Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Macka wrote:
    Unionist opp. is piss easy as is Davitt it's just so boring to force yourself to learn. Of all the tips I've heard for that section it seems like it's gonna be unionist opp., Davitt or something to do with Sinn Fein(centenary). Although I've heard a horrible tip that the unionist Q could be just on the impact Carson and CRaig had on the unionist movement

Unionist Opposition will be on in section A for sure, however if it is as above, about carson and craig, i am pretty fukked! well very fukked, ill learn davitt too or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

god i hope so
    yup i learned sinn fein, easy peasy
    i HATE spanish civil war
    im gonna have to knuckle down to it tomoro, ergh

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Spanish Civil War (in my humble opinion) will NOT come up stick with Stalin/Hitler/Mussolini/Rise of Fasicsm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

what do people think is the most likely question on NI going to be?

do you think it will be in sec.a or b?
    I'm hoping to god for something on the Ulster Question, it's the only one I've learned so far.

Therefore, it is probably the most unlikely to come up...

I'm hoping to god for something on the Ulster Question, it's the only one I've learned so far.

Therefore, it is probably the most unlikely to come up...
    lmao
    typical huh?
    as long as sinn fein comes up im sorted
    god i hate section a
    and not too thrilled bout c either

and macka??!?!?
    that prediction thread was 50% full of buffs sayin spanish civil war is a cert
    dont tell me theyre wrong
    im livin by what you guys tell me!

• Advertisement

Macka wrote:
    stick with Stalin/Hitler/Mussolini
    One of these three will almost definitely come up, they nearly always do. And everyone learn Bismarck, it's almost a dead cert!

what?!?!
    no no no
    bismarck is def not comin up
    he came up last year right!?

Not so sure about Bismarck prob be ye olde kaiser Wilheim this year. France seems to be an absolute certainty. If it doesn't come up I think there'll be national outrage. Although I do have Otto as a safety net just cos that essay is so straight forward

Sorry BraveheartGal but what prediction thread are you talking about? I would very much like to see it

what?!?!
    no no no
    bismarck is def not comin up
    he came up last year right!?
    He comes up nearly every year. And this is the last year of the course, there won't be any major surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Macka wrote:
    Yeah sorry about that I realised what a nerdy thing to say it was the second I posted it but anyway I'll be pissed off if I don't do well in history it's the only subject I like (and in the grand scale of things one of the few subjects that you learn something relevant in) :D
    couldn't agree more, except about the doing well and liking it bit.
    bussiness, biology, geography- everything is out of date that you have to learn, at least history can't be out of date!!!

People-relax, learn Davitt, Sinn Fein (if unlike me, it was actually coverd with you) and anything you may have on NI.
    Cultural Revival is easy to learn.

He comes up nearly every year. And this is the last year of the course, there won't be any major surprises.
    really
    i dont have history papers (amnt i the smart gal)
    so im jus goin by what i read here

thank god for bismarck, i vaguely remember him
    but ive nothin else for "c" cept france,ww1

thanks for pointin it out! i owe ya
    (good karma galore is about to reach you nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnow)

Sorry baby*cham*bell cultural revival came up last year I wouldn't bother donig it. Constructive Unionism is a nice one for that section it's pretty boring but very short.

Macka wrote:
    Not so sure about Bismarck prob be ye olde kaiser Wilheim this year.
    Something on Germany is a definite anyway.
    Bismarck, Wilhelm 2nd or the Weimar Republic all seem fairly likely.

Yeah if you know everything about germany in either european section you're basically sorted same if you know everything about Parnell in section A. You're guaranteed a Q but not neccessarily a nice one

no
    im not doin wilhelm II, no point doin somethin new
    please god let weimar come up
    soooooooo easy

jus outta curiosity what sections do you guys find easiest and hardest?

id find a hardest
    and d easiest

Macka wrote:
    Sorry baby*cham*bell cultural revival came up last year I wouldn't bother donig it. Constructive Unionism is a nice one for that section it's pretty boring but very short.
    yeah butits piss easy................... it's back should Davitt or a nice Unionist Q not come up

Macka wrote:
    Sorry BraveheartGal but what prediction thread are you talking about? I would very much like to see it
    oh erm.....
    it should be on the 2nd page, its called predictions and has bout 3 gold stars beside it

best damn thread i know of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

firstly i am typing without looking at the screen so forive my errors.

1998 Discuss the reasons for irish Unionist opposition to self-governemtn for ireland and the impact that opposition on the course of irish history during the period 1886 to 1920

Intro -
    Parnell's successful bargaining for power during the 1885 election 'converted' Gladstone of the need for Hr in ireland (Hawarden Kite)
    With Gladstone's unsuccessful attempt to introduce the 1st HR bill in 1886, many ulster unionists realised that hr was on the agenda 4 ireland.
    Disagree with this fundamentally they set about organising resistance culminating in the hr crisis of 1911-1914

Para 1 - Economics
    unionists feared that hr would damage their strong economy
    areas where unionism was strongest (north east ulster - belfast) where also industrialised (ind. rev.). But their indistries depended upon raw materials and export (free trade) to other dominions of the Commonwealth - thereofre the union was essential for ulster's economic health.
    Unionists feared Hr would mean the intro of tariffs, with wealthy brit. industrialists investing elsewhere.
    they also percieved the irish to be lazy, stupid and incapable(dub -. 2nd poorest city in europe) and envious of ulster's wea;th , thus they would unwittingly and deliberately contribute to ulsters economic death.
    Paragraph 2 - Religion
    Unionists were divided from Nationalists by religion believeing 'hr would be rome rule).
    since the 17th century plantation of scottish and english people, unionists/protestants and Nationalists/Catholics had been divided by religion.
    Adopting an antithtical apprach to life, summarised by the two breed two creeds statement.
    As evidenced by the involvement of tsome catholic priests in the land movement, unionists felt that the cc was biased towards Nationalists, and if hr was introduced, the cc would attempt to damage the prtestant faith through the largely nationalist politicians

para 3 - politics
    unionists rejected hr on the simple political grounds that they woanted to remain in the union.
    ulster had a strong tradition of the brit empire, they regarded themselves as british, and enjoyed the security, might and prestige of the union.
    Again they viewed the 'southern celts' as violent, drunken and unfit to rule, a belief that was not cchallenged by the likes of parnell or helped by the land war 1897 -1882 I PRESUME THE NOTE MEANT TO SAY 1877- 1882 and such events.
    They felt hr wokd be the thin end of the wedge, leading to total seperation political chaos and as such adopted a 'no surrender attitude'
    Some unionists felt that giving hr to ireland would undermine the integrity of the british empire encouraging other colonies to seek further soveriegnty
    some unionists felt that hr as limited independance could create a situation where ireland could be a viable invasion base to britain in a future war, and as such was an unwanted threat to national security.

PARA 4 - 1886 - 1905
    Unionism grew fro the threat of Gladstone's first hr bill which was defeated in 1886
    Before this, unionists were loosesly linked (orange order 1795, irish loyal and patriotic union 1885)
    the ulster loyalist ani0repeal union marks the beginnings of a unified approcah, boosted b y the ulster will fighr , ulster will be right. outburst by tony randolph chchurchhill
    the 1893 second hr bill was vetoed in the lords and the split in the hr for 10 years.
    unionism flared with the devoloution crisis 1904-1905 irlenad sunder-secterary proposed giving some legislative power to an electef council of ireland.
    viewin it as 'hr by instalments' theyb set up the ulster unionist council which would act as an umbrella org. for unionists and emerged as an effective political machine/. My back hurts be back in 5-10min.

para 5 - the hr crisis 1911-1914
    The 3rd hr bill (asquith's) caused the most sustained peroiod of unionist activity
    it was foreshadowed by the momenttous Parlimment act 1911 which limited the lord's veto tpto 2years, thus striping the unionists of their obstacle to hr. with the bill being passed in 1912 it seemed it would be a reality by 1914.
    Unionism became more united and hard-line, helped by the emergence of the formidable political duo of Carson and Craig who ran unionism from here on in.

WIll finish this gotta go... important reason

*quick bow and im gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well I remember when I was doing my leaving cert this and the irish one where of immense help. I know that you can buy them in greens but I'm sure eason's will have em too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

I tried to buy them in Greens, was told they were out of print?! Dying to get my hands on them though!

ctd.. para 5 - the hr crisis
    Mass rallies were organised (craigavon 1911, Balmoral 1912) the Solemn League and Covenant was signed pledging resistance to hr "by all means in thier power including force, and a call echoed by the tory leader andrew bonar law.
    physical force became more apparent through the creation of the ulster volunteer force
    The liberal position was undermined by the curragh mutiny of 1914, when it became apparent that the army could not bt depended upon to force unionists to accept hr.
    The importation of arms at larne gave the situation a more serious tone, furthered by the failure of talks at the buckingham palace conference in 1914.
    Indeed it is noticeable that between 1912-1914 unionism apparently abandons democratic avenues focussing on the military option.

Para 6- 1914-1920
    with the advent of world war 1, hr was postponed with special provision for ulster being made, the situation looked as if it was dealt with.
    Hr is eclipsed by sinn fein's calls for full independence after 16' rising, but with abstention in operation the unionists were unopposed in thier lobbying of the british gov.
    the failure of numerous attempts at talks, and with the war of independance raging - the gov of ireland act 1920 was proposed as a solution by lloyd george. Rejected in south accepted in north - very positive reversal of the seemingly hopeless unionist position in 1912.

Conclusion
    Unionism grew in strength and organisation from 86' onwards, to a cimax during the hr crisis 1911-1914.
    it led to the creation of northern ireland through the gov. of ireland act 1920.
    Unionism did advance the physical force element in ireland - the militant focus of the 1912-1914 periods introduced a stronger emphasis on violence, which de-stabilised ireland(solemn league and covenant, uvf, larne gun running)
    Nationalists responded to aggression with aggression - seing the set up of the irish volunteers and the howth gun running.
    ironically the chapter closes in 1920 with the south refusing hr, and the north proudly accepting it.

Thanking you sincerly (plagerizes essay)
    not enough paragraphs (i need 10 per essay)
    without reading it in detail, can see pargraph 5 can be split at least once!

10? tad unconventional. I stick to the mundane 8 including intro and conclusion. i better go learn that essay, typing it up didn't do much 4me. ;)

10? tad unconventional. I stick to the mundane 8 including intro and conclusion. i better go learn that essay, typing it up didn't do much 4me. ;)
    grinds teacher- absolute genius- your gaurenteed full cumultive marks, because its impossible to get 7-10 in each paragraph, so if you have 10 okish ones, you get 60/60, its just a matter of realting the info. to the title to get the 14-15/20 and bam an A1 essay, with alot less pain! (note: apx 3 paragraphs per page!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

em this is probably a really stupid question but why is everyone writing so many paragraphs? Our essay format since fifth year has been six paragraphs, each roughly an A4 sheet. Is this a bad way to go about it?

i like ur idea i really do, sounds good but i'm going with what i know. Especially the fact that what i do know i will get at least 7/10 per para.
    *fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

rosa wrote:
    em this is probably a really stupid question but why is everyone writing so many paragraphs? Our essay format since fifth year has been six paragraphs, each roughly an A4 sheet. Is this a bad way to go about it?

Yes to an extent, I was always told to write as much as possible, I did 8 paragraphs per essay and in some-ie special topic 10, and got an A1, the more you write, (thats relevant) the more you're showing off and the more marks you could get, writing 8 parargraphs is easily done in 45 min-but you need to know what you're talking about. But don't freak out if you've got less than that, sometimes you've to drum up waffly stuff, if you can get a hold of that book i was talking about...if not skank/borrow someone who went to the institute notes

• Advertisement

rosa wrote:
    depends, do you get 10/10 in each paragraph? cause if you do then thats dandy!!!
    if, like me, you find the structure restricting and have to be firm with yourself, then the way i learned in grinds is probs best!
    at this stage, don't change, go with what ya knows already!!!

Eastern Q- back up for Q.C- deceptively hard, non???

Advertisement