Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA man released under the GFA involved in Cork Kidnap and attempted robbery

Options
  • 03-05-2005 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Just heard this on the six one news.
    Two of the guys have republican links.
    They held a 6 months pregnant woman hostage.
    One of the guys arrested was released under the GFA early release programme.

lovely fuckin lovely...

Who do Sinn Féin think they are kidding when they bring the likes of these IRA guys to their Árd fheis and pretend they are not criminals... ?

Background

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's a disgrace!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

its not surprising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah don't worry they were only freelancing....(I saw nothin')

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

To do that to anyone is terrible but to a family where the wife is pregnant and their 4 kids are all under the age of 6yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Reading stories like this, I'm starting to think the peace process is largely a sham to appease terrorists.

Can't wait for the first SF supporter to come on spouting gibberish about how it's all a securocrat plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Reading stories like this, I'm starting to think the peace process is largely a sham to appease terrorists.
    You're only thinking this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

daveirl wrote:

Because there are only so many ways on a weekly basis that they can say "Surprise ! The IRA are criminals ! " before they and the people get sick of it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

What it could be is that they know the full story but can only publish some details now. The full story might come out in a short while. I've seen this happen to other non-event type news stories before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

AFAIK the IRA had cut it's connection with the men that were involved. Being reported on this mornings news that they had cut connections with 2 of them.

So bascially what you have here are former republicans who have turned into criminals bloody nasty ones at that.

So rock climber I think you might want to check the facts as I believe (could be wrong) that these are former IRA men, so maybe a thread title stating "Former IRA man released under the GFA.... etc"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

irish1 wrote:
    So rock climber I think you might want to check the facts as I believe (could be wrong) that these are former IRA men, so maybe a thread title stating "Former IRA man released under the GFA.... etc"
    Certainly I'll do that when I see Gerry Adams condemning this IRA Good friday released mans actions for besmirching the good name of republicanism.
    Do you think I'll be waiting long?

I doubt it, I'd imagine Adams would condemn such a violent act of criminality.

My point is that your thread is misleading.

irish1 wrote:
    I doubt it, I'd imagine Adams would condemn such a violent act of criminality.
    I'd imagine he's pretty busy at the moment,but I'll believe it when I see it.
    My point is that your thread is misleading.
    Not at all. He was released under the GFA as an IRA prisoner,have the IRA been campaigning since they "disowned" him to get him back in prison?
    They seem to be very zealous when they change their minds the other way on who they claim should or shouldnt be in prison.
    Anyway,very few people down here take the word of the IRA,they can say what they like.
    Adams trusts them though :rolleyes: Do you?

I just wrote a reply but most of it was off topic so I deleted it, my point is simple IMO your thread is misleading it should say a former IRA man.

Now I really couldn't be bothered gatting into another random discussion on Sinn Fein and the IRA. The people of Northern of Ireland will vote tomorrow and they will tell us who they want to represent them.

This act was a criminal act carried out by criminal's who in the past have been members of the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not quite as clear cut as the Rock claims... Nothing new there
    Irish Indo wrote:
    He was kicked out of the Provisional IRA more than two years ago after a terrorist court martial into the activities of members who were siphoning off some of the proceeds of crimes.

The gang leader was the victim of a punishment shooting and ejected from the Provisional movement along with the then commanding officer of the IRA's Dublin brigade. The suspect made several attempts to be re-instated but was refused and set up his own crime gang in the Dundalk area.

His activities meant he was targeted by the Criminal Assets Bureau. He also escaped from custody in the North but was subsequently arrested by gardai and served a 10-year jail term in Portlaoise. He was then granted a special dispensation by Queen Elizabeth to return to the North without fear of prosecution.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1388981&issue_id=12419

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

daveirl wrote:

I think you are seeing a bias where there clearly isn't one ...

If you were a hippy you would be screaming that the death of Bob Hunter (founder of Greenpeace) has been moved down to the bottom because western media is run by the corporations who hate greenpeace... if you are an anti-war person you would be screaming that the US announcment of nuclear weapons isn't the headline because the government is pressuring RTE to follow the offical line ... if you are pro-Bush you would be screaming that the news from Iraqi is to high compared to the nuclear announcment because RTE is anti-war .. etc etc etc

Everyone has a personal (bias) opinion of what news is important and what news isn't important, based on there own interests. To you the report Gardi have arrested (only arrested, it isn't the original kidnapping report) a man in connection to a kidnapping and other on going details about the case is more important to you than crisis at one of the main teacher training colleges. To others that is far more important. It is also the first report of the resignation, where as the kidnap story had already broken and this was a follow up.

irish1 wrote:
    Now I really couldn't be bothered gatting into another random discussion on Sinn Fein and the IRA. The people of Northern of Ireland will vote tomorrow and they will tell us who they want to represent them.
    an awkward question for you Irish1 isnt it, I'LL repeat it.
    The IRA campaign to have those that they reclaim out under the GFA, but they do nothing when they disown those already out...
    This act was a criminal act carried out by criminal's who in the past have been members of the IRA.

I'll repeat the other awkward question, do you trust the IRA's word on this?
    Not quite as clear cut as the Rock claims... Nothing new there

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1388981&issue_id=12419

LoL Dub, is that the Indo you are quoting there...

Now Irish 1 do you trust the IRA's word on this?

LoL Dub, is that the Indo you are quoting there...

Yep and if they can even state this, it is even more obvious that he was an ex- IRA man rather than an IRA man as claimed in your thread

• Advertisement

I think if someone on release from the GFA is convicted of a future crime they should have to serve both the time for that crime and the time for the terrorist crime they committed .. that might be the way it works now, but if it isn't it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Whats the point here rockclimber?

Are you arguing:
    a) prisoners shouldnt be released under GFA?
    b) It fair enough to release prisoners but if they are involved in further criminal activity then throw the book at them.

I agree with b) by the way. So does every republican I know.

This was not an IRA act. I dont see the problem

Thats totally off topic Rock Climber, if you want me to answer those questions start a new thread, but I think most people know my position on the IRA.

It's not off topic Irish1.
    Clearly you are taking the word of the IRA on this mans position.
    So I'm asking do you trust the IRA?

It's interesting that you wont answer the question.

Mighty_mouse yup it's b , have the IRA put the same input into having this guys lose his GFA entitlements because they threw him out(thats if we are to believe them) as they did to have the mccabe killers included?

Otherwise they are disingenous.
    Yep and if they can even state this, it is even more obvious that he was an ex- IRA man rather than an IRA man as claimed in your thread
    This means now that you are willing to take the INDO as gospel when it suits you that, I can ignore all claims of bias when I quote it in future?

I shall bookmark this for reference so :)

It's not on topic, now I have no problem answering it in the right thread or pm, that is my last post on this matter in this thread

Whats the point here rockclimber?

Are you arguing:
    a) prisoners shouldnt be released under GFA?
    b) It fair enough to release prisoners but if they are involved in further criminal activity then throw the book at them.

I agree with b) by the way. So does every republican I know.

This was not an IRA act. I dont see the problem

I think the point is that these people were supposed to be release because they weren't criminals, there were "freedom fighters" or "political prisioners", and now a lot of them have wound up in criminal attivities which kinda re-affirms the view that a lot of Irish people (myself included) had that the IRA was, and still is, made up of nothing more than a group of thugs and criminals that do not, and have never, deserved the protections that real soldiers and a real army deserves.

But the GFA has been signed, not much we can do about it now. Except throw the book at this guy and be a lot more careful and less trusting when dealing with the Irish Republican Army in the future.

Irish1,I don't see the "off topicness" here.
    You have stated that the IRA have expelled the guy and you are simply being asked do you trust their word on this?
    Thats a relevant and on topic question.

Well then it is patently obvious that people will fall into 2 camps

1. People who will never trust the IRA therefore they will not believe that the subject of this thread is an ex-IRA man (even without offering any kind of link or evidence that he is in the IRA). It is what they want to believe rather than any possibility that the truth is somewhat different.

2. In the absence of other evidence, people will trust the IRA word on this

RC makes it plain that he is in camp 1 and then asks of everyone in camp 2 for their opinion on other actions of the IRA. I have been pulled up for off topicness for a lot less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Can someone explain to me how this man was released under the GFA?

If one were to believe the Republican-supporting posts here, the 'RA kicked this guy out some time ago and (presumably) want nothing more to do with him. However, what they don't appear to have done is actually made this issue clear to the authorities that they are supposedly negotiating with.

How did the Irish government mistakenly believe that this man was eligible for early release under the GFA? More importantly - why did no-one on the Republican side speak up against this?

I honestly don't get it. Some days, I tend to think that Republicans are being stitched up, and that someone is deliberately engineering situations to make them look bad. On the other hand, when I look at it a day later, the only conclusion I can come to is that if the Republicans are being stitched up, its being made possible by what what I can only describe as the most inept and incapable P.R. / negotiating / political teams imaginable.

It doesn't add up...and this seems to me to be the real underlying issue. The stuff thats going on doesn't make sense, regardless of whether or not you listen to and believe the Republican explanations/excuses.

This, for me, is ultimately where the growing issue with SF, the IRA, and the entire peace process is coming from. The explanations offered don't make sense. So either we're being asked to entrust the future of our isle to people who can't make sense, or we're being asked to entrust it to liars or deceivers.

So maybe someone can offer me a third option? Maybe someone can offer a sensible way to interpret how no Republican party objected to being linked to this mans criminal activity through his early release, nor objected to him being released in their name. Are we to believe, for example, that they are not actually privy to the decisions as to who will and will not be released, and that its a surprise to them when someone finds themself on the free side of the fence?

Explain it to me.

jc

• Advertisement

This means now that you are willing to take the INDO as gospel when it suits you that, I can ignore all claims of bias when I quote it in future?

I shall bookmark this for reference so :)

Getting ahead of yourself there. I was pointing out that even the Irish Independent (that fervent anti-Sinn Fein and IRA publication) has called it differebt to you ie He is an ex member of the IRA who was expelled years ago. Yet you believe that he is an IRA member but offer nothing to back it up except a bout of 'Whataboutry'.

Advertisement