Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to Buy

Options
  • 03-05-2005 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey,I jsut got a loan and in a bit of a problem finding anywhere decent with the loan I have been given. It seems all thats in my price range is areas that have a bit of name for them selves so I want to get advice on each area where to go and where to stay away
    first of all
    finglas is there any quieter parts i have been told st.magrets and lanesborough are fairly ok any one have any experience of this areas??
    Inichore- been told just to stay away from st.magrets flats and every where else is fairly quiet???
    crumlin-??
    ballyfermot-drumfinn i heard is ok

clonshaugh-
    any areas of coolok which would be quieter

any advice would be appreciated
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

In Coolock the area between the Kilmore Road and the Malahide Road is the best but the price matches that. Clonshaugh is pretty decent area for the prices and I think it wll improve. Coolock has a particularly bad name and I think the area may get worse as there are still a lot of teenagers growing up.

Don't know Ballyfermot or Crumlin at all

I would suggest Cabra
    In Cabra try to get an ex corpo property on the main roads as opposed to in the estates. It will rise in price more even though it will be noiser. I really think Cabra is going to shoot up in price in the next few years especially next year. Cabra has come to the point where it might gentrify like Marino did. I think Donnycarney is begining to do this now and prices have shot up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

can I ask you how much you've been give to work with?
    I live at one end of ballyfermot, (on way into city centre, I have a Chapelizod address, but it's nearer to Ballyer)
    it's in an apartment complex and it's not the worst place to live
    donno where drumfinn is though or what it's like..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

hiya,im working with 230k looking for a 2 bed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

then you are indeed limited to a degree
    I would suggest to you that you go visit the places you are interested at night time, round the weekend if possible, if you are going to see anything that worries you, that would be the time.
    Also, don't be afraid to ask potential neighbours what it's like to live there.
    I am buying a house at present, but only after knocking on a few doors on the surrounding street, people will be honest with you and it will give you an idea on whither to buy or not.

Eoghan25 wrote:
    hiya,im working with 230k looking for a 2 bed

You are extremely limited. Does it bother you if it is an appartment? THere are some great deals to get. You could get a realitively nice appartment in the city centre but parking would be a problem if you drive and service charges can be a pain.
    That house in North Strand does look that bad if you are set on a house. What was it like inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

c if u can raise that a little to 260, and find a house in clonsilla mayb a 3 bed, and rent a room in it, to cover the difference.

no i dont mind if it is an apartment i cant go 260 as it is shared ownership
    loan and that also limited me to the areas covered by dublin city council clonsilla is out
    cheers

house in north strand was very boxy would not be really intrested
    an it been classed as 2 bed was a joke the 2nd room was tiny it was barely able to fit the small childs cot it had in it....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was going to buy a house in Crumlin last year, on Sundrive Road. It's not a bad area, it has it's problems (vandals in the park etc) but where doesn't? Sundrive is kind of expensive, but there are 2 bedroom houses on the roads off it that should be in your price range, the city end is increasingly popular as it is 1&a half to 2 miles to Stephens Green, a fairly do-able walk, or it's only 10-15 minutes from the Luas station in Rialto (this is up-ping the prices since last year).

The buses to the city aren't bad either. The houses are a bit boring looking on the outside, but they usually have defined, kitchen, dining and living area's plus a decent sized garden, front and rear, usually with driveway/ the potential for it. Any that I saw had 2 double bedrooms. The main draw back being that they usually had a downstairs bathroom, but you no longer need planning permission to add that extention which you could do at a later stage when you could afford it.

Sundrive park is quite large, and I went around it a bit and never saw anything that bothered me, There is a Dunnes and a Tesco's on Crumlin Rd, a couple of bars, a credit union, takeaways, a centra, greengrocers, electrical stores and a bookies on Sundrive Rd. There are a number of schools in the area, if you have kids/ or are planning them.

All in all it's not a bad place. I ended up not buying there as there was a problem with the neighbours extention being over the boundary and a potential legal nightmare if I tried to build the extention I wanted. But I spent a lot of time there and would still consider it as a possible place to buy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know what it's like except I am slightly more limited with my upper price limit then you are,and affordable housing shared ownership aren't really an option for me.

What I would advise is checking uut the estate agents websites,myhome.ie and daft every day and sometimes nice things come up,then make an appointment to view,people like dng will let u view in the late evening at 7 to facilitate people who work.

If the house is nice go to the local garda station and jsut ask them abou the block of apartments or the road on which the hosue is on,so far I have found them to be failry honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Coolock "village" is actually ok, the area between the Kilmore Rd and the main rd. Also moving slightly further out is not bad either. The Cabra suggestion is good - like Marino, the area is starting to "mature" and you might find bargains. Though I think formerly tough areas like Kilmore West, Kilbarrack and the back of Northside are maturing fast and might be ok to live in.

Check out the websites everyday - I'm sure there are bargains coming up from time to time you might find.

shoegirl wrote:
    Coolock "village" is actually ok, the area between the Kilmore Rd and the main rd. Also moving slightly further out is not bad either. The Cabra suggestion is good - like Marino, the area is starting to "mature" and you might find bargains. Though I think formerly tough areas like Kilmore West, Kilbarrack and the back of Northside are maturing fast and might be ok to live in.

Check out the websites everyday - I'm sure there are bargains coming up from time to time you might find.
    With the money he has it looks like he can't afford the likes of Coolock village. If buying a house for that money close to Dublin you can only really afford the bad areas in reality. The areas may mature but it takes a long time Donnycarney is getting there but that's about 60 years after it being built. Cabra is a little behind but with the appatment blocks being built there soon the prices will go up. SSIA next year would make me nervous as a first time buyer.
    An appartment is really the best option IMHO.
    The other option is to move further out to the likes of Clonsilla

Advertisement