Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

• 03-05-2005 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Apart from buying past papers is there anywhere i could find out what came up pre 2002? I know the www.examinations.ie site only goes back as far as 2002. OR else could people post up what they are studying for each section? Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Heres what to study: Anything in bold I will be surprised if its not on paper!

Section A: Home Rule; Unionism; Land Question

Section B: Cumann na nGaedheal in power, 1923 - 32; Fianna Fáil in power 1932 - 48; Interparty Governments, 1948 - 57

Section C: Germany, France, Russia, 1870-1914; the Eastern Question; the Treaty of Versailles

Section D: The dictators: Stalin, Mussolini, Hitler

Section E: Mine is on Hermann Goering. Excellent essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Thanks, some of them were interesting, i think i'm to study :

Section A : Parnell, Sinn Fein, Unionist Opposition to Hr, Constructive Unionism.

Section B : Sinn Fein, Ireland 39-45, interparty gov, something else.

Section C : France, Russia, maybe WW1 causes.

Section D : Hitler's consolidation/rise & The Cold War.

Study Stalin too in your Sec D. He's begging to come up!

anyone know what are the possible essays i could get on Parnell apart from...

His role in land q.
    His role in home rule.
    a skilled politician.

i've heard hes supposed to be the hardest essay on the paper.

ALso just to help u out on some other essays. click here or here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Does anyone think there's a chance of Davitt coming up in secton A? My teacher thinks that William 11 could come up in section C as he hasn't been asked in ages. What do ye reckon?

• Advertisement

yea i heard that william 2 is fairly likely to come up. Study him if ur able, i find him far too boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

im thinking of doing:

Sec a: Parnell, Land League, Land q.

Sec b: Northern Ireland, First Interparty Gov.

Sec c: Bismarck, France, Lenin

Sec d: Stalin, Mussolini.

Sec e: Countess Marcevicz

what do you think? Any comments or advise?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Unionism didn't come up last year which means it's almost a dead cert for Section A (look at the past papers). I'm doing that and the whole of the Home Rule party, from Butt to Redmond for A.

How is everyone studying this? are you just writing essays over and over or reading the stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

ye all im doing is wrting it over and over. At this stage theres no point in reading over the stuff, imo! :)

Lenin? i think that is dodgy. I'd say u should be ok though overall. Remember that point Valingory made in another thread about : if everyone does the same essay the marks will be harder to come by.

I'm still cramming theres no point me writing stuff out when i still don't know it. I always worry about having my 6 paragraphs aswel as my intro and conclusion. For example with certain essays on Parnell u must have a balance in ur essay depending on title. E.g Achievements and Failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

anyone know what are the possible essays i could get on Parnell apart from...

His role in land q.
    His role in home rule.
    a skilled politician.

i've heard hes supposed to be the hardest essay on the paper.

ALso just to help u out on some other essays. click here or here

Wrote on Parnell last year in the leaving, basically a total summary of his political skill (that's including Home Rule AND The Land Question).. Can't really see Parnell coming up this year, would be more inclined to believe that John Redmond And his involvement with the IPP until 1918 would be far more likely..

i'm aware he came up last year, but he is quite popular and has appeared numerous times. Its the last year -not sure if it makes a scrap of a difference- but i'm hoping they go with him because hes quite important in the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

A- Parnell HR, Davitt, Isac Butt.
    B- InterParty Govts., War of Indapendance.
    C- Bismark, France, Russia in Revolution, The Eastern Question, World War 1 causes.
    D- Stalin, Mussolini, De Gaulle, Cold War, Hitler.
    E- Special topic, The Atlantic wall - Rommels contribution.

They're the topics I'm definatly doing so far. I'll probably add a few more.

ur well covered 4european i don't think u should bother learning anymore.

Cold war

Whats important to know and what types of essay can be asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

hey,
    ive got the exam papers but they only go up as far as 2003,
    so im kinda screwed as regards to what came up last year....
    anyone wanna shed some light?
    ill focus all positive karma in your direction!

:o

Last Year:
    A: Gladstone; C.S. Parnell ; Conservatives in Ireland; Cultural Nationalism; Treaty to Civil War,Divisions over Anglo Irish treaty.
    B: Partition; Cumann na nGaedheal; Anglo-Irish Relations; Labour Movement; Seán Lemass.
    C: Bismark; European Expansion over seas; Anglo-German Relations, between 1890-1914; Austro-Hungarian Empire, 1870 - 1918; Lenin.
    D: Economic History in Europe, 1919-39; Facism in Europe; Hitler, foreign policy; Europe 1945-1966, Discuss a national leader and international statesman either Konrad Adenauer or Krushchev; The United States and Europe.
    E: Research topic

A bit of good Karma is just what I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

you, my dear, are a saint!
    ive orgainised a mass rally, we're actually all huddled together concentrating all our energies and sendin em over to you!
    i owe you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Do you think I'd be ok in learning the following

Section A: Davitt, Parnell, Butt
    Section B: Neutrality, Inter party, Fianna Fail 1932-39
    Section C: France, Bismarck, Causes of WWI
    Section D: Stalin, Hitler consolidation of power, Mussolini, Franco

rosa wrote:

I'd have maybe the civil war learned aswell and another for section A.

• Advertisement

rosa wrote:

hell yeah!!!!! i;m only learning 2 per sectiion.

hell yeah!!!!! i;m only learning 2 per sectiion.
    Serriously?

yeah,

Section A - parnell - all aspects of him bout 4-5 essays
    construcive unionism
    killing hr with kindness

Section B - Sinn Fein
    Inter Party both
    irish neutrality
    Section C - France, Russia.

Section D - Hitler consolidation and hitler rise
    Cold War

the ones in bold are ones i'm thinking of doing. But i'm fairly confident of section c and d. Topics i am studying i know them inside out and all posible questions but it won't be any use f they don't come up. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Section A - parnell - all aspects of him bout 4-5 essays
    construcive unionism
    killing hr with kindness
    Parnell came up last year, if anything it'll be Butt or Redmond.
    Unionism is a must, Davitt is a good back up, imho.

I've got it down to:
    A - Unionism (which includes Carson and Craig), Davitt and Butt
    B - Inter Party, Security, Economy
    C - France, Bismarck
    D - Stalin, Mussolini, Hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm in a spot of bother and need some help folks. I have pretty much a genuine memory difficulty which makes learning extremely difficult. I am having a whore of a time studying my research topic. It is The Battle of The Bulge which is 2 pages long and I just cant memorise it, i read it everyday and write it but I cant do it, same with Geography with my field work study. Anyone got any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gabriella

I find that the best way to learn them is just to keep writting it out, perhaps taking each section/paragraph at a time and just write it with your copy open until you know it and then without it. keep that going whole way through the essay and should be able to memorize it easier and also helps with making your writing speed quicker. Gabriella :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

if its 2 a4 pages it seems alittle short for a research topic

yeah thats WAY too short, as you already have it learned it should be longer then the standard 4 pages anyway. Mine is six pages.

sci0x wrote:
    yeah thats WAY too short, as you already have it learned it should be longer then the standard 4 pages anyway. Mine is six pages.

depends on size and speed of your writing. emphasis on speed really which pre-determines your potential in a history exam to some extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm in a spot of bother and need some help folks. I have pretty much a genuine memory difficulty which makes learning extremely difficult. I am having a whore of a time studying my research topic. It is The Battle of The Bulge which is 2 pages long and I just cant memorise it, i read it everyday and write it but I cant do it, same with Geography with my field work study. Anyone got any help?

I also have severe memory troubles, it may be ADHD but if I mentioned that my parents would think I'm making excuses.

The best way I remember things is by sight so what I did for english was get the movie of Hamlet.

Having watched it and Witness once or twice I now remember them with little trouble. With history unless you can get your hands on some really accurate documentaries or films this might not work for you.

As far as your research topic goes, go out and buy a dictation machine or a walkman with a built in microphone, read out your research topic into the dictation machine and listen to it as much as possible, just like the listening portion of the irish exam if you listen to it enough you may have a better chance of remembering it. Hope this helps.

Advertisement