Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Certificate/Diploma at Senior Collge Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 03-05-2005 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I know I posted on here about one of the colleges, but I have changed my mind about going there. I am still considering my options, as I don't want to make a mistake and go into the wrong course (I did that before and it was not a pleasant experience)

I definately want to make something of myself, I am tired of the jobs I am getting and want a better direction in life. I already have a record of achievment award in some modules in Office Administration, so all I get are call centre jobs at the moment, most of which are temporary. Which is not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I thought about going abroad to work, but to be honest I will probabaly get only restaurant jobs or even worse I won't be able to get a job unless I get a decent qualification first.
    I am probably going through some sort of quarter life crisis. :rolleyes:
    So anyway rant over...

I have been looking towards the Senior College Dun Laoghaire, for the Certificate/Diploma in Business Studies.
    I know its accredited by the ICM and you have a good chance of moving into the BA in Business at University of Wales after the Diploma.

Has anyone from this board went there? Did you find the course any good? I am 25, are there many mature students there? What are the teachers like etc? Did you get more opportunities for jobs after this course?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know anyone who went there, so I had to ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I did multimedia in Scd,

I found the teachers good,the facilities were good and my overall experience there was excellent.

I did not go on to Wales but a good number of the class did and got their degrees.

If you are unsure maybe do an evening course there or in another college for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Yule3

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided I am going to go ahead, and go to SCD for the day course as it seems to be one of the better business courses out there. There are more modules in it than the night course etc. Most of the night courses seem pretty basic compared to this one.
    I already sent in my application form and am waiting for a reply. (Fingers crossed I get in)

I have another question for you about it, if thats ok. Since you already went there I thought you may know ?

Do you know if the classes go on past 3pm? I am asking because I have a part-time evening job and am going to fit the classes around it.

Also, are there many mature students in the college? Not that it matters really to be honest. But am just curious :P

Umm thats about it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes there were plenty of mature students there when I was there,
    I often had classes until 5 but not every day.

Thanks for the reply, it helped a lot. :D

Take Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well not too sure about DL but if Wales is an option perhaps you should consider it. I was studying somewhere else in Dublin (IT course) and moved over to Wales this year.

Work wise its the best decision I could of ever made. I'm only a second year but I have a industrial placement. The amount of companies over here that offer challenging roles is incredible. The pay isn't half bad either:). There are even companies in Ireland that will look to hire people from UK universities as opposed to Irish as they are year long where as in Ireland they are generally 6 months.

This may not seem like a huge thing as there is work in Ireland but this then gives you an almost guarnteed graduate position assumeing you don't screw up :)

• Advertisement

Really? I did not know that.
    I really want to have better choice workwise, so it seems this is a good decision I am making. (At last lol!)

I definately want to go to Wales after this course. Are you in the Swansea Institute of Higher Education? Any ideas on whats its like? Thats the place I would be transfering to, if I am sucessful in this course. But I think the BA would be from University of Wales? (Not too sure)

Do you like it over in Wales? How you finding it?

Advertisement