Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MEPIS install problems

• 03-05-2005 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

After giving up on gentoo, I've decided to go back to MEPIS. Maybe someone has come across this before - a quick google turned up nothing helpful.

(This is all from memory so some details may seem sketchy). I boot from MEPIS live-cd, run system install, and everything goes smoothly - except for some reason my primary IDE channel / HDD is appearing as hde. I install to this partition anyway and arrive at the boot-loader installation. I want to boot from here, so I install grub to the mbr of hde. I reboot, remove CD and grub comes on screen. All choices lead to (I forget the exact wording) something like "Error 17 - partition not found".

I've tried booting from the live-cd again and editting the grub files. Its trying to boot from (hd4, 0) hde1. So I tried changing to (hd0, 0) hda1 (because it should be the first partition on the first hard-drive) - same errors at boot.

How do I find out what disk / partition I should be booting from?

Why is MEPIS being silly about this?

I do have a 2-channel PCI IDE adapter in this machine (which google seems to think is the problem), but this has never happened before with any other distro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

u gave up on gentoo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

nadir wrote:
    u gave up on gentoo :(

Kept dropping network connection during install. Drove me crazy. Didnt have the time to babysit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

hostyle wrote:
    How do I find out what disk / partition I should be booting from?
    Go into shell mode in GRUB and try GRUBs 'find' command, eg:
    "find /boot/grub/menu.lst" or
    "find /grub/menu.lst" (if /boot is on it's own partition).

Advertisement