Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Transferring from 8mm to dvd /mini dv

• 03-05-2005 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows any good (but not neccessarily too expensive) places I could go to to get some 8mm/super 8 film transferred onto mini dv or DVD? I could also settle for betacam SP but the former would make life easier. Starting a new documentary on the area I live in soon and I want to transfer the film footage for this one professionally rather than mini dv pointing at image on a piece of white paper stuck to the wall, which is what I did for the last one. Results were ok but not that great. Not sure how much will be getting transferred but if anyone can suggest somewhere and maybe how much per minute of film, that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

These guys do it apparently.

Contact Marc / Gearoid
    Address 14 Main Street
    Blackrock Dublin
    Telephone +353 (0)1 288 5419
    Fax +353 (0)1 288 2120
    Website www.cvsgroup.com

But their website doesn't work.

John

Search on Google for "Telecine in Ireland"

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Thanks for that John. I might try out that place in Blackrock. I know a few people in Windmill Lane. Never thought of trying there but I reckon they'd be quite expensive!

Well "Proper" Telecine-ing is expensive. Especially if they grade the film. They tend to offer a cheap ass version where they will stick it through, and you get what you get. You could do it yourself if you had a projector. Project the image on a wall, then get close with a camera and record it.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, the last video I made contained some film footage; mainly 8mm and Super 8, a little B/W 35mm from the early 60's and also a little bit of 16mm.
    Anyway, the 35mm came on VHS tape and had obviously been transferred properly as the quality was fine. I cleaned up the picture as much as I could and added a bit of sepia to give it a bit of "color". There was also some super8 and 16mm of the Hill of Howth tram from the 50's, all in color. This was all on VHS and quality was really fantastic (considering it was VHS) - colors were nice and rich and clarity was excellent.
    However, the remainder 8mm and super8 was transferred onto the pc myself by your method above. I used a 3 chip camera pointing at the image projected onto white paper stuck onto the wall. Pic was ok but not nearly as good as when I viewed the projected image live with my own eyes. When viewed live, the super8 film was as good as the Hill of Howth footage I had but when put onto the pc via a 3-chip camera and firewire, it was a little disappointing, TBH. Image was very soft, resolution quite bad and obviously pic was a bit flicky due to the different frame rates. I used manual exposure and white balance.
    I'll probably want half a dozen reels max transferred and the budget will be around a couple of hundred, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

not got a clue about different old formats but is 8mm the reels that were about 3 minutes long that were common in the 70s? just asking coz my parents have got loads in the loft that would be nice to get transferred onto dvd as a surprise since its years since we had something to play them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Besprechen wrote:
    not got a clue about different old formats but is 8mm the reels that were about 3 minutes long that were common in the 70s? just asking coz my parents have got loads in the loft that would be nice to get transferred onto dvd as a surprise since its years since we had something to play them on.

Yup, the old film 8mm in diameter. Go to the guys in blackrock cheap and cheerful, they should transfer to VHS or Mini dv don't know about DvD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

got some 8mm transfered to Mini DV in the Blackrock place , turned out well considering the age of the film ,get a proper quote as they overcharged me a little I thought based on initial rough quote, going to edit it into some sort of sequence and then burn to DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi All,

The video copy centre in Gardiner st (8550586) do it onto all formats (not digibeta though) nice n cheap, not telecine though. ALso do standards conversion and editing etc.Tell them Any sent ya

Regards

Andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Try also Moondance Productions at
    http://www.moondance.tv/

they did a bit for a doc i was working on a bit back!

• Advertisement
Advertisement