Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft in RDS

Options
  • 03-05-2005 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

I am so annoyed! It's my first exam in UCD and I leave my bag in the big pile outside the exam hall in the RDS.
    Come out 3 hours later and it's not there. Checked all around. It's gone.
    What kind of people steal other people's bags during exam time? It was in the middle of a pile probably under other bags with nothing too valuable inside it (nothing worth stealing) but had important stuff in it nonetheless.
    My bag was the only bag stolen. Why would someone do this??!!
    Am gonna put up signs tomorrow in the RDS about it. Maybe someone took it by accident or something. I dunno...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

That SUCKS!

So sorry!
    Perhaps it was taken by mistake & will be returned?
    Never know.

Best of luck though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭lateasever

one of those things you just knew was gonna happen to someone

f*ckin exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

The security in the RDS is quite bad, but I never realised it was this bad. Thanks for posting, at least it's a warning. I do hope you get your stuff back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

Rach...did you have any important notes for other exams, or anything in your bag that maybe we could help you out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thanks but all I had was my purse with no money in it (had laser card which was cancelled), notes for exam I just had, and a general notebook, mainly with 1st Stats notes in it. But the book for Stats is great, so I'm ok there.
    I'm mainly annoyed someone stole it when there was nothing really worth stealing. Why mine? Surely loads of others had better stuff to steal in their bags.
    I'll be posting a notice with a pic of the bag tomorrow in RDS and offering a REWARD! for person who gives it back. I'm really hoping that someone took it by mistake. It's a Jansport one and lots of people have them so maybe that happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

i robbed it thanks for the pencil and the rubber they'll come in handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RachG wrote:
    I am so annoyed! It's my first exam in UCD and I leave my bag in the big pile outside the exam hall in the RDS.
    Come out 3 hours later and it's not there. Checked all around. It's gone.
    What kind of people steal other people's bags during exam time? It was in the middle of a pile probably under other bags with nothing too valuable inside it (nothing worth stealing) but had important stuff in it nonetheless.
    My bag was the only bag stolen. Why would someone do this??!!
    Am gonna put up signs tomorrow in the RDS about it. Maybe someone took it by accident or something. I dunno...

Sorry to hear that. I was worried that something like that would happen to my bag. I just shoved it under one of the benches and fortuantely it was there when I went to get it. Hopefully you'll find your bag Rach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Ouch, sorry about that. Good thing nothing of interest was nicked, unlike someone else. About a week ago I saw signs round campus 'Final year student's bag and notes stolen from library'. Poor guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah I saw that sign too, it's still up so they probably never found it. How much would that suck? I dont understand how somebody could be so mean and steal somebody's notes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Grr stupid evil ppl.Well at least you didn't loose notes for ur next exam....little bit of comfort...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Pick a place for your bag, make it look inconspicuous enough and try leaving it with your friends' ones. It really does suck tho', and it's the last thing you need when you've an exam the next day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'd say it was taken by accident tbh, I'm sure there were other bags with more valuable stuff in them that would have actually been worth stealing.

The person who took it must be a real arsehole though, for not trying to contact you (if that's the case). Did you ask at the RDS. That head of examinations guy seems pretty sound, maybe he could help you? How, I don't know....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

beanyb wrote:
    I dont understand how somebody could be so mean and steal somebody's notes!

one of the lads notes were robbed from the lab last year. They were returned 3 days later and he presumed he's simply overlooked them for a few days. Then on the day of the exams he spots a group of ten or so with his notes photocopied. They were amazing notes distilling the course down to 20 pages. Cvnts will do crazy things at exam time in the panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

uberwolf wrote:
    one of the lads notes were robbed from the lab last year. They were returned 3 days later and he presumed he's simply overlooked them for a few days. Then on the day of the exams he spots a group of ten or so with his notes photocopied. They were amazing notes distilling the course down to 20 pages. Cvnts will do crazy things at exam time in the panic.
    F**ckers! Did he go up to them and challenge them about it? I would have gone mental at them. It really pisses me off when people are too lazy to do any work themselves and just expect someone else to do it for them.

Oh and Rach sorry to hear about your bag, I'd agree with breadmonkey though, someone probably took it by mistake and will prob hand it back in the next time they're in the RDS. Did you have your name/email or mobile number on anything in the bag?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I know. I hate it when people just take my stuff when i've actually put a bit of work into condensing them down.

My student card was in my purse. I didn't know we had to bring them into the exam, so that's why it was there. My name and course was on my notebooks too, and there was a spare exam card in there too. I've also put up some posters in the RDS, so if anyone did take it by accident, they can easily bring it back.
    And I reported it to the Head of Exams guy too, in case someone hands it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

It might be worth putting some posters around campus too, just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

the trick is have a crappy bag with holes, and then bury it under posh looking bags, with phones sticking out of them. my sh*tsack has never been stolen.

i find the lack of security reassuring, if engineering doesn't work out, i plan to live by harvesting peoples bags from RDS once a year and selling them back to the owners. or selling the notes within if they're any good. mmmm, easy street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

theCzar wrote:
    the trick is have a crappy bag with holes, and then bury it under posh looking bags, with phones sticking out of them. my sh*tsack has never been stolen.

Exactly what I did-God bless the huge hole and bizarre smell from my bag! I saw your poster today in the RDS Rach (I presume it was yours) hope you get your stuff back!

Weirdest thing happened... Another bag, exactly the same as mine, got stolen today. The mother of the girl rang me up after seeing my poster as she thought I had taken it, thinking it was mine. But I didn't. So now that's two pink Jansport bags stolen in two days. Those two are the only two to have been stolen. Odd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Someone obviously has a strange fetish for pink jansport bags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

UCD always has been a strange place. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭horsesnout

i robbed it thanks for the pencil and the rubber they'll come in handy :D

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I had about ten ciggies nicked out of my bag yesterday.Kind of puzzling why they didn't take the other five in the pack.....

RachG wrote:
    Weirdest thing happened... Another bag, exactly the same as mine, got stolen today. The mother of the girl rang me up after seeing my poster as she thought I had taken it, thinking it was mine. But I didn't. So now that's two pink Jansport bags stolen in two days. Those two are the only two to have been stolen. Odd...

pink jansport bags eh?

1) Buy a new pink jansport bag
    2) Sew a tracking device into it
    3) Track down these fiendish bag gnomes!

seriously though, I hope the bag getting stolen hasn't affected your exams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

beanyb wrote:
    Someone obviously has a strange fetish for pink jansport bags...
    Well clearly lateasever has decided enough is enough, and he's gonna get rid of all Jansport bags by nicking them all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

pink jansport bags eh?

1) Buy a new pink jansport bag
    2) Sew a tracking device into it
    3) Track down these fiendish bag gnomes!

seriously though, I hope the bag getting stolen hasn't affected your exams

3).... it's always the Gnomes... the trouble I have with the little bu##ers. It would put the heart crossways in you. But I'm working on a cure for them... watch this space....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭anna20

you poor thing.that is so annoying.my friends bag was stolen a couple of weeks ago wit all her notes in it but thankfully it turned up a few days later. you never know, u mite b really lucky. i saw your signs walking into my exam on saturday morning. i hope its all sorted out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

When i got outta my seat to use that toilet in a van thing the guy attending said i shouldn't have my mp3 player or phone... are they providing any lockers or anything where we might be able to keep our stuff without fear of this **** happening?

• Advertisement

I think they've adopted a "leave it at home" policy.

Just put your mp3 player/phone in a pocket in your jacket, hang the jacket on the back of your seat and you should have no problems.

Advertisement