Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aquarium

• 03-05-2005 9:43pm
    Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭

hey guys bought a new 80 litre tank and need you help.
    i got the temp and the fluvul 3 filter. ive fitted both but about the filter i have a problem. is the blue part were the air comes out supposed to be on the top of the water/tank just under the water level or is it supposed to be down the bottom turned upside down? just cause ove had them installed 6 hours now and thee is a lot of ait bubbles in the tank. also how long do i have to wait to get fish ? the guy in the petshop said 2 weeks? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

hiya

http://store1.yimg.com/I/worldpets_1843_16435615 may help a bit,

If by the blue part you mean the nossle Where the filtered water Comes out that usually lies just below the Water line, Any Section that seem to gurgle ( for lack of a better word,) are usually air lines that attach to the Filter and it sucks in air to airate your tank more,

From what I have Seen air bubbles are usually your tank settling in, especially if you basically dumped buckets of water in one after the other, the water needs time To settle ( usually 3 days)

I have put really hardy fish in after 3 days, using going tropical or cold water?

There are many tropical you could use,

But you might want to look into information about the tank cycling, and ammonia cycle and basic water chemistry, Its not hard to learn and can save you a lot of hassle and dead fish,

hope this helps.

Rob

• Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭revo

im going for extoic the clown fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have a read through my posts in this thread about cycling and dont be tempted to add fish to early of they will die.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248856

so your going or Marine? or clown loachs?

As in salt water,

Fair play havnt Done this myself its a lot harder to Set up and you need protain skimmers and lots of other equipment

Best of luck Dude

Rob

huh i didnt know this ? i just thought you put them in like? what fish can i get those nemo fish ?

• Advertisement

my tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

There is alot of work setting up a marine tank and a bit of work to keep it going.I think it might be better for you to try tropical fish (ie platys,guppies etc) for 6 months or a year just till you get used to to testing for amonia,nitrate levels in your tank you will understand then the way tank behaves in high filtration,direct sunlight,leaving tank lights on,cleaning fish waste,overfeeding etc.Sorry to put all this on you but in my opinon starting out with a marine tank will end up costing you alot of money for some really cool looking ......dead......fish.do a bit of research on the net about marine and you will see what i mean.

what tempm shud my fluval heater be??

Nice tank,

Marine tanks are expensive and hard to Set up and you need really good filtration + setup and a fair bit of knowledge and Cash.

Try tropical as chiclid child said, there Are many amazing fish out there tropical And so Many colours try some african chiclids, maybe research them first as some will get really big,

For Sure get used to water test kits and ph levels and ammonia and nitrites etc, its important and I know its sounds crazy but different fish are suited to different water setups, so if your looking into fish there are many sites Around the net that will tell you everything you need to know about a particular fish and what water conditions it needs,

Best of luck

temp ? please? see above

• Advertisement

Depends on fish really some like higher some like lower

on average 26 27 degress celcius 78 to 80 Farnheit is best

Rob

ok guys thx for that i was going to buy fish tomorrow. but the tank seems very murky/dirty ?? would this be that the filter hasnt cleaned it yet or what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

the tank is still "cycling" it goes through a "Murky" period - you aint really supposed to put fish in until the tank has fully established itself, but i used to keep coldwater (gold) fish & put em in early with no casualties.
    there are loads of articles about cycling on the net try this for starters

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

hey guys. i got some fish anyway haha i couldnt resist. but they just keep staying in he corner at the heater whats up with that ??

do a water test

PH?
    Ammonia?
    Nitrite?

And even Nitrate?

Can you tell me what these are?

Rob

You shouldnt have got any fish yet as you were advised.
    If your fish survive it will be a miracle. Your tank must be cycled before introducing your fish unless using a few hardy fish to cycle.

Cycling is basicly when bacteria developes in your filter and tank which break down ammonia which is a product of your fishes waste, Ammonia is turned into nitrIte and then into nitrAte.
    Ammonia and nitrIte are highly toxic to your fish and will kill them if the tank isnt cycled.
    NitrAte is harmless to fish in small quantity's and should be keep at a low level by regular water changes.

Remember when cleaning filters use aquarium water as tap water has chrorine in it which will kill the bacteria you are trying to harvest.
    Get a bottle of Stress coat to add to new water added to the aquarium which will take out all the chrorine and other harmfull substances. :D

yo guys looks like you were right but they werent to oexpensive anyway. all my fish are dead bar the siamese one. woke up this morning and they were all in the corner near the filter soem stuck in the filter. local fish guy says could have been shock doesnt reckon it was the tank . what do use think.. ill listen too use now haha

It could have been shock but i think so. I would say they died from Ammonia poisoning.
    If you want to keep fish properly without them dieing every week follow the basic guide lines posted above.

Remember to not over feed your fish, I only feed mine every second day and they are all big and healthy. Food will pollute your water if over feeding takes place.

Ask your LFS (local fish shop) for some hardy fish and buy some test kits to monitor your water quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

LOL i knew you were goin to buy fish, You could tell you were dying to get 'em, but listen to the advice you get here, Even i after two weeks stocked my tank which was a little too early for the types of fish i got and ended up loosin some.

Seriously take the advice your gettin here and you wont go wrong!! ;)

so should i empty the tank of water and start again or just leave the fish i have in there for 3 - 4 weeks with filter on and see how things go ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I would leave them in the tank for now don,t forget to change 20% of your water every week

I would leave them in the tank for now don,t forget to change 20% of your water every week

the best advice ive got of this site

Advertisement