Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

I'm in a spot of bother and need some help folks. I have pretty much a genuine memory difficulty which makes learning extremely difficult. I am having a whore of a time studying my research topic. It is The Battle of The Bulge which is 2 pages long and I just cant memorise it, i read it everyday and write it but I cant do it, same with Geography with my field work study. Anyone got any help?

The best way to learn something like this AND write a good essay is try and stand up in front of someone, or in front of the mirror and teach the topic. Just speak about what you have learnt. This means that if you can't remember it word for word when you get into the exam you aren't totally screwed. Also it doesn't look like you copied it all out of a book, because it is more likely to be in your own words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

okay so we have listed all the topics we hav been studying, but if you had to put it down to just one per section what would it be?

mine would be

Sec A: constructive unionism

Sec B: interparty govs

Sec C: Bismarck

Sec D: Stalin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

a. davitt
    b. inter party gon'ts
    c. 3rd republic
    d. Comrade Stalin

you had to get the comrade in there didnt ye?!! :rolleyes:

you had to get the comrade in there didnt ye?!! :rolleyes:
    Da, I am havink to give respecting to great man Comrade Stalin.
    o my god, iv gone MAD and russian. NIET
    damn history
    (i do not condone Stalin and his murderous ways)

• Advertisement

Da, I am havink to give respecting to great man Comrade Stalin.
    o my god, iv gone MAD and russian. NIET
    damn history
    (i do not condone Stalin and his murderous ways)

yes but in a way you have to respect his 'no bulls**t' approach to his enemies!!

he clawed his way to the top...now that i think about it, he was alot like Tony Montana!! :D

yes but in a way you have to respect his 'no bulls**t' approach to his enemies!!

he clawed his way to the top...now that i think about it, he was alot like Tony Montana!! :D
    yeah, i see alot of myself in him, a fondness for Marxism, psychosis, and a manic need to purge people.
    seriously, i suppose that is his one redeeming feature, if you could call it that.
    Hitler had that too, Mussolini not so much, thats why he sucked

Tony Montana? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Section A - Unionist Opposition 2 hr
    Section B - INterparty gov
    Section C - France
    Section D - Hitler internal - rise and creation of TT state.

I've heard constructive unionism is likely aswel but it came up 2003, did it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

A - Carson
    B - Inter Party
    C - France
    D - Stalin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

This place has some notes that aren't half bad.

http://www.templehistory.dna.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

yeah, i see alot of myself in him, a fondness for Marxism, psychosis, and a manic need to purge people.
    seriously, i suppose that is his one redeeming feature, if you could call it that.
    Hitler had that too, Mussolini not so much, thats why he sucked

Tony Montana? :confused:

manic urge to purge people??where do i sign up?? (americans are first)

A: sinn fein (1905-1916....anythin else, and ill beat the supervisor with a shovel)
    B Interparty (but which one?!?!i learned both but better at 1st one)
    C: France (please please please)
    D: Charles DeGaulle

(didnt unionism come up last year?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Would anyone be able to give me a good essay on unionism to look at? Mine is a bit bad and I don't have time to do another one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

I'm not sure if unionism came up last year but since it's Sinn Fein's centenary this year Sinn Fein/Griffith are expected and it may the Unionists centenary aswell I'm not sure..

i dont have the papers
    but a question on the conservatives came up last year as far as i know
    is that the same thing?

Eh I don't think so the conservatives fought in their favour during that time in history(big into their British Empire at the time) maybe that's what you're thinking about a question on the Unionists would be about all the ways Ulster resisted Home Rule and the support thet got from the tories in Britain

I haven't even done Sinn Féin in class. I need a nice Unionism essay, baddd!

I don't write out the essays I just learn off my notes and read the books if I did I'd gladly help you out but my only advice is (a bit obvious) to learn it in blocks like origins of ill-feeling/uniting of the prods in Ulster, steps twoards Home Rule made in Westminster, reaction up north, reaction up south, leaders on all sides etc etc.I've found that that way works really well sorry about that but that's all the help I got for you the other thing to remember is that if you do decide to do it some of it you probably already know which helps a lot, it's also why the 1916 rising/war of independence are good back-ups you know a lot more about them than you think

[Situation]Essays you have studied for and know come up in section a) b) and d). Section c) you can only struggle with.[/situation]

If this happens is anyone going to not bother or even just attempt at the end with that single essay that you know you can't do well in and concentrate on the other essays that you definatly know.

manic urge to purge people??where do i sign up?? (americans are first)

A: sinn fein (1905-1916....anythin else, and ill beat the supervisor with a shovel)
    B Interparty (but which one?!?!i learned both but better at 1st one)
    C: France (please please please)
    D: Charles DeGaulle

(didnt unionism come up last year?!)
    both inter party govts are tipped-you only need a paragraph on the second one cos twas only short.
    as for the purging, meet me outside Alex. on the evening of the history exam if its bad, cos aparently the head history dude/dudette is head of history there, and we can purge him/her

You may as well attempt it but obviously leave it till last. I only did four essays for the mocks and I got 75% (left out A) and my teacher told me that I should have done something it's much easier to write 5 B grade essays than 4 immaculate A ones you should definately attempt them all you'll at least get marks for your structure and you may be able to sufficiently waffle enough to surprise yourself in the factual side of things also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I knew I should have paid attention in class these past two years. I havn't even wrote a single history essay since 3rd year. Man am I in the deep end.

I knew I should have paid attention in class these past two years. I havn't even wrote a single history essay since 3rd year. Man am I in the deep end.
    Unlucky.

Only Human wrote:
    [Situation]Essays you have studied for and know come up in section a) b) and d). Section c) you can only struggle with.[/situation]

If this happens is anyone going to not bother or even just attempt at the end with that single essay that you know you can't do well in and concentrate on the other essays that you definatly know.
    did that in mocks, spent hour and a half on my special topic cos i couldnt answer anything , wrote two other essays (a and d) (got 45%, i think that was above average for my class) it pays to study people.
    maybe spend a little extra time on each essay, but leave, say 20-30 mins to give the crappy one a go

I'm lost what do you guys mean by Interparty govt's should I know this? :confused:

Interparty are Cumann na nGaedheal 1923 - 1932 and Fianna Faíl 1932 - 1938 ish... then you can do the war years too, although I'll probably not do them.

Oh it all makes sense now thank christ I thought I'd left out the most important thing on the course the way everyone was going on about that I've done those thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

interparty gov's are 1948-51 and the 2nd was 54-57 but i couldn't be arsed with the 2nd one, first all the way.

interparty gov's are 1948-51 and the 2nd was 54-57 but i couldn't be arsed with the 2nd one, first all the way.
    OMG my special topic's still taking me 40mins to write out, not including the questions. BUGGER!

both inter party govts are tipped-you only need a paragraph on the second one cos twas only short.
    as for the purging, meet me outside Alex. on the evening of the history exam if its bad, cos aparently the head history dude/dudette is head of history there, and we can purge him/her
    theyre both 3 years long...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Ok despite my ambitious study plans there's no way I'm going to cover everything I want to. Is it too risky to learn only 2 essays for section A, Davitt and Home Rule 1896-1914?

Advertisement