Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Jamey wrote:
    I did a special topic which a lot of my teachers thought was very sketchy. They corrected it grand in the mocks though, do you think they could penalise me in the real thing? Btw, the study is "Trotsky in Exile", about his life in MEXICO and his death.
    Considering he is a European figure, assasinated by a European country I'd say you would be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

If I get 45% for each essay (36%) and an A for my speciall topic (20%) that's that's a C3 in the bag. Shouldn't be too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

This talk of Special Topics not being suitable has me worried...I'm doing the political re-education in Chinese prisoner camps during the Korean War, I was told it's suitable because it's part of the Cold War, and also I have a good bit in it about British prisoners...anyone wanna put my mind at ease and clarify this please?!

Sounds a bit dodgey to me but I supose if you're teacher told you so then it's on his/her shoulders. I'm doing Rommels contribution to the atlantic wall, A.K.A Rommel's Asparagus.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

This talk of Special Topics not being suitable has me worried...I'm doing the political re-education in Chinese prisoner camps during the Korean War, I was told it's suitable because it's part of the Cold War, and also I have a good bit in it about British prisoners...anyone wanna put my mind at ease and clarify this please?!

I'm sure that would be OK, but don't take my advice cos my knowledge of history isn't exactly the best. My special topic is the foundation of the GAA. It's interesting but maybe a bit too broad...? I don't really give a f**k anyway, I'm destined to fail this crappy subject.All i can say is thank God for LCVP!!! I wish we could have done Course I, it looks much more interesting, I used to love Junior Cert history. Does anyone know who decides what course you do, I mean is it the teacher or what? Not very fair that we don't get a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 daxon

my teacher said my hiroshima essay was okey cus its in world war one

then last week a different pupil in a different school wanted to do a similar one andthe teacher said no
    so i hav to scrap it and hope some thing i know comes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

My absolute dream history paper would be:

Section A:Davitt
    Section B: Inter-Party
    Section C: France
    Section D: Franco/Hitler consolidation of power.

what do you think the chances of it happening are???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you dont do the exam you dont actually get an F do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

that sounds like some good predictions alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

If you dont do the exam you dont actually get an F do you?

I think you get an NG or maybe N/A
    Don't know for sure. But you may as well give it a lash! In our fifth year summer tests we had to write about Butt, my friend hadn't a clue so she went on and on about his alcoholism and how it affected his life. She somehow ended up getting a decent enough grade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I dont know anything though, may as well have not done the subject for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Am i screwed? I've narrowed it down to

Section A : Mick Davitt
    Section B: Both interparty governments
    Section C: 3rd french republic
    Dection D: Spanish civil war (stalin consolidation of power as backup)

More than likely. I'm just as screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

shoutman wrote:
    Am i screwed? I've narrowed it down to

Section A : Mick Davitt
    Section B: Both interparty governments
    Section C: 3rd french republic
    Dection D: Spanish civil war (stalin consolidation of power as backup)

no you look good to be but you might want to prepare something for section a, its an unpredictable section imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 love_the_chocol

Okay people help me:
    am i fooked??
    Section a: Ulster Unionism, land question and davitt
    Section b: Northern Ireland 1922-66, interparty govts
    section c: France, eastern Question
    Section d: Mmm, stalin, weimar germany

Help me!!! :(

Okay people help me:
    am i fooked??
    Section a: Ulster Unionism, land question and davitt
    Section b: Northern Ireland 1922-66, interparty govts
    section c: France, eastern Question
    Section d: Mmm, stalin, weimar germany

Help me!!! :(

your not fooked at all!

Hmm, im nearly postive on this one but it has to be related in a major way to the irish or european course. If u doing this, you'll need to say how in a nyway, it affected europe

thank u chilly willy, just need to learn them all now, hahhahaaa :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

daxon wrote:
    my teacher said my hiroshima essay was okey cus its in world war one

Oh no no no no no

thank u chilly willy, just need to learn them all now, hahhahaaa :eek:

dont worry im in the same boat! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well it seems you have all learned and prepared alot. I'm still trying to remember my researh topic to be fair, its a **** to learn.

And 3 A4 pages is plenty, six pages is just sucking dick, 3 pages of good work is fine. And some topics are longer then others.

I have learned kinda nothing but have a good idea of most, but cant be specific, i kinda know

Section A : Nothing
    Section B : Fiana Fail, dismantling the treaty, cumman na gaedhal
    Section C : World war 1,2 causes,effects changes in warfare, Germany , France
    Section D : Stalin Hitler
    Section E : 3 A4 pages on the battle of the bulge.

To be fair I'm just going to cram and probably scrape a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Tomorrow's paper

Section A
    Economic & Social Problems 1870-1923
    Michael Davitt 1846-1906
    Home Rule 1891-1918
    Carson and Craig (part played up to 1920)
    The Quest for Independence

Section B
    W.T. Cosgrave 1880-1965
    Anglo Irish Reltations 1923-1939
    The Irish Economy 1932-1947
    Ireland and World War 2
    Social and Cultural developments in Ireland 1945-1966

Section C
    Conflict & Division in France 1871-1914
    The Eastern Question 1870-1914
    Russian Foreign Policy 1870-1917
    Britain 1870-1914
    World War 1 (cause of)

Section D
    Collective Security 1919-1939
    Benity Mussolini (benefits to Italy)
    Spanish Civil War (account for victory of Franco)
    The U.S.'s involvement in European Affairs 1939-1949
    The Arts in Europe 1945-1966

joke

Randomfella, are u some super genius who has xray vision r somethin to see whats on this paper. And stalin has to come up in section D. That papers way too hard for the last year of the course

ok this one should be easier

A
    A1. "During the period 1875-1886, Parnell came to dominate Irish politics and built up a strong and tightly disciplined party". Explain how this came about. (80)
    A2. Outline the origins of the Sinn Fein Party and account for its success in the 1918 General Election. (80)
    A3. Describe the changes that took place in the system of land ownership in Ireland between 1870 and 1903 and assess the part played by Davitt in those changes.
    (80) A4. Discuss reactions to the Anglo-Irish Treaty in the Dail and in the country from its signing on December 6th. 1921 up to the outbreak of the civil war. (80)
    A5. Evaluate the contribution of Michael Collins (1890-1922) to Irish affairs. (80)
    B
    B1. Discuss the part played by the Churches in the affairs of Ireland both North and South between 1922 and 1966. (80)
    B2. Treat of developments in agriculture and industry in the period 1922-1939. (80)
    B3. Discuss the various ways in which the Fianna Fail government under DeValera began to dismantle the Anglo-Irish Treaty between 1932 and 1937. (80)
    B4. Treat of life in Ireland both North and South during World War II. (80)
    B5. "Far from being a caretaker Taoiseach, Sean Lemass brought about political and economic change which transformed Ireland. He was both a mould-breaker and a mould-maker". Discuss. (80)
    C
    C1. Analyse the part played by Bismarck in the history of the German empire 1871-1890. (80)
    C2. How successful was the Third French Republic during the period 1870-1914 in dealing with the major problems confronting it. (80)
    C3. "In the end, Tzar Nicholas II of Russia was responsible for his own downfall". Discuss. (80)
    C4. "World War I lasted longer and was far more destructive than was anticipated at its outset". Discuss. (80)
    C5. Why did the Weimar Republic in Germany fail? (80)
    D
    D1. What factors allowed the Nazis to stay in power in Germany between 1933 and 1939 ? (80)
    D2. Describe and account for the policy of appeasement pursued by the British government in the 1930's. (80)
    D3. "The Cold War was a confrontation between the western capitalist way of life and the eastern communist way of life". Discuss. (80)
    D4. Trace the origins and development of the European Economic Community 1945-1966. (80)
    D5. Treat of the domestic and foreign policies pursued by successive British governments during the period 1945-1966.
    (80)
    E
    E1. Ireland, 1868 -1966.
    Research Topic
    (i) Write an account of the topic in Irish history, 1868-1966, of which you have made a special study but which you have not used in your answering of Sections A and B. (60)
    (ii) Give TWO reasons, based on Irish history, why you considered that this topic merited special study. (6)
    (iii) Name the source/s you consulted for information on your special topic and write a critical review of ONE of those named sources. (14)
    E2. Essay
    Write an essay on ONE of the following:
    (i) Michael Davitt's involvement in Irish affairs.
    (ii) Arthur Griffith 1871-1922.
    (iii) Education in Ireland, North and South 1920-1966.
    (iv) Fine Gael Party 1933-1957.
    Irish Unionism 1920-1966. (80)
    E3. Europe, 1870-1966
    Research Topic
    (i) Write an account of the topic in European history, 1870-1966, of which you have made a special study but which you have not used in your answering of Sections C and D. (60)
    (ii) Give TWO reasons, based on European history, why you considered that this topic merited special study. (6)
    (iii) Name the source/s you consulted for information on your special topic and write a critical review of ONE of those named sources. (14)
    E4. Essay
    Write an essay on ONE of the following:
    (i) The scramble for colonies by European nations up to 1914.
    (ii) Parliamentary and socio-economic reforms in Britain 1870-1914.
    (iii) Success/Failure at Versailles Conference 1919.
    (iv) Vichy France.
    The United Nations up to 1966. (80)

you'd think that that wud b easier, its not.. where u gettin all this from???
    if it was my perfect paper, this is what wud come up: sec a:ulster unionism Sec B: Northern Ireland 1922-66
    Sec c: Eastern Question
    Sec D: Stalin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Hmm, im nearly postive on this one but it has to be related in a major way to the irish or european course. If u doing this, you'll need to say how in a nyway, it affected europe

Well it's basically all about the effects on United Nations prisoners, namely American and British so hopefully....!

Hope all goes well 4 ya!!! :) Im just screwed, i have to learn off the business and history course by tomorrow!! I really dont know how im gonna do it!!! :mad:

meh i wouldn't want any of your essays to come up, i mean i don't mind if they do as long as mine come up! ;)

A
    Education 1868-1920
    Land Question 1868-1914
    Unionism in Ireland 1885-1920
    P Pearse
    Sinn Féin
    B
    Cosgrave and Government 1923-1932
    Irish Economy 1932-1966
    Ireland 1932-1939
    Irish Labour Party 1922-1966
    Ireland, North and South 1939-1966
    C
    French 3rd Rep. 1870-1914
    Germany 1870-1914
    Russia in WWI
    WWI 1914-18
    Versailles Settlement 1919
    D
    Weimar Republic 1919-1933
    Fascism in Italy under Mussolini
    USSR 1924-1941
    Britain 1945-1966
    Charles de Gaulle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

honestly where are you getting this from.

• Advertisement

Again where r ya gettin all this info from??? ireland north and south came up last year, aint gonna come up again

Advertisement