Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

He's going to ask combined questions this year, as it's the last year of the old history course.

i.e. Threats both internal/external to ireland 22-45.
    militant nationalism 1912-1921
    Irish Economy 32-45 (or he could ask 22-66)
    The Emergency both South and North Of Ireland
    The issues that affected irish people 1921-22
    Contrast 50's and 60's In Ireland
    Relationship of Muss/Hit
    Church State Relations In Ger and France

Oh and (I know most schools don't do it but..) The Spainish Civil War is tipped as well.

Besides that, learn all the must haves:
    home rule 1875-1918
    land q.
    sinn féin
    interparty govs (bot 48-51 and 54-57)
    C N G Gov 22-32
    Franco-Prussian War
    3rd French Republic
    Eastern Question
    Tsarist Russia
    Muss, Hitler, Stalin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

GDM wrote:
    just like the listening portion of the irish exam if you listen to it enough you may have a better chance of remembering it.

:confused:

hada wrote:
    He's going to ask combined questions this year, as it's the last year of the old history course.

who is this man?

U named half the course but i'd agree with most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Here's what I've narrowed it down to,
    Section A: Unionism (Carson); Home Rule 1900-1918 (Redmond); Sinn Fein (Griffith)

Section B: Inter Party Governments; Ireland during war/neutrality; A general question on Fianna Fail in power; Economic Policies (probably of I-P G and FF).

Section C: French 3rd Republic; Eastern Question; Causes of WW1; Tsarist Russia.

Section D: Mussolini (intenal & external); Stalin (internal & external); Hitler (rise to power/consolidation of power or internal policies); Weimar Republic; Steps to Euro Unity.

I wouldn't narrow it down much less than that, and would know at least 4 for each section. By far the worst moment of the LC is the couple of hours before history, praying you'll be covered in each section. Trust me, it really is horrible so make sure you cover yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

vote4pedro wrote:
    Here's what I've narrowed it down to,
    Section A: Unionism (Carson); Home Rule 1900-1918 (Redmond); Sinn Fein (Griffith)

Section B: Inter Party Governments; Ireland during war/neutrality; A general question on Fianna Fail in power; Economic Policies (probably of I-P G and FF).

Section C: French 3rd Republic; Eastern Question; Causes of WW1; Tsarist Russia.

Section D: Mussolini (intenal & external); Stalin (internal & external); Hitler (rise to power/consolidation of power or internal policies); Weimar Republic; Steps to Euro Unity.

I wouldn't narrow it down much less than that, and would know at least 4 for each section. By far the worst moment of the LC is the couple of hours before history, praying you'll be covered in each section. Trust me, it really is horrible so make sure you cover yourself.

That nearly matches my line-up essay for essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Does nobody think constructive unionism is coming up for section A? :eek:

Edit: Would anyone have an essay on Davitt they could share? I won't copy it word for word, but I'd like to see the layout and approach taken. Thanks :D

YES i think constructive unionism will come up.

I don't have an essay on davitt. I woudn't anybody would be worried about u copying it word for word anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

who is this man?

U named half the course but i'd agree with most of them.

The guy that sets the paper.

Chances are you will have to combine one or two essays into one question in the actual exam, therefore you best have all corners covered

I.e. have learnt 37 or so essays (that constitutes about 5-11 different topics a section)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

some people seem to think sinn fein is a big one this year, the arthur griffith one coz its 100 years this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

I have this gem of a little history book which was less than €10. It covers the average essay in two pages. It's brilliant if used with another history book. It's called "Concise Leaving Cert History" by Thomas Kingston. It's published by Solas Publications.

• Advertisement

eh you people who think constructive unionism will come up, eh it came up last year, 2004 Q : THE CONSERVATIVES AND IRELAND - How successful were the irish policies of Conservative governments during the period 1886- 1906. Is that not the same question? If I'm not mistaken ( i dont know much history) then they wouldnt ask the same question again, I would put my money on unionist oppostion to home rule. again im not very good at history so dont slate me if im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

eh you people who think constructive unionism will come up, eh it came up last year, 2004 Q : THE CONSERVATIVES AND IRELAND - How successful were the irish policies of Conservative governments during the period 1886- 1906. Is that not the same question? If I'm not mistaken ( i dont know much history) then they wouldnt ask the same question again, I would put my money on unionist oppostion to home rule. again im not very good at history so dont slate me if im wrong
    Jesus, that post had me thinking. What if all of the essays I've predected will come up don't come up at all, like in my mock.

lol nobody is cutting it as tight as me though, i dont know if i'll know more than 8 essays (excluding research topic) can anyone confirm that the question i quoted is in fact the same as constructive unionism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

a) davitt, cultural nationalism, NI
    b)inter party govt's, lemass (one or the other nearly always comes up), NI
    c)france(with a paragraph on Franco-Prussian war),bismarck,either eastern q or causese of ww1
    d)stalin. hitler, mussolini (facism essay)
    e)the ol' research topic "Claus Von Stauffenberg and the plot to kill hitler, july 20th 1944"

TIP: aim to write 10 or so a pargraphs, you can write 3 per page, they don't have to be that long, and aim to get 5/6 out of 10 in each, instead of 6-8 paragraphs (which is nigh on impossible), because its to hard to get 10 in each one. ahhhhhhhhhh the godsend that is Grinds. My grinds teacher is Peader o'ceallaigh, anyone have him, he teaches history+irish in a cbs on the southside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Jesus, that post had me thinking. What if all of the essays I've predected will come up don't come up at all, like in my mock.
    Don't think, just stick to what your doing. Maybe learn one or two extra if your really sh!tting it, but keep to what you've got and concentrate on getting them in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

im only looking to pass history, dont need it for the points really (thank you arts in UCD =]) and so im taking big chances and only gonna do enough to get by,
    section A: Davitt. little bit on Butt
    section B: Irish neutrality. CnaG
    section C: France. little bit on the Tsars
    section D: mussolini. rise of hitler
    section E: Georgy Zhukov

i know enought to bs my way through an essay if worst comes to blurst! but still -

PRAY FOR ME!

section A anybody?

i've only got parnell learnt. Im debating learning all his possible essays or learning something else. Panicing a bit, any help would be much loved.

EDIT: panicing a lot. please list out everything in section A ur learning.

i've got parnell
    sinn fein - success in 1918 election - hoping this doesn't come up in sec B.
    i've heard ulster opposition to HR but i don't remember zilch on it. :( ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh history is biggest gamble if paper doesn't come up right. Ok bak 2point. help wanted.

section A anybody?

i've only got parnell learnt. Im debating learning all his possible essays or learning something else. Panicing a bit, any help would be much loved.

EDIT: panicing a lot. please list out everything in section A ur learning.

i've got parnell
    sinn fein - success in 1918 election - hoping this doesn't come up in sec B.
    i've heard ulster opposition to HR but i don't remember zilch on it. :( ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh history is biggest gamble if paper doesn't come up right. Ok bak 2point. help wanted.
    well youre learninig enough
    Parnell- last year, and far to much to learn. Davitt's tipped, and is easy.
    Something on Northern Ireland comes up every year in A and B, unionist oppostion isn't the easiest there though.
    what about just a butt and parnell essay, thats meant to come up also.

well youre learninig enough
    Parnell- last year, and far to much to learn. Davitt's tipped, and is easy.
    Something on Northern Ireland comes up every year in A and B, unionist oppostion isn't the easiest there though.
    what about just a butt and parnell essay, thats meant to come up also.

i only have 2 essays sinn fein and parnell.
    We never did N.I at all, not going to start now. How bout land question, bit dodgy?

correct me if i'm wrong but
    unionist opposition to hr...

Looks like a good possibility

• Advertisement

i only did it in grinds, it isnt that bad, but probz best to leave it if you've never done it. they always ask NI though, it makes 'em look good!
    Yeah, you can't really go wrong if you know all the land acts and the land league, i don't really know much about that q, alot of that comes up in the Davitt essay, which, once again, is tipped.
    Would you consider doing Davitt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

what do people think is the most likely question on NI going to be?

do you think it will be in sec.a or b?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Yes Fry leaving everything to the last possible moment
    Anywho
    Section A:Butt,Davitt,Unionist opposition,Land league/war
    Section B:Cumann na ngaedahl, Fianna Fail gov'ts all aspects of
    Section C:France, Bismarck, Lenin, Tsarist Russia,
    Section D:Stalin, Hitler in general, Mussolini, Fasicsm in general
    Section E:The battle of Kursk

In this time of ridiculous amounts of history study I feel a quote from The Charge Of The Light Brigade sums up the situation quite nicely
    "And into the Valley Of Death rode the six hundred"
    May we all go down in a blaze of glory..

Macka wrote:
    In this time of ridiculous amounts of history study I feel a quote from The Charge Of The Light Brigade sums up the situation quite nicely
    "And into the Valley Of Death rode the six hundred"
    May we all go down in a blaze of glory..
    quiet, my good man.

Yeah sorry about that I realised what a nerdy thing to say it was the second I posted it but anyway I'll be pissed off if I don't do well in history it's the only subject I like (and in the grand scale of things one of the few subjects that you learn something relevant in) :D

i have loads of notes on unionist opp. to hr definetly going 2give it a brush over now. Maybe even davitt, just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

im freakin out
    cant find any notes on uni to hr

is it likely?

Unionist opp. is piss easy as is Davitt it's just so boring to force yourself to learn. Of all the tips I've heard for that section it seems like it's gonna be unionist opp., Davitt or something to do with Sinn Fein(centenary). Although I've heard a horrible tip that the unionist Q could be just on the impact Carson and CRaig had on the unionist movement

Macka wrote:
    Yeah sorry about that I realised what a nerdy thing to say it was the second I posted it but anyway I'll be pissed off if I don't do well in history it's the only subject I like (and in the grand scale of things one of the few subjects that you learn something relevant in) :D

business surely has more relevance, or biology, geography???

• Advertisement

I said it was one of the FEW subjects that has relevance. It did shape the world that you live in today which I believe definately puts it up there in terms of importance with any other subject

Advertisement