Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirate Radio Station (setting one up?????)

• 04-05-2005 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

lads, anyone out there know how to set up a radio station? what equippment you need, where you can buy it?

what's all the legal stuff about? is there anyway around it?
    i remember radio friendly getting stoped a few years ago for running without a licence but there are loads of pirate radio stations still out there, how?
    (Club FM in cork are knocking out music, utter crap thou!) :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭DJ RichieParker

check this out rite, "i know a lad" in kilkenny who basically lives in a bungallow and has the ariel in his chimney with the lead comming out of the fireplace and into his room to his transmitter and the dex into the transmitter, the fireplace aint in use obiviously but ya get the picture, now the ariel is just bairley sticking up out of the chimney but even if it wasnt it doesnt effect the signal, but he can broudcast 6 miles out of the city..

Now, that is the basic set up of it, a lot less complicated then "the lad" thought it was gona be..

Now to get a better signal allthough your lads is fine in da chimney, you can get boosters and also have your ariel up on a mountain and all that **** but hey this is the basic course..

Also what would be very handy and its essential really is a ting called a compressor, if you dont know this will limit whatever music you are playing to the same level all the time, i.e put on a record and its much louder than the other it will compress it same loudness as the other or to what volume you have it set, now you might say **** that blast the **** out of it, but all you will get in your mates car radio buzzin da streets is distortion so get a compressor..

Now as regards where to get one, the lad i know got a loan of one from a mate in dublin, now there is a shop in the south east which is very repitable they sell hi-fi's etc tv's but in the back they make transmitters, now the price my mate was quoted was a 1000bucks, for your grand you would get a cracking little transmitter, deadly ariel and also your compressor, the best thing about buying it from a shop here in eire is that you can bring it back and get it fixed if it breaks, ya see you can get transmitters shipped from the uk and there in loads of parts as they are illegal once put together, now i know someone who did that and put it together, took him a while but got it going, personally though if i had the cash id get it in that shop...

The legal side of it, ok man its illegal but i dont know anyone who went to jail over radion piracy, now it has got increasingly tighter but another guy i know got over 15 letters asking him to turn off his radio before they came looking for him, Idealy try not to have your studio equipment in the same room as your transmitter as your studio stuff could be taken, but listen dude remember you have a right to silence and just make sure they have a warrent. my feeling is if your just knocking out toons and not advertising and not taking other licenced stations buisness they couldnt give a ****..

for the name of that shop or any other questions pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭voakesy

just wondering mate whats da name of da shop that sells the transmitters??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

There are many websites selling them: http://www.veronica.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

, the lad i know got a loan of one from a mate in dublin
    ah yes, the whole friend of a friend who knows a guy who might have a contact who can get you what you want kinda thingie, say no more!!

Thanks for the info, so i need a compressor, transmitter, ariel and thats about it, is it? about 1000euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 idj

Good luck Rollo.
    What sounds will you be bringing to Munster.
    I can understand why you would want to do it. The radio stations around cork/waterford are not up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

idj wrote:
    I can understand why you would want to do it. The radio stations around cork/waterford are not up to it.
    Same for the whole of Ireland. I do realise we have a little more choice up here but generally hate the IRTC or whatever they're called, for taking away the small amount of genre-specific music I had growing up. Thank god for Nova and the other few small off-peak ones :D

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

idj wrote:
    What sounds will you be bringing to Munster.

Cheers, if it gets off the ground it be dance orientated with mostly house music, i have a few mates who dj in nightclubs in waterford and know for sure they would be interested in helping out. There are no good radio stations in ireland broadcasting nationwide, any dance shows that have been produced on 2fm have been utter crap, commerical trance or hard house is all i ever hear. Its not good enough and is driving me demented.

The stumbling block to setting up this station is the cost, 1000E is hard to come by and the risk is high

Advertisement