Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finishing

Options
  • 03-05-2005 11:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to good finishing for pro evo 4 on xbox? My game has a lot of room for improvement, but even when I play people and am dominating them generally I just can't finish chances, I just lost a game to someone there even though I was all over them, they just got one sloppy chance and got ahead, while I spent ages attacking and kept hitting the post, missing or getting cut off at the last minute.

grrr.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

practice? :)

same boat here tbh. /me waves in boat. could have great play from defence up but teh final 1/3 is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol tbh i one of those cnuts who will sit back under pressure for whole game then with my 3 shots score 3 goals and win 3-0 :)

Really isnt a guide to finsihing just simple footy stuff, aim away from keeper etc:
    Only tap the shoot button for low finsihes 90% rate of scoring if into corner away from keeper. Or under depends on how quick you take the shot. Always shoot with players preferred foot, thats vital for your attempt to work out how youn want it.

If you find you have large distance running free before your shot Hold L1 and tap shoot for an easier than pulling down lob. Handy as it works from all angles once keeper off his line.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kaimera wrote:
    practice? :)

wha? That sounds like work to me!
    same boat here tbh. /me waves in boat.

/me waves back.

It's just frustraiting, something I guess I'll have to spend a day working on... along with a fair bit more..
    thanks for the pointers anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

You can dummy a shot to make the keeper dive in a one on one.Press shoot and right before he does press X and the direction you want to move and the keeper will dive leaving an empty net.
    Also when crossing press circle twice right from the byline ro produce a real pacey cross which is bound to create chances. If it's a counter attack press circle 3times for a cross along the ground which usually your player gets to first.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Bringing the ball around the keeper is the best I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Whack it from the halfway line when the ball rolls towards you. Results are surprising :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

More often than not it's easy to slip the ball past him as he advances out to you in one on one situations.For shots from distance it's all about getting the accuracy right and practising can easily get your screamers on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭mada999

lots of easy ways to score...

I like chipping the keeper....or just going around the keeper for the tap in.
    fave is a header at the near post from a cross priceless! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Look at the guides, they are good
    Finishing:

1 on 1's:

Lob:
    I think this is the worst option, I think if you miss, theres no rebound, and imo its very hard to do.

Shoot Early:
    If you do this, you have to do it at the right moment, timing is everything.
    You need to look at the player, and decide which corner to aim to.
    If you are on the upper half of the pitch, you should shoot to the lower half, and vice versa.
    Do not just tap shoot, hold it for a half second and you will always get rebounds.

Shoot late:
    You wait just until the keeper is upon you, and you jst tap shoot, and the player will either nick it over or tap it under.
    However if you miss, you lose the chance.

Dummy:

One of the easiest ways to score.
    give yourself some space, press shoot then qquickly pass and press the diret you want to turn, then shoot, goal.
    Easy peasy.

Turn to side foot it in:

If you are running left to right,
    If you are in the upper half, press down and run a step, and then side foot it into the bottom corner.
    This works best in this exmaple with a right footed player.

Through ball on to another player:

If you run on, and you play a decent formation, there should always be another player to your side, and the best way to score is to press triangle towards him and to tap it in.
    Wait til the keeper is nearish to you, and make sure you have a passing option, and make sure he is onside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I've been trying to figure if pressing the shot direction after pressing shoot work better than aiming before pressing shoot.

anybody have a preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I'm not really in any position to give advice, cos i'm kinda crap. Teaching someone how to shoot in PES is almost impossible. Usually you'll just be told that you have to get the "feel" for it. I used to never score, now i'm okay, but i didn't notice anything specifically changing with the way i shoot. I'm a slow player once i get into the final third. Against other people, I have patience and take a long time to find a way through the defence.

The best advice points i can give are:

1. In PES4, it seems you need a little more power for most shots than in previous versions. Shots that bounce before reaching the goalmouth have a much higher chance of being saved in PES4 than PES3.

2. In my experience (this is likely wrong, but it's the way it feels for me), the accuracy of your shot (i.e. straight to the keeper or into a corner) seems to depend more on getting the power bar right than what direction you put on the d-pad. Weird, but there you go.

3. One touch shots (from a short pass or through ball in and around the box) seem to have a much better chance of going in for me.

4. One touch shots and shots while sprinting need more power than shots while jogging. The players seem to be able to keep these shots down better.

5. If shooting from distance, the best bet is to be running roughly south-east (playing West to East) and slightly north of the center of the goalmouth when your shot is released. In this case i usually aim for south side of the goal. If i have to keep going beyond the centerline, i'll aim back across the keeper to the north side, but you have to be closer for that shot to go in.

6. Despite what kdjac says (and i'm not disagreeing with him, cos i suck and he doesn't), i find that that the R1 chipped shot works pretty well for me. Give it a big belt of power and press R1 right after pressing shoot.

Hope this stuff helps. Remember, just keep working on your power bar and you should find shots hitting the net more often.

Advertisement