Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Graphics Card?

• 03-05-2005 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Well, I must buy a new graphics card
    Here

Can someone tell me some advice please about cards. I had a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm not that much into games really, just have Call Of Duty & Flight Simulator 2004. I'm also selling this PC soon to my brother so I'm looking for something relative cheap but not relatively crap.

Been looking at Komplett and found these cards.
    This one is only E43.50 Here
    This one E29 Here

Any advice very welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Even the 9200 would be hard pushed to play CoD i'd say. But it should manage it. Just don't expect it to play any new game, unless its at 640x480 with all details off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

A 9600 is the min you would want. Not the SE version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm thinking so of the PowerColor Radeon 9600PRO 256MB DDR AGP8X,ATI 9600PRO, DVI-I, TV-Out, Retail. Here

Should be similar enough to my 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Stay away form both of them cards if possible... If u have more money i would go for a 9600Pro..or non-Pro if u want. IT is a good start and should play most games but newer 1's will be a bit slowish...

If u go for 9600 256Mb is not really needed. It wont advance anything for you...the core i think wouldnt be able to utilitise the full 256Mb so would be useless. Save ure self some €€€ and get 128MB. Up to u .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300465&cks=PRL

radeon 9550. €72

Close enough to performance to a 9600/9600pro.

Best card for under €100 imho. Worth having a look at. Better than the other 2 anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is this card good? my crappy little dell only has PCI slots: 256

Its the best you can get for an PCI slot. But it will not play any of the current gen games.

If you can find a 128mb version you should get that as the extra will be of no use.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its the best you can get for an PCI slot. But it will not play any of the current gen games.

If you can find a 128mb version you should get that as the extra will be of no use.
    really - damn it. bang goes my idea to upgrde my computer. no point splashing the cash on it if its not good enough. damn it all. :( :mad: :( :mad:

Ciaran500 wrote:

so is it either don't play the new games or buy a new PC? no PCI card be good enough?

They will struggle to play current games at the lowest setting. TBH if your PC only has a PCI port then its probable the rest of your PC wouldn't be up to the job either.

• Advertisement

its got a p4 2.4 processor and 256 ram - was going to up the ram to a gig - shan't bother now - simply save up for a PC. know anywhere that sell food ones at a decent price - i don't want a monitor Would this be good: PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Ciaran500 wrote:
    They will struggle to play current games at the lowest setting. TBH if your PC only has a PCI port then its probable the rest of your PC wouldn't be up to the job either.

Ive seen 3GHZ/512mb P4 machines with no AGP :( E-Machines do it all the time!

After some googling it turns out fastest PCI can is the Nvidia 5700LE. This should play current games at acceptable frame rates. (About 30-40 fps on UT2004 at normal and 1024x768)

But you would also need to upgrade the ram if you want to play games on that. 512mb would be the min needed. It will be about €25 for 256mb or €50 for 512mb.
    http://www.shop4memory.com (located in Celbridge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jammer wrote:
    Ive seen 3GHZ/512mb P4 machines with no AGP :( E-Machines do it all the time!

That's just SO WRONG. :(

Well, I got the Radeon 9550 256MB. I very happy. No more green lines. My games are playing well, I actually don't see a difference.

There was an extra molex connection on my last card. It looks like its connected to my dvd drive. There is no place for this connection on this card. Does anyone know what this was for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

To power the fan

kdjac

Thanks KdjaC
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

If there was a molex on your 9800Pro then it was because a card of that power needs more power than it gets from the agp slot and therefore you must connect one of the hard drive/dvdrom type power connectors to it. The connector for the fan power on most video cards would be a much smaller connector than a molex. The reason there is none on your new card is it's a less powerful graphics processor and doesn't need the extra juice.
    molex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Tauren wrote:
    anywhere that sell food ones at a decent price?
    my sig ;)

Advertisement