Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 and Xbox 360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

When the PS2 launched it didn't even take advantage of DVDs as the storage medium for the first handful of games and nearly all the games worth mentioning were out and out sequels. The DVD point is not big deal in itself admitedly but its sort of significant because every launch title was basically a 3rd or 4th sequel of thr PS1 launch games, i.e. the same game with improved textures.

Launch title being the important word there, PS2 games have come on alot dispite the early ones being lacking(e.g. GTA:SA is nothing like GTA1/2)

And as far as having a successfull title goes fancy textures make up a huge part of it, because you can put that on tv/posters etc... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BloodBath wrote:
    That's typical fanboy BS tbh. Nintendos line up is the usaual array of sequels as well as the odd original title. New mario, new mariokart, new mario party, new metroid, new zelda, pikmin 2, RE4, paper mario 2. Sequels aren't necessarily a bad thing.

BloodBath

Ironically I have only ever owned 1 Nintendo machine and am certainly not a fanboy. Although I do think the original Mairo Kart is the best game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

BloodBath wrote:
    That's typical fanboy BS tbh. Nintendos line up is the usaual array of sequels as well as the odd original title. New mario, new mariokart, new mario party, new metroid, new zelda, pikmin 2, RE4, paper mario 2. Practically every good game on the GC is a sequel. Sequels aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Just because games use the same IP doesn't mean they are not orignial.

Good point. Using Mario in 10 different games types is pretty original is it not? If they were all like Mario 64 then I would would agree, however they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ironically I have only ever owned 1 Nintendo machine and am certainly not a fanboy. Although I do think the original Mairo Kart is the best game ever.

I prefer the n64 version myself.
    Good point. Using Mario in 10 different games types is pretty original is it not? If they were all like Mario 64 then I would would agree, however they are not.

I never said it wasn't. I was just pointing out that there are just as many sequels on other machines as there is on the ps2. Like a said sequels aren't necessarily a bad thing.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The PS1 was a success because of its games..

The PS2 was success because of the PS brandname and intelligent marketing.

Yea, about right... both where/are a success because of gooding marketing of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

are people going to buy the new xbox when it's released? or wait for the ps3 & revolution to make an educated decision?

i'm aware of a good few xbox fans i know who are waiting... i'm sure opinions will sway depending on e3 this year. certainly microsoft took a bashing at the game developers conference for focusing on monotary gain at their key note speech (they gave hd-tvs away at the end, to which industry big-boys said "they're buying your alliegance"), while everyone else talked about the games themselves. woopsie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭monaghanforsam

is there any photos of the ps3 and x-box 360 i would say the x-box 360 will be the best console once it comes out

s there any photos of the ps3 and x-box 360 i would say the x-box 360 will be the best console once it comes out

You base that on what exactly?

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

are people going to buy the new xbox when it's released? or wait for the ps3 & revolution to make an educated decision?

If it's good I'll buy one. If the others then come out and are better I'll buy them too. To be honest I currently don't see it having anything that would persuade me to buy it, unless Mistwalker come up with something special perhaps.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote:
    You base that on what exactly?

BloodBath

photo's it seems ;) god bless him!!

Will be buying the Xbox at launch assuming the launch titles rumoured are remotely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well me personally i never do the stupid thing and jump straight away at the latest machine. I always wait a while until a) they have ironed the kinks of the first versions b) i get a good look at the machine and its games and finally c) price drop!

I'm leaning towards xbox360 at the moment purely because of the fact that I have an xbox, no other reason. That said I will wait and see what happens, what both machines are like and how they handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

1488407751772606.JPG

8390731317563729.JPG

1387385638449262.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

the big question about the 360 is how much all this online extra non gaming community stuff is going to cost

true, but i think the photos rock, think it looks cool. till be a nice side standing addition to the silver tv and stand etc... that i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Now just want the Mac G5 and an ipod and your set :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Everyone should start hating Microsoft for stealing Apples idea to use the colour white. How dare they, Apple invented that colour!

This is just after appearing around the place
    2 types of Xbox Live:
    Xbox Live Silver (no subscription required)
    Xbox Live Gold (subscription benefits)

Features for Gold service
    * Also for Silver
    # Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
    - Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) *
    - Free Xbox Live weekends *
    - Multiplayer online gameplay
    - Motto for gamer profile * #
    - Personalized look for Xbox System Guide * #
    - Offline achievments * #
    - Online achievements *
    - Access to other players' Gamer cards via Live *
    - Cumulative gamer score * #
    - Location/language profile * #
    - Reputation *
    - Enahnced matchmaking using above
    - Skill level matchmaking
    - Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
    - Recent players list *
    - Free and premium download game content *
    - Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv *
    - Downloadable demos/trailers *
    - Microtransactions *
    - Custom playlist in every game * #
    - Play music from portable devices * #
    - View images from digital camera * #
    - Strem media from Windows XP * #
    - Interactive screen savers * #
    - Track info for CDs * #
    - Communication with voice, video or text *

360 HW:
    1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
    2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
    4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
    5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
    6. Detachable 20GB drive
    7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
    - 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
    - 2 hardware threads per core
    - 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
    - 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
    - 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
    - 500 MNz
    - 10 MB embedded DRAM
    - 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
    - unified shader architecture

Memory
    -512 MB GDDR3 RAM
    - 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
    - 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    - 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    - 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
    - Mulitchannel surround sond output
    - Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
    - 320 independent decompression channels
    - 32 bit processing
    - 256+ audio channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Hmm wonder how much theyll charge to play multiplayer online :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

They'll probably charge whatever it costs to play them via a PC.

I'm a bit confused. Is Silver free? Then why have free Xbox live weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So most gamers being smart is the explaination for the dominance of NFSU of the charts for the last few weeks. Jade Empire only did well because it was made by Bioware and they are only now successful because they made a great Star Wars games. If KOTOR was by any other name it would have sold about 10 copies like the rest of Biowares games. Don't fool yourself, give a game enough hype and it will go straight to the top of the chart despite how bad it is. An extreme case expample would be Goldeneye Rogue agent.

It's the quality of the story (and the flashy box) that determine how well they sell their games. True with KOTOR they had the advantage of the star wars brand but Bioware seem to put a lot of effort into their games (Pity they didn't do KOTOR2). Even Jade Empire had an extremely detailed and excellent story and I only heard of it 2 weeks before it launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

my PC already does all that stuff

Gizzard wrote:
    my PC already does all that stuff

Ohh you are really smart.. How much did it cost you again?

And here is something you will know considering how smart you are. If the specs are correct, the Xbox 360 is gonna piss all over that wonderful PC of yours unless you spent about 3 grand in 6 months time again..

Well said. Was a pc man for years myself and got sick to death of picking up a game and reading right well can i run this or do i need to spend an extra €600!!!

So refreshing just walking in seeing the game you want and buying it...

I've been thinking about this, but don't the specs for the X-Box 360, aswell as what little is known about the PS3, seem ridiculously over powered?

As far as I remember the hardware in all previous generations of consoles were a bit behind the PC hardware of their time, but the ease of use, no need to worry about OS's eating CPU cycles, no compatibility issues and the fact that developers generally invested more in console games than PC games all made up for that.

But now, before you even take all the other factors in account, the technical specs of these consoles just seem to blow current PCs out of the water. Which makes me wonder how they're making it affordable.

Same as i said earlier. To my memory none of the previous gens of consoles matched or came close to a high end pc. These ones do though. They seem to have superior cpu's, the graphics cards are the same as top end pc ones atm and they have 512mb of ram without an OS to worry about. They should have huge potential but at what price? Looks like they will be losing money on the console sales right from the start.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    Same as i said earlier. To my memory none of the previous gens of consoles matched or came close to a high end pc. These ones do though. They seem to have superior cpu's, the graphics cards are the same as top end pc ones atm and they have 512mb of ram without an OS to worry about. They should have huge potential but at what price? Looks like they will be losing money on the console sales right from the start.

BloodBath

The Xbox will come in less than 400 euro I reckon..

The Graphics Card is based on ATi's next gen chipset so I would imagine it is going to considerably more powerful than the best available now..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I had both an x-box and a ps2 and to be honest i found them both good but nowhere as good as the old ps1 (didnt like th n64 cept goldeneye) and then again the ps1 wasnt as good as the old megadrive or snes although it came very close.
    The problem with the ps2 and the x box was the fact that most games on the consols were sequels with no origionality i mean i can remember playing the first tekken or tomb raider and been blown away saying it was something totally new but with the ps2 it was like yup done that in the last game, done that one too.
    Another problem was that the few totaly great games didnt get the same attention that beig games like ico or to a lesser extent the first onimusha which are 2 brilliant games.
    I used to be a complete hardcore gamer spending hours and hours and hours at video games a day but after the ps2/ x-box era games just got boring and were being sold on there graphics i got sick of it all that and now my ps2 is being used prety much as a dvd player now,i still play games just very seldom now well exept my old games consoles that is.
    Back on to the argument on which is better, i think itl be the console which is most powerfull or the console with the nicer controller to be honest cus most games are muliti-platform now anyways so people are either gonna go with the better looking game or the console with the comfyst controller,thats the way i was anyways i eventyally sold my x-box cuz the only really great exclusive game it had at the time was halo and halo 2 and they were both out or coming out on the pc,and the ps2 had the comfyst controller.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote:
    I had both an x-box and a ps2 and to be honest i found them both good but nowhere as good as the old ps1 (didnt like th n64 cept goldeneye) and then again the ps1 wasnt as good as the old megadrive or snes although it came very close.
    The problem with the ps2 and the x box was the fact that most games on the consols were sequels with no origionality i mean i can remember playing the first tekken or tomb raider and been blown away saying it was something totally new but with the ps2 it was like yup done that in the last game, done that one too.
    Another problem was that the few totaly great games didnt get the same attention that beig games like ico or to a lesser extent the first onimusha which are 2 brilliant games.
    I used to be a complete hardcore gamer spending hours and hours and hours at video games a day but after the ps2/ x-box era games just got boring and were being sold on there graphics i got sick of it all that and now my ps2 is being used prety much as a dvd player now,i still play games just very seldom now well exept my old games consoles that is.
    Back on to the argument on which is better, i think itl be the console which is most powerfull or the console with the nicer controller to be honest cus most games are muliti-platform now anyways so people are either gonna go with the better looking game or the console with the comfyst controller,thats the way i was anyways i eventyally sold my x-box cuz the only really great exclusive game it had at the time was halo and halo 2 and they were both out or coming out on the pc,and the ps2 had the comfyst controller.

I sort of agree. In that I preferred the PS1 to the current generation, although I don't think I could say I preferred my Megadrive to that, never owned a SNES though, been relying on emulation to catch up on those games...

I'm not sure if putting the blame on sequels is fair. GTA3 was a sequel but it was also for me the most jaw dropping game of this generation. And Vice City and San Andreas were just as much fun, I'm happy Rockstar went with those sequels than something original (eg State of Emergency), the chances of them making something that good again from scratch are fairly slim.

The problem at the moment is that graphics just can't impress anymore. I remember seeing Half Life 2 screenshots ages ago and thinking 'wow', then when I finally played it, it was indeed better looking than anything I'd played before, and near photo-realistic, but that didn't impress me. It's what you expect from a big release these days. GT4 looked stunning, but that didn't surprise me or impress me. Same can be said of numerous other games.

Whereas the PS1's graphics were like a whole other world at the time. I remember being shocked by Virtua Racing in the arcade, then a few months later I got to see a PS1 in action (Destruction Derby) and my jaw hit the floor. And that amazement wasn't just at launch titles, it continued when programmers came up with new techniques(Gran Turismo 1, oh my god!) FFVII's primitive graphics amazed me at the time, FFX's fantastic graphics pretty much went unnoticed on the PS2.

The next generation has something up its sleeve that could rekindle that sort of disbelief the PS1 brought though I hope. That's not the graphics, it's the processing power. I've read so many interviews with developers about the next generation, and they're always talking about the physics and how solid everything will be. That's what impressed me about Half Life 2. Not the graphics. And the scope is there for physics engines to do incredibly complex things and to make the worlds not just look real, but behave and feel real.Eg. you could have fighting games where characters actually collide properly and don't just go from set-animation to set-animation, and the benefits of this kind of thing for driving and action games goes without saying. And imagine if they used this kind of processing power to give characters dynamic AI in RPGs, that may be pushing it a bit too far but you can see where I'm going. The PS2 could do PS1 games in fancy clothing, but the next gen consoles should hopefully do so much more than that!

Then again I always try to be optimistic about things :)

Advertisement