I remember that hoarding too. The painted nice pictures on them one year for Arts Week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

wow, when I realised how old this thread was I got whiplash from the flashback!

Advertisement