Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 and Xbox 360

Options
  • 03-05-2005 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment, its crystal clear to everyone without argument that the Xbox is far more powerful then the Ps2.

But as the current specs are now, which console is more powerful, the ps3 or the 360?

At a basic level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't think we really know. Other than the "1000 times faster than a normal PC" marketing bull we haven't heard what the cell is capable of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who cares, it's the games that are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Who cares, it's the games that are important.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The PS3 is going to be more powerful if one is to believe the hype about the Cell. I personally think there will be little to seperate them considering they both are using next generation graphics cards from ATI or Nvidia..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Until it actually turns your room into the game like the Holodeck I'm not going to hold my breath.

Of course the next 6 months are going to be Sony and MS dissing each others box's. In the end everyone knows that it is the games that counts and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

And all the Nintendo fanboys will be saying the revolution is the best because it has the latest zelda, mario, mario kart, woooo.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wouldn't it be the best if you like those games though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

BloodBath wrote:
    And all the Nintendo fanboys will be saying the revolution is the best because it has the latest zelda, mario, mario kart, woooo.

Why do you always bring up the same stupid argument. :rolleyes:

Nintendo is not only Mario and Zelda games, and when they do make them they are normally pretty good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Wait another few weeks till after E3 and then decide when you have seen both the XBox360 and the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

As I posted in another thread, everyone is going on about the preformance of the cell in comparrision to the xbox core. They are virtually the same thing people, the main difference being that sony are marketing everything around the cell and everyone is now in a frenzy about it!!!

Oh in case your questioning, i used to work in chip manufacturing for ibm, the company making both boxes cpu's and still know most guys that work there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

another new console war = another 6 months of fanyboys flaming topics on boards....yay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

all ill say is remember the hype over the "emotion" engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

madrab wrote:
    all ill say is remember the hype over the "emotion" engine...
    That must make you feel so old at this stage.

16-bit tbh. That was the big one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Screw polygons! Mode 7 forever!

Actually mode 7 still looks gorgeous in Snes and Sega Saturn games. Grandia, Axelay and Layer Section are nicer looking than any polygon based game :D

Excellent we have gone from the mind numbing head wrecking console fanboy war to a nostalgic retro thread. Love it.

Super Nintendo, 64,000 colours.... still remember the advert for that!!!

i still remember the episode of gamesmaster (dominic diamond and the guy from the sky at night) where they first showed a vid of the snes & super mario world i was godsmacked, partly because i wouldnt be able to play this on my nes

and even older than that, i remember watching gamewizard (whateve that nintendo "movie" was called) and seeing mario 3....wow! (i also wanted on of the game gloves that he used)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

madrab wrote:
    i still remember the episode of gamesmaster (dominic diamond and the guy from the sky at night) where they first showed a vid of the snes & super mario world i was godsmacked, partly because i wouldnt be able to play this on my nes

and even older than that, i remember watching gamewizard (whateve that nintendo "movie" was called) and seeing mario 3....wow! (i also wanted on of the game gloves that he used)

I always remember seeing and playing Doom on the PC for the first time, I had never seen anything like it, actually thats probably the highlight of my life, sad really!

i used to make up excuses to go over to my cousins house just so i could play doom

Games master remeber that!!! "and your the winner of our golden joystick"

The nintendo power glove, a mate of mine had one of those, he got it in the states and used to play some car game with it...

What was the show on sky 1 called where people used to play against games "gladiators"? ayone remember?

Also i still have on tape an episode of some game show that the name just escapes me where voilet berlin shows us the new PlayStation and its amazingly comfortable controler!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

What was the show on sky 1 called where people used to play against games "gladiators"?

Gamesworld...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why do you always bring up the same stupid argument.

Nintendo is not only Mario and Zelda games, and when they do make them they are normally pretty good games.

I know calm the heads people. I was only joking. I do actually like Nintendo games.

BloodBath

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

iregk wrote:
    As I posted in another thread, everyone is going on about the preformance of the cell in comparrision to the xbox core. They are virtually the same thing people, the main difference being that sony are marketing everything around the cell and everyone is now in a frenzy about it!!!

Oh in case your questioning, i used to work in chip manufacturing for ibm, the company making both boxes cpu's and still know most guys that work there!!!
    There's a good write up of the cell architecture here detailing just how different it is from the Xbox360s powerpc based cores (altough it does include a powerpc like core aswell)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'll be a ps3 boy methinks. counting on my dedication to the ps and ps2 over the years to keep me interested.

not sure how i've resisted the temptation to put a deposit on a psp so far. my powers of self control are legendary. i knew those lessons in tantra would come in handy.

boy that ps3 is going to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

iregk wrote:

They are not virtually the same thing. Granted, the Cell will likely have a G5 GPU but it will not function like a traditional CPU most of the time. It will have more of a management role over the other components such as the APU's..

The Xbox will have 3 dual core G5s functioning together as out and out CPUs.

Both architectures, while both are multi-threaded, are very different. The Cell is quite a move away from the norm for mass market processors. They are touting this thing as being a monster and some even speculate it could even bring down Intel.

I personally think the speculation about its abilites are grossy exadurated but you never know...

I personally think the fact the one is using the next generation ATI GPU and the other is using Nvidia's next gen GPU means there will be little difference in performance between the 2. That is unless one manufacturer comes out with something totally radical and this is unlikely as they are both adhering to various roadmaps for APIs such as Direct X. Both pretty much know what the others is capable off.

I thought my Ps1 would have visuals surpassing the special effects in Terminator 2 and that the emotion engine in my PS2 would give the characters in game real emotions.

Lesson: Sony are the most successful bull****ters in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Retr0gamer wrote:
    ...the emotion engine in my PS2 would give the characters in game real emotions.

That'll hurt your PS2's feelings :(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

iregk wrote:

Hmmm... used to work there eh?
    were you sacked for breaching the Non disclosure agreement? maybe that is why you are so bitter now.

Anyway, who cares, let the guys fight about what is better, don't like it don't read it.

But back to topic.

Does anybody still remember the info Sony was putting out about the PS2 as it was in about the same stage the PS3 is now.

'The emotion engine(think that was the name) is soooooo powerful, that it will be able to render Toy Story in real time.
    yeah right.

agree with Retro, it will be the games that will decide the battle not the specs.

Spacedog wrote:
    That'll hurt your PS2's feelings :(:(:(:(
    and make baby jesus cry!

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Hmmm... used to work there eh?
    were you sacked for breaching the Non disclosure agreement? maybe that is why you are so bitter now.

Haha no i wasn't sacked. Just got tired of working for the 3rd Reich and saw the light!!!!

Have to agree with retro though, sony are the most sucessful bull****ers ever...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I certainly wouldn't disagree with the "efficiency" of Sonys marketing people, I'm pretty sure though that much of the actual detail available about the cell processor is from patent filings, which have to be reasonably accurate.

Advertisement