Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fourth Mobile Phone Network?

Options
  • 03-05-2005 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

does anyone know anything about the fourth Mobile phone network? i know its 3 mobile? what are they like does anyonee know? also i have heard that eircom are thinking of coming back into the mobile rat race again!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes 089 numbers have been given to company called clever or clear communications. meteor might sell there company to eircom but its not sure yet.
    hope something happens soon as irish fone prices are toooo high.
    089 will be expensive as they have to buy minutes from the other 3 companys at the moment until degregulates and mins ar given to them
    lets wait and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

theres also 083 coming out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

A quick look at the comreg site shows that:

Hutchinson 3G (three) have got
    • 083 00x xxxx
    • 083 30x xxxx
    • 083 31x xxxx
    • 083 33x xxxx
    and the relevant 083 5-xxx xxxx numbers

Imagine Mobile (www.imaginemobile.com) have 084 2xx xxxx and 084 5-2xx xxxx

Clever Communications have 089 3xx xxxx (but seemingly not the voicemail numbers)

It appears that 089 has been set aside for the MVNOs (according to this document

HTH

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

So basicely there are 6 networks :confused::confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

All I can see happening is 3 coming within the next year and thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

1huge1 wrote:
    All I can see happening is 3 coming within the next year and thats it

3 are due to go live next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

SF1 wrote:
    So basicely there are 6 networks :confused::confused: .
    The whole buying minutes thing is crap in my view it, reminds me about spirit telecom and how I can still call through them and never get a bill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There will be 4 physical network providers come the end of the Summer:

Vodafone
    O2
    Meteor
    Three

There has been persistent rumours that Eircom are to take over Meteor. It was rumoured that Eircom were going to launch as a Virtual Operator but I personally don't think this will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

elderlemon wrote:
    3 are due to go live next month.

Really!? u no any more... dates ect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Does anyone know if they are ever going to launch here? I have been waiting patiently for two years now.

EDIT: I had posted this seperately, didn't realise this thread existed. Thanks to who ever moved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

yes they are, they are currently testing in dublin at the moment. i think they are going to be launching this summer.. have a look at this forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=252311

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

CPW has said that 3 will launch in June or July. Although the Irish Times says the launch may be pushed back to the Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Weren't 3 supposed to Launch in September 03? Does their licence not say they have to be up and running at some stage or have ComReg forgotten to enforce this? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

k, lets rally up all these rumours and facts about 3 together. i know some people know a good bit ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Why would Eircom take over Meteor? It's not like Meteor are doing badly or are a small Irish company. Their parent company is doing very well apparently and recent figures put Meteor up 10% of market share, or something along those lines.

I really, really, really don't want an Eircom take over. They'd no doubt screw everyone out of free texts for life and so on and so forth. Eircom used to own Eircell, didn't they? Bit of a step backwards for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

halenger wrote:
    Why would Eircom take over Meteor? It's not like Meteor are doing badly or are a small Irish company. Their parent company is doing very well apparently and recent figures put Meteor up 10% of market share, or something along those lines.

I really, really, really don't want an Eircom take over. They'd no doubt screw everyone out of free texts for life and so on and so forth. Eircom used to own Eircell, didn't they? Bit of a step backwards for them.

Is it that you genuinely cannot see why they would wanna take em over or is that you are in denial?

It would allow Eircom to offer combined mobile and fixed line services and basically save the company playing second fiddle to mobile companies through their over dependency on an antiquated, under resourced, under competiting, shrinking landline business :)

It would also be a shrewd bit of business considering how much their sold Eircell to Vodafone a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

phones are great

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

i just did a survey today about mobile phone usage. Though they tried to cover it up, it was pretty clear it was three conducting the survey. So looks like they are certainly getting the ball rolling anyway.

Surely though if they were closer to launching we would have heard more. Running an operation of that nature requires quite an amount of staff.... we'd see more leaks... more job adverts etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

In the case of Meteor the situation is as such, the current owners (Western Wireless) have appointed a financial inst. (in this case Deutshe Bank) to act as a kind of estate agent for all their european operations...they also have companies in Slovenia and Austria. Alltel ,who are in negotiations with the Federal Monopolies Commission in USA on their takeover of WW, dont see Meteor as being a part of their framework in the future. Meteor is currently doing well and WW have pumped a lot of money in lately, but in much the same way as a person does when trying to sell a car or house. At the end of the day the identity of the new owners of Meteor will come down to two things.....money and a nod from Alltel. Eircom from what I know are in heavy negotiation but the stumbling block at the moment is how much they're willing to pay....some reports say as much as €50m in the difference. Other likely candidates could be private equity firms such as Soros (who once held shares in Meteor) or Communicorp (Denis O Brien). It should all be clearer in about 6-8 weeks time......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just to throw a completely un-confirmed rumour in, I heard recently that 3 have applied for (possibly received) planning permission to build a temporary third chimney beside the power-plant in Dublin port to stand for about a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What does it mean for meteors free texts if they are bought out in the near future? Do you think eircom or other potential buyers would keep the offer going? It might be a little suicidial to end them after coming new to the market in Ireland whilst having to fight vodafone and o2, but you never know....

I'll be in big trouble if they are ended :o

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

might be tricky to do it. In that they might not be able to force you. But they could do it by saying that in order to avail of new tariffs you have to give them up.

Advertisement